Thinking of switching back to uTorrent...

Windows specific questions, problems.
Griev3r

Thinking of switching back to uTorrent...

Post by Griev3r »

I've been using qbittorent for several months and it was working wonderfully, until a few hours ago. Something happened and apparently there was some sort of automatic update? But it restarted and I had to "agree" to a statement that uploading torrents is my own responsibility. No biggie, I said. I know that.

However, half of my damn torrents were gone from the transfer list. They weren't downloaded yet, and I'll be damned if I remember what they were. Yay magnet links <.<

On top of that, apparently getting I/O errors is common place now, they happen with every other torrent file. I have ample space on my HDD...this makes me very sad as I loved this program until now.

Also for some reason, the newer versions of this program seem to hog too much CPU/RAM.

FYI, running on Windows 7. Version 3.0.6 (think I had this version for a little while now)
Last edited by Griev3r on Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
ironcross

Re: Thinking of switching back to uTorrent...

Post by ironcross »

Very strange.
There is no full automatic update in qB. There is only automatic check for a new version in sourceforge and the program just tells you if there one. You must agree to download it and then start the installation manually. So qB doesn't updates itself automatically in the background (as i understand from your post). And as far as i remember the update doesn't requires system restart and there is no such statement about uploading torrents on your own responsibility.
Griev3r

Post by Griev3r »

I'm not 100% sure it updated, just felt that way. But I remember it usually asks if I want to and I already had 3.0.6 installed anyway. But the message came up which was strange. Then the whole I/O issue. Installing an older version of the program showed me that message again so maybe its a new installation thing - which doesn't explain why I saw it.

Anyhow...downloading utorrent 2.2 as we speak. It's gonna take me a few hours to hunt all my torrent files again. Damn.
Avelon

Post by Avelon »

@Ironcross: Oh yes, there is the dialogue that tells you that by downloading (or so) a torrent you automatically upload which the user takes responsibility for. You can see it in the qBittorrent.ini file, too.

You could look up your windows-log to see if you installed a new programm. I'd also like to know what I/O-Errors you get. There's the execution-log within qBittorrent. What does it tell? Are you still interested or do you stick witu uT now?

edit: I think maybe your .ini got corrupted. Or did you run any system-cleaners? Tweaked anything?

edit No2: Or maybe none of this, but the thing with the new installation. It probably just uses standard paths like User/Documents/Downloads again. Were those missing files in qB still on your disk? Custom path? What about the ' User/YOU/appData/Local/qBittorrent/qB-backup' folder?
Last edited by Avelon on Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

Your files got corrupt somehow? Seriously, there is no auto-update... that's the only thing I can think of.
Maybe we should have a dialog for such. Or a feature to back things up.
(Hmm I like this. Like having a function to save the whole settings stuff into a different folder zipped for example.)
Griev3r

Post by Griev3r »

I traveled and didn't get to use the program for a while, sorry for the delay in my reply fellas. For the record I didn't install anything new before the issue, nor am I worried about the missing torrents anymore (and when they got deleted, the ones that were partially downloaded remained - rest weren't started).

I came back, re-installed the program. Everything was going smoothly for days on end. Until yesterday, same problem. I'm downloading a few torrents, and every little bit I get an I/O error (or several in a row freezing QBittorent for a moment), and then the file is paused. I start it again, goes okay for a little while, usually slower than it should be (plenty of seeders available too). Then again I get the I/O error, and it gets pause.

I checked the log and the error usually reads something like:

05/01/2013 23:45:03 - Reason: SomeShow Season 1 Complete 720p file (C:/Users/Griev3r/Documents/Downloads/SomeShow Season 1 Complete 720p\Episode.S01E12.720p.HDTV.x264.mkv) error: Used to indicate that an operation cannot continue without blocking for I/O
05/01/2013 23:45:03 - An I/O error occured, 'SomeShow Season 1 Complete 720p' paused.

Any help? This is quite frustrating. I'm on Windows 7, qBittorent version 3.0.6. Some recommend starting the program from the start menu to avoid using an old shortcut, didn't help.
Last edited by Griev3r on Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
loki

Post by loki »

Too long file path, try putting your downloads in the root of a drive?
You should probably use a secondary harddrive too, if you have one, not one windows is installed on.
Last edited by loki on Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Griev3r

Post by Griev3r »

My secondary drive is pretty small and mostly has drivers, and I read while researching the problem that shortening the file path doesn't really help. But I'll give it a shot? What bothers me is the randomness of the error. Torrents are going full speed now, aaaaaaaaaaaaand there we go, I/O error. About a dozen times then pause again.
venzel

Post by venzel »

i was getting an I/O error every single time with a couple specific torrents. It was downloading for a while and i think when it was about to reach 0.1% i got the error 50++ times (it spammed the execution log). I tried to dl them with deluge and they were downloaded no problem.. wish i could help pinpoint what the problem is but the execution log only says
06/01/2013 12:24:29 - An I/O error occured, 'TheTorrent' paused.
06/01/2013 12:24:29 - Reason: TheTorrent file (C:/torr/TheTorrent\TheFile) error: The system cannot find the path specified

Note: now that i pasted it here i see this --> (C:/torr/TheTorrent\TheFile) <-- has a backslash on the last folder, is that normal? in the execution log i could see it as a "|"

and sorry if this is unrelated to the OP's problem ;P
Griev3r

Post by Griev3r »

So I changed the path to shorten it, copied the Downloads folder to C: and changed it in the program options, except it still decides to download things to My Documents/Downloads and just starts everything from the beginning.

Might as well download utorrent 2.2 as I'm simply wasting time now. Thanks for trying to help guys.

Edit: Also I managed to fix the issue by manually right clicking the torrents and setting their locations, but this is a pretty broken design if the program can't even follow something as simple as setting a download folder <.<

Edit 2: Shortening the path does NOT solve the problem.
Last edited by Griev3r on Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rpb3000

Post by rpb3000 »

I'm getting the same problem - numerous torrents seemingly at random just pause. Force recheck doesn't help. Restarting doesn't help. Those torrents seem to just be "bad" to qBittorrent, even tho they're fine to every other torrent client. Same error message: "Used to indicate that an operation cannot continue without blocking for I/O".  No clue what it means, but it's a very major glaring flaw in this program as compared to uTorrent. Except everything else about this program is infinitely better than uTorrent these days. Any thoughts? Win 7 64-bit here. Digging on the internet only brings up help for old versions that have apparently been "fixed"...

Thanks.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

Actually it was supposed to be fixed in libtorrent. But it wasn't. Libtorrent's author has commited another fix that hopefully fixes the bug once and for all. Here is the bug report: https://code.google.com/p/libtorrent/is ... &start=400
wobohohoho

Post by wobohohoho »

[quote="venzel"]
I tried to dl them with deluge and they were downloaded no problem.. wish i could help pinpoint what the problem is but the execution log only says
06/01/2013 12:24:29 - An I/O error occured, 'TheTorrent' paused.
06/01/2013 12:24:29 - Reason: TheTorrent file (C:/torr/TheTorrent\TheFile) error: The system cannot find the path specified

and sorry if this is unrelated to the OP's problem ;P
[/quote]

I've been getting it on a few large torrents now too. Retried one 8GiB download, still the same problem. Then tried it with uTorrent, no problem there.
Probably will go to Deluge again till q gets fixed.