Frustrated - slow download

Windows specific questions, problems.
TheBlackMonk

Re: Frustrated - slow download

Post by TheBlackMonk »

Thanks for getting this fixed, the alpha version is running like a champ.  I donated some money, see Chris for your cut.
jeps
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jeps »

Well, bottom line is actually the quote I made, I personally don't care if it is TCP or µTP.
µTP has some theoretical advantages but I think when it comes down to practical/daily use, it has (apparently) some disadvantages too.
The main reason for implementing µTP, I assume, is the fact that µTorrent is preferring that protocol and the fact that µTorrent is used by more than 80% of all users.

I agrees with 95% of what Nemo wrote!
The problem, as I see it, is the fact that we don't know if the guilty part is the libTorrent implementation, µTorrent implementation or the protocol by nature.
That is why I suggested to make a "basic µTP protocol" and leave bandwidth management etc. as optional.
The result should just follow 1 rule "total utp + total tcp <= global rate limit"

This discussion has been about maximizing speeds but you should also consider stability.
As Nemo mentions, it appears like µTP drops a lot more connections than TCP.
I am using the setting: "require encryption".
Last edited by jeps on Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Hey,
I don't even know why, but I actually tested both 3.1.2 and v.3.2.0alpha+patched. I can more or less confirm what Nemo said.
The current stable version 3.1.2. was more or less unusable on 2 public torrents with fairly large swarms, download speeds were awful. As soon as I put them both - again at 0% - in vuze, download speeds were 5x as high and soon upload began to max out too.
I don't have any conclusive results about the patched alpha yet, it seems to be somewhat better, gonna do a proper test later.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

I can confirm all your findings and fully agree with everything you wrote jeps :). Thanks for your report Pyro, its good to have others confirming this behaviour too. All we could do to help was to write it down with all the details and hopefully they will get to the bottom of this.

Edit:
This is what I want ;D! uTp and TCP both at great stable speeds :D! No drop downs, limitations or throttling of any kind. The step from v3.0.11 to v3.1.0 is an important point where these issues came from in my opinion. Also what I forgot to mention is that this happens with Dayman's builds too so its much or less related to libtorrent I think.

Image          Image

The second torrent on the second picture is limited by me at 900KB/s, uploading something over my network. If I set it to 0 it goes to my max within seconds.
Last edited by Nemo on Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

Ok, I have uploaded 2 new builds with the patch proposed from upstream.

The "no patch" version uses the same method as the vanilla 3.2.0 source to share bandwidth between peers. I think this is what you need to test first. I think that this is what the patch from libtorrent is trying to address.
The "patch" version uses the "prefer_tcp" mode, that you reported is working best. I don't think that the libtorrent author wanted us to test this, but I included a build because I wasn't sure.

I attach .torrent files that I seed, and have as web seeds the builds.shiki.hu urls
http://builds.shiki.hu/temp/qbittorrent ... _setup.exe
http://builds.shiki.hu/temp/qbittorrent ... _setup.exe
Attachments
qbittorrent_3.2.0alpha_161113+patch_setup.torrent
(6.57 KiB) Downloaded 175 times
qbittorrent_3.2.0alpha_161113+no_patch_setup.torrent
(6.58 KiB) Downloaded 139 times
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

Thanks sledge, testing and reporting when ready :). Im seeding them both too.

Edit: sledge, I tested them both quickly and my first impression is that the patch version works much better than the no patch version. As you can see on the screenshots there are 4 torrents active without any problems. uTp and TCP works great :)! It stayed at my max continously with no drops or slowdowns. I will run it tonight to see how the uploading/seeding goes and will come back to it tomorrow.

Here are the screenshots:
qbittorrent_3.2.0alpha_161113+patch_setup.exe
Image  Image
Last edited by Nemo on Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
jeps
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jeps »

Sorry, I haven't been active the last couple of days,
I went down with the flu.

I was actually about to drop my use of µTP all together, because I found it has too mane draw backs.

But the "qbittorrent_3.2.0alpha_161113 patch_setup.exe" actually works quite nice with µTP enabled.
I think the "prefer TCP" is like plying it safe and it still puzzles me, how the µTP protocol became a "MUST".
UsL

Post by UsL »

uTP is superior since it doesn't require the whole TCP connection hassle. Instead it is a stream of UDP packets. I don't know the stats but it lowers the connection/cpu load significantly on all involved parts: computer -> router -> ISP -> ISP -> router -> computer -> and so forth.
jeps
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jeps »

I know why µTP is theoretically a better/more efficient way of transporting data, I am only saying that in real life, there are a lot of other things to consider.
I find µTP to be much more sensitive to semi-bad connections.

And as I say again and again "give us a basic µTP protocol" and I am all in.
seffys

Post by seffys »

works much better for me...
download ~5MiB with out disk overload at all.

thx
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

[quote="seffys"]
works much better for me...
download ~5MiB with out disk overload at all.

thx
[/quote]

You mean with v3.1.3, newest stable release right?
seffys

Post by seffys »

[quote="Nemo"]
qBittorrent 3.1.1 with libtorrent 16.10 seems working much better than the ones build with 16.12 in terms of download/upload speeds, but need more people to confirm this. Lets wait what jeps (or others) have to say about it after testing that build. Mine is still running flawlessly (1 day and 3 hours straight).

Edit: I've transfered all my torrents now. Can download 2-3 torrents at the same time (I couldn't with 16.12) without any ''speed lag/drop downs/throttling''. No speeds issues or whatsoever. Still testing and awaiting others opinions/experience. qBittorrent 3.1.1 + libtorrent 16.10.
[/quote]

Hi, no, I talked about 3.1.1 with libtorrent 16.10.
with this version I got full bandwidth, ~9 MiB/s

with 3.1.3 I had 100% overload on my HDD, but maybe it was my HDD, I will check it later again.
3.1.3 should be better from 3.1.1?
jeps
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jeps »

In terms of pure upload/download speed, I think we have a good solution now.

But your observations regarding hard disk activity and data transfer "drop outs" is the same as mine.
I also agree that this issue has become worse during the latest libtorrent release(s).
I don't see anything in the changelog that would suggest that any work has been done in this area.
But never-the-less qTorrent exhibits bad performance in this area now (multi threading gone bad?)

I am not sure whether to open a new thread on continue in this one.
Or maybe the problem is my PC, who knows.
seffys

Post by seffys »

ok, 3.1.3 version with the custom settings for disk cache its much better from 3.1.1

thx
cavist

Post by cavist »

I am deeply frustrated. I have most recent version of qB and it still downloads in very slugish ways compared to uT.

I just spent 3 days without turning of my computer to download a 50GB package and qB downloaded only 6Gigs of it. Often getting Stalled status in torrent. Today I closed the qB and started to download same torrent file with uT, I already have like 30Gigs of 50 downloaded. There is 26 seeder, 39 peers.

And this slow downloads in qB keep bothering me for almost a 2 weeks now on various torrents. Same torrents work much better on uT.

I have a *lower* upload rate on uT than on qB, tried increasing default number of connection and nothing. qB is very slow or does not download torrents at all :-\