Frustrated - slow download

Windows specific questions, problems.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Frustrated - slow download

Post by Nemo »

Great jeps, then I can confirm also that it is fixed. Seen no limiting of any kind and seeding went very good this night. Im popping up qBittorrent now and then automaticly to see how it goes with the speeds lol :D.

Thanks for your effort sledge.
Last edited by Nemo on Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
jeps
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jeps »

But...

The functionality is (mybe) flawless, but I still get much higher downloads by disabling µTP.
My guess would be, that the µTP protocol code (in the present version) is using too much CPU/router power.
My qTorrent is running on a dedicated Windows 2008 R2 server 6 x 3.8 GHz with 16 GB RAM, so that must surely be enough!
My router is a Cisco ASA 5505, which easily can handle the throughput.

Anyway, I think the alpha has cleared the problem, but I have disabled µTP protocol (for now).
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

Your specs are well enough to handle qBittorrent :P.

What I personally think is that uTp still needs some little fine tuning in order to get the speed and hold it. There is sometimes unstable speeds over uTp like gaps between 300KB/s-600KB/s while normal connection stays stable around the same speed. This is maybe caused by the way that uTp works when there is internet usage. Also upload over uTp could be a bit faster compared to the old style connection without uTp.

What I also see sometimes is that qBittorrent is dropping the peer who is connected with uTp and re-connects again to the same peer with normal connection, mostly with higher down (and up) rate than over uTp. It seems that qBittorrent ''favors'' normal connections over uTp while uTorrent wants more uTp connections.

Overall this alpha works great for both uTp and normal connections compared to the previous builds. Im happy with it :).
jeps
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jeps »

I can 100% confirm your observations.

µTP seems a bit more unstable than regular TCP.
µTP should actually have (the potential for) more seeders/leechers since all new µTorrent versions prefer µTP and since µTP is harder to throttle for ISP's.
But in real life I get better speed (both up and down) and more stable connections by disabling µTP.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

I'll try tomorrow to forword your observations to the libtorrent author. Depending on his resolution I'll either include a new libtorrent with a fix in the next release or just enable the patch.

The recent patch did this: Libtorrent has a setting of how to handle tcp(normal connections) and utp(udp) connections. It has 2 modes a)don't prefer one over the other b) prefer tcp over utp. The patch enables the second mode.
UsL

Post by UsL »

I use vanilla 3.1.1.1 and uTP is setup like this: http://i.imgur.com/E0T8Nqg.png. My connection is 112 Mb/s down and 11.3 Mb/s up so I have some overhead marginal. It works flawlessly. Currently uploading at maximum speed with mixed uTP and TCP connections. uTP seems to always be favoured which makes sense since it is a better technique. Just wanted to add this info in here to maybe help contribute to knowledge base. Oh, and just to be ontopic: the download is also flawless. Getting speeds at ~ 11-12 MB/s mixed uTP and TCP.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

Hm interesting.. You have removed the ''apply rate limit to uTp connections'' also. Didn't tried that with those builds, might have fixed it right away.
jeps
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jeps »

This threads main issue was actually that µTP bandwidth management also managed the TCP bandwidth (in my opinion).

Your proposal is actually what I proposed early in this thread, let's get a "basic µTP" solution without all the bells and whistles.
And then let "Hole punching" and "µTP bandwidth management" be optional.
But I am afraid that this design decision has been made by libtorrent devs. a long time ago.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

[quote="jeps"]
This threads main issue was actually that µTP bandwidth management also managed the TCP bandwidth (in my opinion).
[/quote]

Exactly what I was thinking also.

I just have ran an another test, probably my last :P to get this investigated. I've loadad up a torrent few minutes ago with few peers (popular ones will always max your speed) and this is what I see:

I've inspected the same peer, same torrent, with different client.

uTorrent 2.2.1: uTp at high speed slows down a little but goes higher again. Doesn't stay at the same (low) speed.
qBittorrent v3.2.0+Patch: uTp at high speed slows down, sometimes goes even a bit lower and stays at that speed without any speed raise after that. It seems that it only slows down but doesn't go higher after that again. This effects other active downloads too sometimes somehow, I don't know why. What I do know is that there are other uTp connections active on the other torrents.

I can provide screenshots if needed to show this behaviour. Weird thing is that qBittorrent gets higher speed than uTorrent over uTp but it won't last long, qB = 227KB/s Vs uT = 149KB/s.

I get bettter speeds with uTp enabled. This difference is also a big gap: TCP 21KB/s Vs uTp 227KB/s, both with qBittorrent. I thought it shouldn't have to make such a difference but it actually does. Removing the ''apply rate limit for uTp'' has made no difference.

This alpha is working better than the other builds so I have replaced it as my ''stable'' but like I said earlier I think that uTp needs some fine tuning to maximize its overall usage and speeds.
Last edited by Nemo on Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

I reported it upstream. If I forgot something please comment here and I'll add it.

http://code.google.com/p/libtorrent/iss ... ail?id=546
jeps
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jeps »

"I don't care about total utp bandwidth vs total tcp bandwidth. Let them have as much bandwidth as each peer gives them BUT total utp + total tcp <= global rate limit"  :)

That's it!
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

[quote="jeps"]
"I don't care about total utp bandwidth vs total tcp bandwidth. Let them have as much bandwidth as each peer gives them BUT total utp + total tcp <= global rate limit"  :)

That's it!
[/quote]

+1  ;D!
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Hey!
I switched to Vuze recently, but somehow I'm not really happy. I don't really know why, but please find a solution to Qbittorrent's problems! I can't test anymore or I'll get a brain tumor for sure, but I hope somebody can confirm that qBt runs perfectly stable on a x64 Windows 8 with full download/upload speed soon :)
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

jeps and nemo, clarification: The last patched version, did it max out your lines like utorrent does?
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

[quote="sledgehammer_999"]
jeps and nemo, clarification: The last patched version, did it max out your lines like utorrent does?
[/quote]

I can say that it works better but not 100% fixed yet. I still think that uTp is not being used like it should to get the maximum out of it in terms of speed for both down and up. Im using it from the day it released and still running.

A few notes from my experience from the patched version compared to v3.1.2 to make it all clear within one post:

v3.1.2:
- I don't like it when uTp is slowing down my speed for no reason while im doing nothing. Really nothing, only staring at the screen with qBittorrent open so no internet usage outside qBittorrent. When I go to YouTube or if I have any internet activity then I get it but not when im doing nothing. If it works it works great but why slowing down and staying there.
- Not only that, it slows down other torrents too if there is any active. So every active torrent goes with very low download/upload speed. Jeps posts confirm this too.
- Restarting qBittorrent fixes it only temporarly, after few minutes (5-10+-) it goes back to the ''limiting'' procedure.

v3.2.0alpha+patched:
- Its definitly faster if you compare to the previous builds. Maxing my connection more often and seeding goes good too. Of course there is no rule that every torrent should max your line but with torrents that are maxing within other client I would expect the same with qBittorrent with the same peers.
- Downloading is alright most of the time but uploading is slower compared to TCP, would be great to see the same rates as TCP but I don't know that if this is possible. I can max my upload over TCP but not over uTp. When uTp goes slow qBittorrent drops the peer and re-connects over TCP to improve this, helps most of the time. If uTp is fast enough qBittorrent stays like that which is good but can be better.
- Also for me is uTp faster than TCP connection in downloading. uTp disabled makes a huge difference in speed (my test with a torrent with few peers, post above). One of the reasons also is that uTorrent prefers uTp so I want that advantage too.

Sorry for the long text but everything is in it :). It would be nice to have a short post from jeps too to confirm this or add anything useful if I forgot something.

Thanks sledge for your effort and reporting this to the libtorrent page. I think that you have said the right things already :).
Last edited by Nemo on Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.