Speeds significantly reduced

Windows specific questions, problems.
noneyabiz

Speeds significantly reduced

Post by noneyabiz »

I switched from utorrent to qbittorrent recently. I signed up for surfshark and At first the speeds were excellent however the speed is so much slower now. I also noticed that none of the torrents are uploading anything during and after downloading. Not sure if this is the reason but I did make a change in the settings to attach qbittorrent to the VPN so that it does not download in case the VPN connection drops. Attached are screen shots of some of the settings. I've used similar settings in utorrent and had no issues.
Attachments
Capture2.PNG
Capture2.PNG (53.34 KiB) Viewed 1637 times
Capture1.PNG
Capture1.PNG (48.89 KiB) Viewed 1637 times
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (40.26 KiB) Viewed 1637 times
FranciscoPombal

Re: Speeds significantly reduced

Post by FranciscoPombal »

Seems like you have "maximum active downloads" and "maximum active uploads" set too low in your settings. Other than that, I would suggest bumping the number of async I/O threads in the advanced settings to 8 if you have and HDD, or 4x the number of CPU cores you have if you have an SSD.
noneyabiz

Post by noneyabiz »

The reason I had reduced the max active download and upload is because of the speed issue. The maximum speed i am averaging is 1mbps. I have 1gbps connection. With multiple running at same time it cuts the speed per torrent down significantly. Before I binded it to the VPN specific connection I was getting anywhete between 1mbps up to 15 mbps per torrent with multiple torrents at same time.
Do i need to have it attached to the vpn specific connection that I highlighted in advanced settings? I did that only as a precaution but I'm not sure if its needed.
FranciscoPombal

Post by FranciscoPombal »

noneyabiz wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:26 pm Do i need to have it attached to the vpn specific connection that I highlighted in advanced settings? I did that only as a precaution but I'm not sure if its needed.
If you want the traffic to only go through the VPN, yes.
noneyabiz wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:26 pm The reason I had reduced the max active download and upload is because of the speed issue. The maximum speed i am averaging is 1mbps. I have 1gbps connection. With multiple running at same time it cuts the speed per torrent down significantly. Before I binded it to the VPN specific connection I was getting anywhete between 1mbps up to 15 mbps per torrent with multiple torrents at same time.
I guess this means the VPN connection is bottlenecking you. If you don't restrict qBittorrent to the VPN interface, it will use all interfaces, even without VPN. The fact that you observe the performance loss if you use only the VPN makes me think that it's an issue with the VPN.