Multiple Instances (3 clients, one machine)

Windows specific questions, problems.
mrsmegz

Multiple Instances (3 clients, one machine)

Post by mrsmegz »

I have searched around for ways to do this but all I can find when searching "multiple instances" is the bug that was present that started up multiple clients when clicking a .torrent file.  I however am trying to run three independent clients, to watch 3 different Dropbox folders and put the downloads onto a separate drives.

Any help would be appreciated!
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Multiple Instances (3 clients, one machine)

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

And why can't you achieve this with one instance?
mrsmegz

Post by mrsmegz »

[quote="sledgehammer_999"]
[/quote]

Well basically to keep things organized a certain way with different Trackers, I want qBt to watch 3 Dropbox folders, lets just call them Audio, Movies, and TV.  So when I dump a Torrent into 'TV' it goes to my T: (TV drive), or Movies to my M: (Movie drive) etc.  This is just a way to spread the downloads to different drives, but mainly so Plex doesn't get TV and Movies mixed up with its scraper like it often does when they are all in one folder.  Maybe you have a better solution built in to qBt, but I dont know of one.
Dayman

Post by Dayman »

[/quote]

I guess the point is that you can't download to different locations when adding torrents from watchfolders ('download to watchfolder' doesn't count).
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

[quote="Dayman"]
[/quote]

I guess the point is that you can't download to different locations when adding torrents from watchfolders ('download to watchfolder' doesn't count).
[/quote]

Hmm, even though I never used it, it always confused me that setting in qbt. It creates the impression that you will be able to define a separate download location but it does not. I propose to extend its functionality to this. What do you think?
Dayman

Post by Dayman »

If Chris is ok with it. Depending on implementation approach this can break WebUI 'download to watchfolder' config.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Without having looked at the code, I was thinking: instead of the checkbox in "download here" we could enable the choice of an arbitrary path(text string)...
Dayman

Post by Dayman »

Without having looked at the code, I was thinking: instead of the checkbox in "download here" we could enable the choice of an arbitrary path(text string)...
[/quote]

Yeah. This would be good.
But a backwards compatibility layer has to be implemented too. It should enable transparency for WebUI (I don't think anybody is working on it anymore, it's pretty outdated) and allow old config with bool values to be converted.
Onemoar

Post by Onemoar »

multipl watch folders and save folders based on file-type is a good idea
mrsmegz

Post by mrsmegz »

I am really shocked the kind of attention my question got, and I don't know of any other client that does this w/o having to run multiple instances of the application.  This would be a great feature if its feasible to add, but if not, a way to run the exe multiple times would also work, or would that cause additional problems with windows.
djal

Post by djal »

Maybe a better solution is implement the following options using the current labels like this: "Save files at" or "Automatic label association with files using the following file extension". For example:
Label: MUSIC ---> Save as: C:/My_Music; Associated to: *.mp3, *.flac
Last edited by djal on Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
mrsmegz

Post by mrsmegz »

[quote="djal"]
Maybe a better solution is implement the following options using the current labels like this: "Save files at" or "Automatic label association with files using the following file extension". For example:
Label: MUSIC ---> Save as: C:/My_Music; Associated to: *.mp3, *.flac
[/quote]

How do I set the option for a label? I dont see it in Options anywhere.