Update loses data?

Windows specific questions, problems.
cloudtorrentseeker

Update loses data?

Post by cloudtorrentseeker »

Hello. I just updated qBittorrent from 3.3.3 to the latest (4.2.5). During the installation of the new version, it said something like "we are going to uninstall the old version, your data won't be lost". I clicked "OK" and the new version was successfully installed. But when I opened it, it is completely blank. The torrents that I was downloading are... gone. No clue of them. How do I get my data back, please?
FranciscoPombal

Re: Update loses data?

Post by FranciscoPombal »

It is possible that there was some problem migrating the .fastresumes from the old to the new version, and they could have even been deleted. .fastresumes are files that contain metadata that qBittorrent uses to keep track of torrents that are added to it. If they are deleted, qBittorrent forgets about the torrents, but no actual payload data is deleted from your hard drive. Check your files, they should all still be there.

However, this is still strange. Are you sure you weren't using a different profile/"portable mode"? It might also be the case that, 3.3.x being so old, between versions 3.3.x and 4.2.5 the .fastresume save location changed. If this is the case, the .fastresumes likely weren't even touched at all; 4.2.5 is simply looking for them in a new location that's different from the old one, and thus not finding anything.

At worst, you will have to manually add all torrents back to qBittorrent, but at least you haven't lost any actual data that you would need to re-download.
cloudtorrentseeker

FranciscoPombal wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:18 pm It is possible that there was some problem migrating the .fastresumes from the old to the new version, and they could have even been deleted. .fastresumes are files that contain metadata that qBittorrent uses to keep track of torrents that are added to it. If they are deleted, qBittorrent forgets about the torrents, but no actual payload data is deleted from your hard drive. Check your files, they should all still be there.

However, this is still strange. Are you sure you weren't using a different profile/"portable mode"? It might also be the case that, 3.3.x being so old, between versions 3.3.x and 4.2.5 the .fastresume save location changed. If this is the case, the .fastresumes likely weren't even touched at all; 4.2.5 is simply looking for them in a new location that's different from the old one, and thus not finding anything.

At worst, you will have to manually add all torrents back to qBittorrent, but at least you haven't lost any actual data that you would need to re-download.
Hello and thank you for helping. I've found the .fastresume files!

They are at C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\qBittorrent\BT_backup and they are named like xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.fastresume.0, yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.fastresume.1, etc.

In the same folder there are equally numbered files named like xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.torrent, yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.torrent, etc. And also a file named "queue" (with no extension).

Where should I put these files to make qbittorrent recognize them and continue downloading?
Last edited by cloudtorrentseeker on Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tmlille79

Post by tmlille79 »

same problem here. backed up my qbittorrent-folders both local and roaming, uninstalled 4.2.5 and reinstalled 3.3.1 again. All was still there luckily. Have to dig a bit deeper before trying again :)
FranciscoPombal

cloudtorrentseeker wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:52 pm Hello and thank you for helping. I've found the .fastresume files!

They are at C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\qBittorrent\BT_backup and they are named like xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.fastresume.0, yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.fastresume.1, etc.

In the same folder there are equally numbered files named like xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.torrent, yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.torrent, etc. And also a file named "queue" (with no extension).

Where should I put these files to make qbittorrent recognize them and continue downloading?
They are in the correct folder, but they I don't why they have the ".0", ".1", ... at the end. Maybe that was a thing in those ancient versions? Nowadays, the fast resumes are just named xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.fastresume. You could try renaming them so that they no longer end in ".0", ".1", ... and see if that works (try with only one torrent first to see if it works).
FranciscoPombal

tmlille79 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:06 pm same problem here. backed up my qbittorrent-folders both local and roaming, uninstalled 4.2.5 and reinstalled 3.3.1 again. All was still there luckily. Have to dig a bit deeper before trying again :)
Granted, qBittorrent's .fastresume upgrade mechanism could be more sophisticated, but still - if you stay on old versions long enough, you eventually become "stuck" with them.
cloudtorrentseeker

FranciscoPombal wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:20 pm They are in the correct folder, but they I don't why they have the ".0", ".1", ... at the end. Maybe that was a thing in those ancient versions? Nowadays, the fast resumes are just named xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.fastresume. You could try renaming them so that they no longer end in ".0", ".1", ... and see if that works (try with only one torrent first to see if it works).
It worked. That ".0", ".1" etc. at the end was the only issue. Renaming them made qBittorrent recognize them as expected.

Thank you for your help!
FranciscoPombal

No problem, happy torrenting!
laz305

Post by laz305 »

I just updated and now all my files no longer have a number next to them. They all have a * and I rely on those numbers heavily. Can I get them all numbered again somehow?