Fast download but no upload at all

Windows specific questions, problems.
TheFlyingCelt

Fast download but no upload at all

Post by TheFlyingCelt »

Hi y'all,
I use qBittorrent for years now and I've never been able to upload. Download works as it should, but no upload, at all. Ports are open on the router, firewall is open, and upload works with any other torrent client.
Why?
Thanks
TheFlyingCelt

Re: Fast download but no upload at all

Post by TheFlyingCelt »

Nobody? ???
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

Well, do you seed something that people actually need/want?
Mostly all torrents are over-seeded on private trackers.

Try adding a bunch of Linux ISOs and see if that seeds.
TheFlyingCelt

Post by TheFlyingCelt »

Hi Peter,
yes I tried that and it won't upload. On average only 1 out of 100 users that connect to me actually are able to download.
FranciscoPombal

Post by FranciscoPombal »

TheFlyingCelt wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:14 pm Hi Peter,
yes I tried that and it won't upload. On average only 1 out of 100 users that connect to me actually are able to download.
It is completely normal that you don't upload a lot on Linux ISOs - they are extremely well seeded. Remember, you will only be able to upload a lot if there exists demand that can be filled by you. If many others are already satisfying the demand, it is normal for each individual contribution to be relatively small.

As for "On average only 1 out of 100 users that connect to me actually are able to download.", you probably mean the temporary peers that appear in the Peers tab every now and then and disappear quickly - those are mostly not even actual clients on the other side - just stray non-BitTorrent connections from bots, etc that don't even make it past the handshake. They are not normal users that you're failing to upload to.
TheFlyingCelt

Post by TheFlyingCelt »

Hi @FranciscoPombal and thanks for your comment.
I understand what you're saying, I didn't know that. Yet, it seems very strange to me that nobody can ever download from me. Even if I leave any kind of file there available, many or few peers, my upload is always 0. When I tried with other clients I can see that it's transferring to others.
Only a very few times in years I've seen my qBittorrent actually uploading.
There must be something wrong... :-\
Last edited by TheFlyingCelt on Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
FranciscoPombal

Post by FranciscoPombal »

TheFlyingCelt wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:08 am Hi @FranciscoPombal and thanks for your comment.
I understand what you're saying, I didn't know that. Yet, it seems very strange to me that nobody can ever download from me. Even if I leave any kind of file there available, many or few peers, my upload is always 0. When I tried with other clients I can see that it's transferring to others.
Only a very few times in years I've seen my qBittorrent actually uploading.
There must be something wrong... :-\
Well, if you don't upload anything at all, even across multiple torrents, and if you notice that other clients can upload significantly more data on equivalent torrents at similar times on the same machine and network, then there is most likely some issue. Most likely some misconfiguration on your end, probably in qBittorrent.

I would start by checking if the port qBittorrent is listening in is open or not with these services:
https://canyouseeme.org/
https://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/
http://www.ipv6scanner.com/cgi-bin/main.py

Then, I would try reproducing the problem with the latest version of qBittorrent with all default settings (backup your existing ones and delete them from the original location before starting qBittorrent). https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorr ... s_settings

Once you've tried this, report back.
TheFlyingCelt

Post by TheFlyingCelt »

Hi again,
I tried everything you suggested, and it just won't upload.
Works fine with any other torrent client. :-[
TheFlyingCelt

Post by TheFlyingCelt »

This is a screenshot I took to show you number of seeds and peers and upload speed. It's always like that, no matter which file.
I have tested BitTorrent and uTorrent these days and they work like a charm, although I still like QBitTorrent more and I wish I could make it work.
Attachments
qbittorrent.jpg
qbittorrent.jpg (843.29 KiB) Viewed 18172 times
Madamukira

Post by Madamukira »

I face the same problem as well, even if its utorrent or qbittorrent it download great but no upload at all even if it is connected to peers.
I use windows 10, every test goes perfectly. Sometimes when restarted upload goes to 20kb/s but gradually drops to 1b/s.
My downloads are from private tracker and I need to seed as I wish to have a good ratio.

any clues?
Attachments
Screenshot_1.png
Screenshot_1.png (26.93 KiB) Viewed 18131 times
FireExit

Post by FireExit »

Madamukira wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:19 pm I face the same problem as well, even if its utorrent or qbittorrent it download great but no upload at all even if it is connected to peers.
If you want help, please post a new thread as your problem is completely different from the OP, as you get the same results with different clients (as opposed to OP) and you also are having problems downloading (different from OP). Your problem is not going to have the same cause.

-FireExit