Qt 5.0.2 for qbittorent

Post by bobinmk »

Recently found Qt 5.0.2 update + libtorrent 0.16.10.0 for qbittorent
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Qt 5.0.2 for qbittorent

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

The next release will use libtorrent 0.16.10.

Qt 5.0.x is a major upgrade from 4.8.x and currently not supported by the code. I don't think there is something in 5.0.x that will benefit us greatly at the moment. It doesn't offer much improvements for our use case and platforms(I could be wrong though).
Dayman

Post by Dayman »

[quote="sledgehammer_999"]
The next release will use libtorrent 0.16.10.

Qt 5.0.x is a major upgrade from 4.8.x and currently not supported by the code. I don't think there is something in 5.0.x that will benefit us greatly at the moment. It doesn't offer much improvements for our use case and platforms(I could be wrong though).
[/quote]
Indeed. It doesn't. Porting will require WebUI C++ code rewrite to say the least. Qt5 is not supported by most linux projects (maybe KDE master branch has support) either, so it's usefulness doesn't stretch beyond windows.
bobinmk

Post by bobinmk »

@ sledgehammer it claims qt 5.0.2 has more than 600 updates and features than its prior 5.0.1 version.  (source : http://freecode.com/projects/qt)
Also my question to @ sledgehammer  Is it possible to write on other language other than Qt ( .net 4.5 / java/ c++) to make it robust build . Any  Idea..
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Qt isn't a programming language. qBittorrent is written in C++.

>qt 5.0.2 has more than 600 updates and features than its prior 5.0.1 version
This doesn't mean that Qt 4.8.x is rubbish. For our purposes it is perfect. It isn't broken and works wonderfully.
loki

Post by loki »

Also, those 600 improvements doesn't mean a program would benefit from all or even any of those improvements, in general it probably means Qt itself is capable of more. And a program, unless specifically written for the new version, wouldn't use these features anyway.
Gúgolplex

Post by Gúgolplex »

Well, next year KDE and many software will be updated to Qt 5, QBittorrent can do it :)

It is best to use the latest technologies :)
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

There is already a pull request for Qt5 which looks pretty clean. I just have to review it and merge it. But it is a little big so it takes time.
Calidude

Post by Calidude »

There is already a pull request for Qt5 which looks pretty clean. I just have to review it and merge it. But it is a little big so it takes time.
[/quote]
Thanks! Would be interesting to see if that update will make it easier to make qBittorrent's UI better looking.
Onemoar

Post by Onemoar »

[/quote]
NOooooooooooooooo
Don't do that
loki

Post by loki »

It's inevitable at some point, or risk being left behind, which some linux distros seem to have already.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

[quote="Onemoar"]
[/quote]
NOooooooooooooooo
Don't do that
[/quote]

Why not? Most of the changes just make the qt4 codebase better. And the extra qt5 code seems pretty clean and manageable. For future reference: https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorrent/pull/901
Dayman

Post by Dayman »

By the way. Has anybody managed to build QtWebkit bundled with Qt5?

Disregard this. Just needed to add gnuwin32\bin to %PATH% before using configure. Was trying to build webkit manually before I figured this out.
Last edited by Dayman on Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.