My Program shuts down after each download is completed.

Windows specific questions, problems.
gpc111

My Program shuts down after each download is completed.

Post by gpc111 »

Ever since I updated to version 3.0.9 the program stops after each torrent completes. The remaining torrents are in a "stalled" status and will not download. I have to exit the program, bring up task manager and kill off the Qbittorrent process, and then restart the program. It then works fine until the next torrent completes and I have to repeat the above process. I have not made any changes to the default settings in the options so I am not sure why it is acting like this. How can I restore the program to complete a torrent and continues with the rest of my downloads? BTW, I am XP SP2 still. Thank you
Johnsau

Re: My Program shuts down after each download is completed.

Post by Johnsau »

I have the same problem. I have to restart the program after every download is completed, and I check with task manger , which show the qbittorrent not completely shutdown when I closed the program, it took 3 to 5 minutes completely shutdown, during this period if you start your qbittorrent , you will have I/O error, since the the last qbittorrent still running in the background, and I can't kill the qbittorrent process until 3 to 5 mins later. I think this version really have problem, I might going back to 3.08.
100%

Post by 100% »

@Johnsau

What's your OS? I'm on Win 7 x64 and I don't have that problem...
gpc111

Post by gpc111 »

I see I am not the only one with this problem. I too am considering going back to 3.0.8 or a different torrent program. That would be a shame as I really like this one but it is too annoying having to exit the program and use task manager to kill the program after each download. I hope this issue can be addressed.
gpc111

Post by gpc111 »

I have just went back to 3.0.8. I have tested it and everything is back to normal and working great. It is easy to do. just visit this link...

http://sourceforge.net/projects/qbittor ... ent-win32/.

Download 3.0.8. The installation will be the same as an upgrade. You will be prompted to uninstall the current version and in this case, install the old version. You will be back to a working 3.0.8.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

Hmm.. Im not sure whats going wrong there to be honest. Be careful though with 3.0.8. There was a bug with big files causing I/O errors or corruption which was fixed with 3.0.9 release. Not with all big torrents its very random. See here for more information about this: http://qbforums.shiki.hu/index.php?topic=1729.0.
Tomaso

Post by Tomaso »

From reading this thread, it looks like my fear might have come true:
http://qbforums.shiki.hu/index.php?topi ... 80#msg5880
kcaldwel

Post by kcaldwel »

I have the problem too with 3.0.9 on XP SP3. 3.0.8 works fine.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

@ all having this problem
I am currently rebuilding 3.0.9 with libtorrent 0.16.8 (used in qbt 3.0.8 ). I will make a new topic in this forum and post the installer in a few minutes(maybe an hour).
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

It seems that now I hit the same bug too. After a while a perfectly working torrent will go to the "stalled" status. Newly added torrents will not work even though the swarm is huge. The same happens for the "Stalled" torrent, even though there are more than enough peers available for some reason it doesn't connect. If you close the program, the window is destroyed but the process remains in the task manager, and you have to kill it resulting in a recheck the next time the app is launced. More over, when qbt is in this state if I delete a torrent and tell it to delete the files from the disk too, the files never get deleted even though the torrent is removed. My hunch is that somehow libtorrent enters a dirty state that the program needs to take some specific action to return libtorrent in a working state but the current code either fails to do so or ignores the error completely.

I did not do any update to my system nor did I poke around with my qbt installation. I think that this bug manifests itself depending on the moon phase and the position of the stars[/sarcasm]. I am afraid to try different qbt versions, in case I cannot trigger this bug again :S

Also I don't have any idea how I should debug this...
tekko

Post by tekko »

I am not seeing it in the newest alpha(x86) yet... maybe it has to do with the extra updates that 3.0.9 contains.
Last edited by tekko on Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Oh yeah I forgot. I am using 3.0.9 official.
QBitt

Post by QBitt »

Same behavior here Win 8 64bit running 3.0.9 32bit.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

I have made some progress.
For the shutdown hang: The destructor of the libtorrent::session() class blocks for some reason. Probably a deadlock. I cannot understand the libtorrent code, but I think it waits for some background thread to finish(maybe disk thread or network thread).
1. I noticed that the save_resume_data doesn't return an alert with the fastresume data, probably indicating that the responsible thread is busy(deadlocked?) doing something else. This means that progress would be lost, even if the libtorrent::session()'s destrcuctor returned. This probably explains some bug reports that "qbt forgets the progress during exit/shutdown", since qbt wouldn't actually save the progress.
2. For the stalling issue: Probably the same thread(and problem) is responsible as in above. I also observed a lot of udp_error_alert with the message "UDP error: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it from: x.x.x.x ". This error is observed in 0.16.8 but it happens a lot less. Probably explains other bug reports of "stalled torrents". Maybe some system limit is hit with that many errors(too many ports/connections opened?)
3. This happens even with git master + libtorrent 0.16.9 on my machine. But libtorrent 0.16.8 doesn't exhibit this problem. Next step is to test with RC_0_16 branch and svn trunk of libtorrent

I will do a bug report in libtorrent after number 3 testing.