[solved] search plugin non supported!!

Windows specific questions, problems.
sturmtruppen

[solved] search plugin non supported!!

Post by sturmtruppen »

Hi,
I upgraded to the latest version of the program but it deleted all search plugins and when I try to install them again it gives me always the same error "unable to install plugin ... extension not supported". What can I do?
Thanks, Gianni
BaRe

Re: search plugin non supported!!

Post by BaRe »

Hi i have the same trouble i'm on windows 10 v4.3.9
izzi

Post by izzi »

Hey, I have had the same problem for around 1 week and finally resolved it today. Here's what I did:

1. I completely uninstalled qbittorrent using Revo Uninstaller (Windows --> Settings -->Add or Remove Programs will probably work too) with all components checked
  • x Remove files
    x Remove shortcuts
    x Remove file associations
    x Remove registry keys
    x Remove Windows Firewall rule
    x Remove configuration files
    x Remove torrents and cached data
    If you use Windows --> Settings -->Add or Remove Programs instead of Revo Uninstaller, I'd recommend going into the Registry with Regedit and deleting any qbittorrent entries you find in there too, which is basically what Revo Uninstaller does.

2. reset my computer, (maybe unnecessary)
3. re-installed qbittorrent v4.3.9
4. then I was finally able to successfully re-install search plugins

Those steps fixed the problem for me but I am still not sure what exactly the problem was. It's possible that a search plugin requiring a higher version of Python than you have installed breaks the search plugin functionality entirely. I notice that RuTracker just updated their search plugin on November 20, 2021 which requires Python v3.9 and I only had Python v3.8.5 installed. I think I first noticed the qbittorrent search feature completely stop working around November 20, so maybe that broke it.

Origin story: I have used qbittorrent on Windows 10 without issue since 2018 up through qbittorrent v4.3.9 in early November. qbittorrent v4.3.9 worked fine for over a week then one the Search feature inexplicably stopped working and an error message was on the middle of the window. I think it said something like "No search plugins installed."

Before uninstalling & reinstalling qbittorrent I tried reinstalling individual search plugins that required lower versions of Python than my installed version, but it didn't work and I got the "Plugin is not supported" error message. After uninstalling & reinstalling qbittorrent I thought it didn't work because at first I failed to install RuTracker from the qbittorrent plugin Github page https://github.com/qbittorrent/search-p ... ch-plugins and got the same message "Plugin is not supported." On closer inspection the latest version of RuTracker was upgraded to require Python v3.9 but the version I had installed was Python v3.8.5 so I tried installing other search plugins that required versions of Python below v3.8.5 and they successfully installed. Later I installed Python v3.10, which is the highest version currently required by a search plugin on the search plugin Github page. I think I recall individual search plugins break or go obsolete in the past but only got an error message about that single plugin. I'm not sure why one individual search plugin getting updated would cause all the other search plugins to stop working too.

Another (unlikely) factor is that I also uninstalled VB-Audio virtual audio cable software before testing if uninstalling & reinstalling qbittorrent fixed the problem. I doubt that the VB-Audio virtual cable had anything to do with it but I uninstalled it out of desperation for a solution because it was the most suspicious and unnecessary program I installed after installing the most recent version of qbittorrent v4.3.9 in early November. I just thought I'd mention it in case anyone else happens to have installed VB-Audio following qbittorrent and ran into the unsupported search plugin problem also.

I hope this helps others out there. Please report any easier solutions if you find them or if it's a bug that gets fixed. Good luck!
Sovietlicht

Post by Sovietlicht »

I'm sorry the problem is not solved after doing what you did
I think this problem is more wide-spreading for that I can't install some of search plugins ,such as EZTV,JACKETT on a Linuxmint terminal just as I can't
on Windows when it's v.4.3.9.
amrena

Post by amrena »

Hello!
Sorry to say..I got the same problem when updgrading to lastest version all plug-in was missing... I have tried with reinstallation, as well as installing an older software version, but same problem.
Strange, as it have been working for me for a long time, and have made any software update..Runing Windows 10.
Sovietlicht

Post by Sovietlicht »

I found if we click Check Updates in the plug-in interface,the plug-ins would just emerge.
This has worked for few times I tried,you can try it. :)
coffeecupman

Post by coffeecupman »

Hi all,

I've been plagued with this for six months now. It all started when I had to migrate to a new laptop after my old one broke down.

Just today, I tried to completely uninstall qb with all the boxes ticked (I backed up my torrents elsewhere), and do a fresh reinstall of 4.41.

When I try to add a search plugin, I get the not supported message.

Despite the uninstall, when I click "check for updates", qb seems to know that I had previous installations of search plugins, because it opens error message windows for all of the ones I used to have installed. It seems somehow that plugin information may be stored somewhere that isn't removed/renewed after an uninstall? But I don't know where that would be. I have Python 3.9.2 and am using Windows 11 (although this problem started while I was on Win 10).

So, what deep dark folder do I need to delete in order to get a fresh start with search plugins? Above it's mentioned that success was had by removing some search engines that required a nosebleed high python version to run, but I can't even get access to remove the fragments of the old plugins, as the list of Installed plugins is empty.

Anyone have any ideas of where to look for these fragments so I can get a fresh start?
evr

Post by evr »

Same problem..
Have uninstalled and reinstalled multiple versions..
No luck..
Has anyone seen if qt is working on this..?
Hate to do it, I've been using (and donating) to qt for years but any good alternatives..?
chordchanger

Post by chordchanger »

I had this same problem. I tried all the aforementioned techniques to no avail. Finally I renamed the rutracker.py plugin (located in the engines folder) to rutracker.pyold. I downloaded the latest rutracker.py plugin and manually put in my credentials and located it in the same folder while maintaining the correct name(rutracker.py). When i went into qbittorrent and updated the plugins, they all reappeared and work as they should. Summary: manually updating my rutracker plugin got everything to return to normal in my case. I am on Widows 11 with the latest qbittorrent client(4.41) at this time. Hope this helps some of you.
ABINO

Post by ABINO »

Was having the same problem. Update from 3.8 psy to 10 did not make a difference. Grabbed everything from the "engine" folder and moved it into a folder called "engine.old" in the same directory. Opened Qbit and all my old plugs refreshed and were good to go!
pls1909

Post by pls1909 »

ABINO wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:32 pm Was having the same problem. Update from 3.8 psy to 10 did not make a difference. Grabbed everything from the "engine" folder and moved it into a folder called "engine.old" in the same directory. Opened Qbit and all my old plugs refreshed and were good to go!
[REPLY 28.11.2022]
YESSSSS !!!
After many months trying a hundred solutions, at last ALBINO (THE GREAT!) found the solution and finally it works.
Greetings from Spain
P.