Frustrated - slow download

Windows specific questions, problems.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Frustrated - slow download

Post by Nemo »

Did you try v3.1.2 jeps? With me the problems seems gone after upgrading, for now atleast. I hope it stays this way :).
Last edited by Nemo on Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jeps
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jeps »

In the build you have mentioned/released earlier in this thread: http://qbforums.shiki.hu/index.php/topic,2236.msg8441.html#msg8441
jeps
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jeps »

[quote="Nemo"]
Did you try v3.1.2 jeps? With me the problems seems gone after upgrading, for now atleast. I hope it stays this way :).
[/quote]
It is my theory that the µTP bandwidth management during the download (erroneously) decides that my download bandwidth is saturated and begins to administer some kind of dynamical bandwidth limits.
It is difficult to test/verify because I have no way of knowing what causes the latency, all I know is that my bandwidth is not saturated.

I mentioned earlier please make bandwidth management optional.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

Hmmm, I have another idea. When I am not busy, I'll get back to you.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

I thought it was gone but I saw the limiting procedure again after few hours. I've tested it without uTp after reading jeps message. Disabling uTp actually improves speed dramatically for both download and upload. Enabling it and restarting qBittorrent brings back the limited issue while downloading (and probably uploading). The theory from jeps might be right. The weird thing is that this has never before happened with version 3.0.11 and below, atleast with me. Now I can run 2-3 torrents downloading without any slowdowns or limitations concerning speed. So im running v3.1.2 without uTp and will report back again. Could be uTp that is causing all this in the newer releases.
Last edited by Nemo on Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

"bandwidth management utp" is just a fancy name for utp. The utp protocol has a mechanism builtin to auto "back off" when other services/programs try to use the internet.

Anyway here is another special build that reverts a utp related commit I did between 3.0.11 and 3.1.0 which hopefully is the culprit. Please try it and report back.
http://builds.shiki.hu/temp/qbittorrent ... _setup.exe
jeps
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jeps »

Thanks for your effort, will try it when I get it downloaded (40minutes+).

The reason for me accusing µTP for the error is several descriptions of the bandwidth management behaviour of the protocol.

Wikipedia writes:
"µTP congestion control

The congestion control algorithm used by µTP, known as Low Extra Delay Background Transport (LEDBAT), aims to decrease the latency caused by applications using the protocol while maximizing bandwidth when latency is not excessive.
Additionally, information from the µTP congestion controller can be used to choose the transfer rate of TCP connections.

LEDBAT has been described in an Internet-Draft, but the details of the µTP implementation are different from those of the draft"

On this link http://www.bittorrent.org/beps/bep_0029.html the bandwidth management (congestion control) is described.

But I don't know if the full functionality is included in qBittorrent.

Edit.
How about making a Torrent of each file download, I am sure that people are willing to share some of their bandwidth to help the program.
I am and and I have plenty af bandwidth to share.
Last edited by jeps on Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

Im testing that build too right away, thanks alot sledge. Hopefully we can get this thing sorted out very soon.

Edit: lol.. 1hour+ to download the exe file. We can make a torrent file indeed next time perhaps. I can make one within few minutes if anyone needs, just say.
Last edited by Nemo on Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Djc

Post by Djc »

[quote="Nemo"]
Im testing that build too right away, thanks alot sledge. Hopefully we can get this thing sorted out very soon.

Edit: lol.. 1hour+ to download the exe file. We can make a torrent file indeed next time perhaps. I can make one within few minutes if anyone needs, just say.
[/quote]

The 3.2 alpha test build is IMPOSSIBLE to download. IMPOSSIBLE.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

Download with the attachment. Note that im seeding other torrents too so don't expect max speed. Also I might be offline now and then this weekend so seed too if possible. Atleast its faster than the mirror.
Attachments
qBittorrent 3.2.0Alpha+patch.torrent
(6.48 KiB) Downloaded 174 times
Last edited by Nemo on Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

I am seeding too. (unfortunately I don't control the website speed. The space is provided by shiki. Probably the host is rate limiting it.)
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

uTp seems working fine with this alpha. Peers connected with uTp are uploading to me with high rates like it should be. I will run it the whole night and see tomorrow how uploading (seeding) goes over uTp.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

So does it max out your line as you would expect?
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

Yes, I will try few more torrents till I can be 100% sure tomorrow but what I have tried in the past hours it seemed all good. And testing upload this night while seeding. Lets wait what jeps have to say too :).
jeps
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jeps »

Hi all.

The Alpha seems to work as expected.
I haven't seen any strange bandwidth limiting.
I have downloaded a couple of torrents from private trackers and it have used all my allocated Bandwidth.

It looks like the problem has been solved!