Connection when started?

Windows specific questions, problems.
unfaithful

Connection when started?

Post by unfaithful »

Why does qBitorrent try to connect to net or receive a connection when it is started? Even when check for updates is unticked?
Last edited by unfaithful on Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
loki

Re: Connection when started?

Post by loki »

What address/IP/port is it attempting? Could this be part of DHT, or is that also disabled?
What version of qB is this referring to?
unfaithful

Post by unfaithful »

Thanks for reply[quote="loki"]
What address/IP/port is it attempting? Could this be part of DHT, or is that also disabled?
What version of qB is this referring to?
[/quote]Version 3.0.8
DHT is enabled.Port was 6881 i think. cannot recall ip but tried to connect and receive even when i had installed and just opened to look. Was not doing a torrent
unfaithful

Post by unfaithful »

Checked firewall. It tried  to connect out to 216.34.180.60  TCP port 80. IP resolves to http://www.thepalladiumgroup.com/ who are they

111.243.33.14 [ CHTD]? and 64.125.70.25[http://www.zayo.com/abovenet]? tried to connect in to my PC. UDP port 6881
What is this about?

How do I know it will not connect to them when torrenting?
Last edited by unfaithful on Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
loki

Post by loki »

6881's are most likely DHT not sure about the port 80, this is supposed to be reserved for http.
unfaithful

Post by unfaithful »

[quote="loki"]
6881's are most likely DHT not sure about the port 80, this is supposed to be reserved for http.
[/quote]so is the program safe?

Edit:- As no one seems to know I am getting rid qB
Last edited by unfaithful on Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

Have tried disabling DHT and see if tries to connect again to the same IP?
unfaithful

Post by unfaithful »

[quote="sledgehammer_999"]
Have tried disabling DHT and see if tries to connect again to the same IP?
[/quote]yes and not so far. surely the developers know why it tries to connect to these sites
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Searching the source of qbt and libtorrent for either the ip or the hostname you mentioned nothing found.

Question:
Did you use qbt earlier before noticing that? Did you add a torrent/magnet link even for a split second? Or is it your first install ever?
Tomaso

Post by Tomaso »

Indeed, it would be nice if someone could explain this.
What unfaithful describes here is actually nothing compared to what I'm experiencing..
At first launch (after a clean install) qBittorrent connects to the internet, even though it's got no torrents what-so-ever in the transfer window..
I've always assumed that this happens because it just needs to establish itself with the proper connection rights on my system.
..But after a closer inspection, according to my firewall, qBittorrent connects to a whole bunch of different IP's.
It doesn't even matter if I turn off DHT, update checking or anything else from whitin the program..
Shortly, there's well above 100 connections, and the number seems to increase by the minute!

Here's a screenshot from my firewall (notice the size of the scroll bar):

Last edited by Tomaso on Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
unfaithful

Post by unfaithful »

Searching the source of qbt and libtorrent for either the ip or the hostname you mentioned nothing found.

Question:
Did you use qbt earlier before noticing that? Did you add a torrent/magnet link even for a split second? Or is it your first install ever?
[/quote]yes first install ever, No i did not add anything. it was the very first time i opened it after install to look at it, just to see what the gui was like and before even looking for any torrent. Immediately I got firewall alerts and blocked the connection attempts

Could someone double check my whois on the ip's.? i am not very experienced with that
Last edited by unfaithful on Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

I did a clean install. I opened qbt for the first time and it sure creates a lot of connections to my router I assume(inner network, whatever you call it). After disabling utp,pex,local peer discovery,dht,upnp  and "check for program updates" the only thing popping up in my firewall is "listening on port 6881" which is the default port for bittorrent.
unfaithful

Post by unfaithful »

I did a clean install. I opened qbt for the first time and it sure creates a lot of connections to my router I assume(inner network, whatever you call it). After disabling utp,pex,local peer discovery,dht,upnp  and "check for program updates" the only thing popping up in my firewall is "listening on port 6881" which is the default port for bittorrent.
[/quote]OK the ips i gave are not inner network though
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

[quote="unfaithful"]

Question:
[/quote]yes first install ever, No i did not add anything. it was the very first time i opened it after install to look at it, just to see what the gui was like and before even looking for any torrent. Immediately I got firewall alerts and blocked the connection attempts

Could someone double check my whois on the ip's.? i am not very experienced with that
[/quote]

http://www.thepalladiumgroup.com/ has this ip 64.47.127.30
216.34.180.60 belong to "SAVVIS Communications Corporation" according to this
I suspect that this ip is a DHT node, so when qbt was starting DHT it tried to connect to this node too.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Also zayo.com resolves to 64.13.226.148
And 64.125.70.25 -> https://ipdb.at/ip/64.125.70.25

Probably a DHT node that tries to connect to you.