Frustrated - slow download

Windows specific questions, problems.
diadara

Frustrated - slow download

Post by diadara »

Hi,
I've been a uTorrent user since forever, but I got tired of commercials and the lousy support after my laptop got completely frakked up after an update. So, I found this client and thought I'd give it a try. I'm not sorry I did, except... I'm not getting the speed I used to, not even close. I'm on a 100/10 connection, and the downloads won't go over 2Mb/s, usually they get stuck at 6-700 KiB/s. There's nothing wrong with the torrents, as I'm downloading from a members only site where I always max out my speed.
Sorry if this has been adressed before, I did a search in the forum, but I couldn't find a problem similar to mine.

I've been tinkering with the settings but no matter what changes I do, the results are the same. I read somewhere that I should get a static IP? I'm hoping it doesn't have to come to that.
Though I've been using torrents for so long, I'm still a n00b because uTorrent did everything for me with the speed guide, so I'd appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks in advance, dia
Tomaso

Re: Frustrated - slow download

Post by Tomaso »

Actually, if you use a different torrent client than uTorrent or BitTorrent, you can't expect to get the same speeds quite as often.
This is supposedly because uTorrent/BitTorrent are downprioritizing (or "snubbing" if you like) other clients.

Of course, you could change back to uTorrent at any time, but before you do, you should be aware that there's a lot of controvercy surrounding their current ownership.
Reports indicate that they have close ties to MPAA and RIAA.

There's been a lot of discussions regarding these matters, but for some reason, over time, people just seems to forget.
..or they don't care, which is even worse.
It's like the reason why everyone is so eager to share all their personal information through social media like Facebook and Twitter:
If everyone's doing it, it's got to be safe, right?
Last edited by Tomaso on Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

Have you limited your upload speed? For 10mbps uplink you should limit it to ~1024KB/s. Also consider raising the disk cache. (maybe 500MB)
Also which version of Windows do you use?
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

sledge is it better to put a disk cache number (like other builds at 128MB) instead the default 0 (zero, automatic) setting? Could it be possible that the speed problems happen cause of this setting maybe? If I remember right the default was at 128MB with 3.0.11.
Last edited by Nemo on Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

I just noticed really bad uploading capabilities of Qbittorrent. Downloads work quite well for me. I am still testing and comparing to other clients, but it's fairly obvious and I've noticed it before actually, when I first came to qbittorrent at version 3.0.8 or something. Really weird.
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

[quote="Tomaso"]Actually, if you use a different torrent client than uTorrent or BitTorrent, you can't expect to get the same speeds quite as often.
This is supposedly because uTorrent/BitTorrent are downprioritizing (or "snubbing" if you like) other clients.[/quote]Snubbing has an explicit meaning in the BitTorrent protocol, and uTorrent/BitTorrent does it heavily. If a peer refuses to download or upload a 16 KB chunk in >30 seconds after it's offered, the peer is snubbed. After that, uploads to the snubbed peer will only happen as a result of optimistic unchokes...which if there's 40+ other peers means nearly never. A peer can become unsnubbed if it uploads consistently to your client in a 1 minute period...only takes about 1-4 chunks (of 16 KB size) to do it.

Setting your upload speed max to 1 KB/sec can basically guarantee you'll get snubbed. Likewise, having too many upload slots can.
The initial poster (diadara) didn't do that, so presumably something else is to blame.

qBitTorrent doesn't use very many upload slots by default and many peers refuse to download faster than 10-50 KB/sec for whatever reason...so together they can result in a lower-than-expected total upload speed.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Well, for testing purposes I can assign like infinite number of slots, so EVERY peer should get some upload I hope. But 32 global and 8 per torrent should work out. Trying full encryption didn't change anything. I don't know what it could possibly be, but Vuze is uploading SO much better it's actually ridiculous. Both clients have no IP filter right now, so that couldn't be it. They should also annouce to DHL and ALL trackers. Firewall rules are all green, allow everything. Weird stuff.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

Well said Tomaso, exactly what I think.

I've tested this before in the early stages of qBittorrent when I was using uTorrent;

- Same torrent, low peers like 5 (3 seeds, 2 peers), with qBittorrent one peer was uploading to me with max 35KB/s over uTp. Same torrent and same peer with uTorrent was maxing my connection speed with well over 1MB/s+ also using uTp. I was thinking why are they refusing to upload at much higher rate than when I use uTorrent?

- A torrent that downloads in an hour maybe with qBittorrent could download much faster with uTorrent sometimes if its has less peers. What I was seeing is that not all seeds were uploading to me but after going to uTorrent the same seeds started uploading. Very weird.

I also had opened a topic about it: http://qbforums.shiki.hu/index.php/topic,93.0.html. qBittorent had no uTp at that time, now it has but still the same behaviour if you ask me.

Its not always like this, sometimes qBitorrent is faster finding more peers over time but I think that uTorrent gives more to their own users than other users who are using something different than uTorrent.

-
Edit-1:
Alright, to get some facts here is a comparison what I have just made. Same torrent, same peers. The crosses mean that they are the same peers. Very interesting:

qBittorrent 3.1.0 (sledge's build):
55% with low download speed. Not going any higher for some reason.

uTorrent 2.2.1 (Build 25130):
Only after few minutes the same peers suddenly uploading to me at much higher rates. The download was complete within minutes

I don't know if this is only with 3.1.0 cause I had problems too with speeds so I will test it with 3.0.11 also to be sure. But still, as you can see the difference is huge. Ill be back about this.

-
Edit-2.

Wow.. Im even more surprised after testing it with 3.0.11; I get the same speeds like with uTorrent!

qBittorrent 3.0.11 (sledge's build):
Same peers, same speeds like uTorrent.

Even the first torrent on the first picture showing 3.1.0 is at higher speeds with 3.0.11; 28KB/s Vs 667KB/s. Not shown at the screenshot with 3.0.11.

So does this means that 3.1.0 is broke? Or lib 16.11 not working right? Lets hear it :). Im back to 3.0.11 after this.
Last edited by Nemo on Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobinmk

Post by bobinmk »

@ Nemo , I too tested the same way my downloads have the same problems. I tried with latest 3.1.1 , feels the same problem, but no issues with 3.0.11, currently with 3.0.11. I wonder there might be some bugs patch . But respect sledges' work. I do
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

[quote="bobinmk"]
But respect sledges' work. I do
[/quote]

Of course, everyone should :). What we do is to try our best to give the best detailed information available so sledge can look at it. This things can happen like any other program or client now and then. I trust sledge and Dayman to the fullest.
Tomaso

Post by Tomaso »

Maybe it isn't such a good idea to keep using the libtorrrent SVN for stable qBittorrent releases?
I mean, I DO understand that the SVN might contain some important fixes from time to time, but perhaps qBittorrent should be labeled as a BETA version whenever it's using it?
kroko

Post by kroko »

I also have the same problem.

I am with the downloads real slow, I use to have 1 / 2 mb download speed know I have 100kb :(
I notice this when I change from 3.0.11 to 3.1, I have changed back to 3.0.11 and I keep with the same problem, I tried to make a new install with the loaded preset without the loaded preset and I keep with this problem and it's real frustrating the speed is real slow.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

bobinmk try to keep this subject within 1 topic please. Closing and removing the other topic. Moved your message over here. No need for 2 seperate topics about the same subject. Its not an old topic either. Its also easier to search through and have all the information about this all together. Thanks :).

[quote="bobinmk"]
I find qbt 3.1.1.1 has issues with dl. speed as it doesn't have any issues with dl.speed as with till 3.0.11 .( Tested) . 3.0.11 came out fine. I find it has some problem with libtorrent version , I think
reference. Can somebody verify  to libtorrent for patch
(3.0.11 [Qt 4.8.5; libtorrent 0.16.10; OpenSSL 1.0.1e; Boost 1.54])
(3.1.1.1 [Qt 4.8.5; libtorrent 0.16.12; OpenSSL 1.0.1e; Boost 1.54])
[/quote]

Im still testing 3.1.1.1. If I go to 3.0.11 my speeds drasticly improve, im searching (atleast trying) whats causing this. If it works it works great for a moment but it won't last long.
Last edited by Nemo on Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

So let us test with libtorrent 0.16.10, which v3.0.11 used.

Here is v3.1.1 compiled with 0.16.10. Test it as much as you can and report if it is better.

http://builds.shiki.hu/temp/qbittorrent ... _setup.exe
jeps
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jeps »

It seems as a good idea to use such a slow file location in a thread with this name  ;D

Will tried it now (I think the download is finally finished).