qBT not respecting MAX GLOBAL CONNECTIONS setting

Windows specific questions, problems.
neatchee

qBT not respecting MAX GLOBAL CONNECTIONS setting

Post by neatchee »

Greetings!

Version info: 3.0.8 (currently on the Dayman's x64 build, but tested on x32 as well)

I've spent the past week or so fiddling about with QoS on my router (OpenWRT - Gargoyle frontend), and in the process became aware that qBittorrent is not respecting the "Max Global Connections" value.  Currently, I have it set to 500 max global, 100 per-torrent, yet OpenWRT is showing that my connections are being completely maxed out whenever qBT is running.  I've even gone so far as to raise the router's connection limit from the default 4096 (up to 7144), and the connection count immediately climbs up to the max.  I've also decreased TCP and UDP timeouts in the hopes that these were just stale connections that weren't being dropped, but no dice.

Let me know if there's any additional information I can provide, or debugging steps, and I'll happily do anything I can.

P.S. I've not yet tried the 3.1.0alpha builds, but am hesitant to try them at the moment as reading threads on the forums leads me to believe there are some significant bugs that need working out.
loki

Re: qBT not respecting MAX GLOBAL CONNECTIONS setting

Post by loki »

I would think maybe this should be addressed to libtorrent... qB doesn't do anything that wouldn't make difference to underlying system.

If you could, if you still have lying around, check the same settings using utorrent with qB closed of course. That's just my suggestion on troubleshooting anyway. Does utorrent behave the same?

My router (with dd-wrt) has between 800-900 active connections with settings 500 and 100. I am also at the same time running 2 browsers, IRC, and various other (network using) programs running and 2 wifi computers connected to same router. And qB using 3.0.8 x64 daymans' w/Windows 7 x64.
Last edited by loki on Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
neatchee

Post by neatchee »

Thanks for the info, Loki.  I will definitely address this with the libtorrent folks (as Dayman recommended in IRC as well).

Does it seem reasonable to assume that this maybe Windows 8 related? I'm not familiar with the inner workings of libtorrent, but considering we are running nearly identical setups except for Windows version, it seems plausible.

I will give uTorrent a try later tonight and edit this post with results.

EDIT: Just installed the x64 3.1.0alpha build Dayman posted last night and the issue seems to have been resolved.  Individual torrents are now stopping at the prescribed 100 connections (haven't hit the 500 connection max quite yet, but assuming that's working as well) and my router is showing a steady maximum of just under 1500 connections.  I'm going to consider this resolved for the time being, until I have reason to believe otherwise.
Last edited by neatchee on Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
xavio

Post by xavio »

same problem on Ubuntu.
I tested qbittorrent 3.0.5 (from ubuntu repo) and version 3.0.8 (from our ppa).

Thanks
Last edited by xavio on Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
xavio

Post by xavio »

Yeah, it seem to disable DHT resolve the problem.