qBT 3.0.10 Set Location... bug

Windows specific questions, problems.
Switeck

qBT 3.0.10 Set Location... bug

Post by Switeck »

Set Location...
...Attempts to do a COPY of the data if data is found at current location and the destination location is a different drive.

This can be very messy if the torrent is very large (like >100 GB) and the drive/s to store the torrent on are slow.
qBT appears to freeze up while it is copying the data from the old location to the new location.
If you exit qBT while this is going on, qBT gets stuck in memory.
Attempts to relaunch qBT fails, presumably until the move task is completed.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Re: qBT 3.0.10 Set Location... bug

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

Well, there is nothing you can do about the COPY. Even if it did a MOVE to a different drive this could result in corrupting the files if the app/computer was stopped uncleanly. This is a safety measure. Also a MOVE to a different drive will COPY the data anyway. Only moves in the same drive are instant.

>qBT appears to freeze up while it is copying the data from the old location to the new location.

I haven't observed this. But I never moved BIG torrents. I could take a look into that in the future. Please open a new bug and describe and detail, so we track this.

>If you exit qBT while this is going on, qBT gets stuck in memory.

This is an issue that I have discussed with the libtorrent author(libtorrent handles the data move internally), but I haven't got an answer from him.
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

My confusion along with no doubt other users is that the "Set Location..." moves or copies data in the first place.

If a window popped up saying:
"Data detected at current location, do you wish to move this data to the new location? Y/N"
...This "bug" wouldn't be much of an issue.

Or if "Set Location..." were renamed to "Move Data...".
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

When the new location is in the same drive a MOVE is done.
If the new location is at a different drive a COPY is done and then a DELETE on the old location.

I don't see the problem.
Onemoar

Post by Onemoar »

QBT should't be doing a MOVE period its dangerous to CUT and PASTE when the filehandles are still open 

*and if you are having freezing problems when moving or copying large files then you need a faster hard drive or you need to clean your system up this is a issue with the way windows does paging
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

The move isn't handled by qbt. It is handled by libtorrent which owns AND manages the file handles.