Bulk Change File Location

Windows specific questions, problems.
newmy51

Bulk Change File Location

Post by newmy51 »

Hello QBT Forums,

I am running v4.3.7 on a Win10 machine, and wish to perform a mass migration of media from an old HDD to a new one, and update QBT's file locations accordingly. I will be keeping the same file structure as on the previous drive, simply changing the base drive letter. I vaguely remember there being a program/utility to do this on uTorrent ages ago. The closest I can find to an equivalent for QBT is this:

https://github.com/jslay88/qbt_migrate

which, I'll be honest, I find intimidatingly technical and command line-y. Is this the best/only option?

Thanks in Advance,

-newmy51
unseen19
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Bulk Change File Location

Post by unseen19 »

Hi,

So same computer, but replacing the data drive hosting the torrent files for another one?
The system drive (C:) does not change?

If yes you have for example these 2 migration paths, nothing fancy

#You have an easy folder structure:
If all your torrents are in default download location for example, connect the new drive with a different letter and select "set location' in QBT.
You can move them all to a different drive/folder in a raw directly with QBT, that's ok if you do all operations in QBT only

#You have a complex folder structure or you want to keep the actual structure
Stop QBT, connect the new disk. Then copy all the old drive to the new one.
Once done, change the drive letter of the old drive, and assign it to the new one.

If the disk contains the OS, so you have a single drive for OS+Data, make an offline clone of the drive to the new disk and that's it.
Please give your exact situation to better can be helped :)
newmy51

Re: Bulk Change File Location

Post by newmy51 »

unseen19 wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:05 am
#You have a complex folder structure or you want to keep the actual structure
Stop QBT, connect the new disk. Then copy all the old drive to the new one.
Once done, change the drive letter of the old drive, and assign it to the new one.
beautiful. I don't know why I didn't think of this before. This is exactly the solution that will work for me. Thank you!