Connection when started?

Windows specific questions, problems.
Tomaso

Re: Connection when started?

Post by Tomaso »

[quote="sledgehammer_999"]
I did a clean install. I opened qbt for the first time and it sure creates a lot of connections to my router I assume(inner network, whatever you call it). After disabling utp,pex,local peer discovery,dht,upnp  and "check for program updates" the only thing popping up in my firewall is "listening on port 6881" which is the default port for bittorrent.
[/quote]

I tried disabling all that stuff earlier, but it didn't solve it for me..
I still get that huge number of connections.

(WinXP32/SP3)
unfaithful

Post by unfaithful »

Also zayo.com resolves to 64.13.226.148
And 64.125.70.25 -> https://ipdb.at/ip/64.125.70.25

Probably a DHT node that tries to connect to you.
[/quote]
Thanks. I do not understand what a dht node is or why it would want to connect to me
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

DHT-> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distributed_hash_table

In very simple words: Each client acts as a tracker too in the dht network. This allows you to download torrent even when the original tracker is down or there isn't any tracker specified.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

[quote="Tomaso"]
I did a clean install. I opened qbt for the first time and it sure creates a lot of connections to my router I assume(inner network, whatever you call it). After disabling utp,pex,local peer discovery,dht,upnp  and "check for program updates" the only thing popping up in my firewall is "listening on port 6881" which is the default port for bittorrent.
[/quote]

I tried disabling all that stuff earlier, but it didn't solve it for me..
I still get that huge number of connections.

(WinXP32/SP3)
[/quote]

Have you queued items in qbt? Even in paused mode?
Tomaso

Post by Tomaso »

[/quote]

No. As I pointed out; this happens after a clean install.
I've actually performed several clean installs now, trying to get to the bottom of this.
unfaithful

Post by unfaithful »

DHT-> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distributed_hash_table

In very simple words: Each client acts as a tracker too in the dht network. This allows you to download torrent even when the original tracker is down or there isn't any tracker specified.
[/quote]Ok but I do not understand why SAVVIS Communications Corporation,as one ip resolved to would have a tracker to a torrent?
unfaithful

Post by unfaithful »

[quote="Tomaso"]
[/quote]

No. As I pointed out; this happens after a clean install.
I've actually performed several clean installs now, trying to get to the bottom of this.
[/quote]Dod you get sorted? Why not do a clean install and set firewall to ask on all connections and then block them - when not torrenting I mean
Tomaso

Post by Tomaso »

[quote="unfaithful"]
Why not do a clean install and set firewall to ask on all connections and then block them[/quote]

I don't like to run my firewall in paranoid mode..
Too much hassle.

I've done a few more clean installs and configured qBittorrent in lots of different ways, but the problem remains.
All I can think of is that this is a bug, maybe OS specific for WinXP, and that DHT can't be disabled.
..There's a couple of fixes in libtorrent SVN that makes me think that this could be the case:
[quote="libtorrent SVN"]
* improve support for windows XP and earlier
* fix traversal algorithm leak in DHT
[/quote]
Last edited by Tomaso on Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dayman

Post by Dayman »

First of all this experiment is not 'pure' unless this is your first attempt to start ANY bittorrent client on this PC in the last 2-3 days.
If you've started any bittorent client with DHT enabled, you're already known to bootstrap DHT nodes, so people will try to connect to you anyway and your client will have to respond (that it has no torrents matching requested hashes).

The only thing we connect to explicitly (if DHT is enabled) except update catalog on sourceforge are the bootstrap DHT nodes:

Code: Select all

router.bittorrent.com
router.utorrent.com
dht.transmissionbt.com
dht.aelitis.com
Everything else is up to protocol specs.
Tomaso

Post by Tomaso »

[quote="Dayman"]
If you've started any bittorent client with DHT enabled, you're already known to bootstrap DHT nodes, so people will try to connect to you anyway and your client will have to respond (that it has no torrents matching requested hashes).
[/quote]

Confirmed!

Here's what I did:
1) Uninstalled qBittorrent and removed all configuration files.
2) Deleted the rules for qBittorent in my firewall.
3) Renewed my IP.
4) Reinstalled qBittorrent.
5) Launched qBittorrent and blocked it with my firewall when it asked for internet access.
6) Disabled DHT and automatic update checking.
7) Restarted qBittorrent with full internet access through my firewall.

..After doing this, qbittorrent.exe didn't connect to a single IP address.

Thanks a lot for clearifying this, Dayman!
Last edited by Tomaso on Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tomaso

Post by Tomaso »

Now, with newer versions of qBittorrent, I'm not able to prevent it from connecting to the internet at startup anymore.
Even after following the steps that I described in my previous post, and disabling UPnP / NAT-PMP port forwarding, qBittorrent still tries to connect to this Cloudflare address:
https://who.is/whois-ip/ip-address/104.16.38.47/

What's the reason for this?