BAD seeding performance

Windows specific questions, problems.
Pyro

BAD seeding performance

Post by Pyro »

Hi!
I think this deserves a thread of it's own. After having lots of trouble to get the client running in the first place, which only worked with the new x64 3.2 alpha build, I now face another serious problem.
After several tests and comparisons, I'm convinced my seeding performance on qBittorrent is exceptionally bad. Encryption on all clients is enabled, but unencrypted connections are allowed.
Since qbittorrent doesn't configure itself, I set the upload slots globally to 32 and 8 per torrent, the upload speed to 500kb/s and seed like 20 torrents, some public, some private.
IT DOES SEED, but never more than 50-100kb/s. Then I switched to Vuze 5.1 and while only adding a few torrents, it was already seeding at much higher speed, almost maxing it out.

I want qbittorrent to suck every drop of speed from my connection if possible.
I was always connected to my leaseweb server and I don't know of any blocking against bittorrent by leaseweb. I conclude that the qbittorrent client has exceptionally bad uploading settings. DHT was also enabled for both of course, same as PEX.
If anybody has a solution to this, I would be happy indeed. Maybe my settings are bad or something. Also, running vuze and qbittorrent as the SAME time is impossible for some reason, resulting in almost no speed for both?!

Thank you <3
stihia

Re: BAD seeding performance

Post by stihia »

Hi Pyro,
I assume you are talking about KB/s, otherwise your settings are awfully wrong. Even so (KB/s), you have 20 torrents with 8 slots each, i.e. 160 upload slots, wich means (theoretically) ~3 KB/s for each slot. You just hurt the swarms at this speed. I would recommend you to use Azureus' upload settings calculator here: http://infinite-source.de/az/az-calc.html. I did it for your parameters above and it showed 7 upload slots/torrent, BUT with a maximum of 4 torrents active (both downloading and uploading). Also, IF your upload speed is 500KB/s, then you should cap it at ~80% of it, i.e. 400 KB/s.
You shouldn't run 2 clients simultaneously on some private trackers.
What port do you use, btw? Separate port for DHT?
Last edited by stihia on Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Well, I'm seeding 20 torrents+ because only a small percentage actually is active, most of them have no leechers since they are from private trackers. Since global upload slots are limited to 32, each slot would get about 15-16KB/s if they were all actually active.
My maximum upload speed is somewhere about 600-700KB/s, lol... not giving the torrent client everything of course :p
I use kinda random ports between 10000-60000, no separate one for DHT, but that should not be required anyway, or at least I've never done so and never had any problems.
There is something wrong with the client or litborrent I fear. I use "lazy bitfield" in Vuze, but I doubt that would influence anything.
Well, I don't really care much anymore, because I switched fully back to Vuze since that seems the most advanced and stable, fast and relieable client at this point and I can seed a lot more. It also changes the number of upload slots required and seems to have very intelligent upload stategies in general. Maybe Qbittorrent just needs more time to fully mature...
Thanks though : )
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

I'll try to consult the libtorrent author on these uploading/downloading issues. There isn't much I can do. qBittorrent is just a "wrapper" of libtorrent.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

I see, thanks a lot, maybe it's something else entirely, but on the same network, on the same provider, etc. I get maximum upload with vuze and very slow upload with qbittorrent. I ought to be testing more thoroughly of course, with exactly the same torrent/s and settings, but I'm 99% sure something in qbittorrent is not letting me upload at full speed.
goblin024

Post by goblin024 »

Same here, download speed is great, upload speed on torrents which are downloading is ok (not great) but on torrents which are only seeding upload is not so good. After many hours of testing different settings i have noticed something strange QBITTORRENT IS NOT SEEDING (uploading) TO UTORRENT...... uploading to VUZE, Utorrent (on mac), and other clients but no upload to Utorrent on windows.

I am on windows 7, using windows firewall, ports open........... whent back to Utorrent 2.0.1, no problems with upload here.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

Uploading to VUZE, Utorrent (on mac), and other clients but no upload to Utorrent on windows
So a Windows uTorrent problem then. [No surprises there then].
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

[quote="goblin024"]
QBITTORRENT IS NOT SEEDING (uploading) TO UTORRENT...... uploading to VUZE, Utorrent (on mac), and other clients but no upload to Utorrent on windows.
[/quote]

Congratulations, you are the very first person having this + your very first post containing straight bullshit. Jokes aside, qBittorrent definitly seeds to uTorrent users (mine runs full days, even right now). If there was such a thing I would discover it immediatly as there are many users using uTorrent. Im sharing my own files directly to private torrent sites with hundreds of uTorrent users daily! Didn't count public torrents yet. If you want prove everyone can prove it to you, even right now with a screenshot if that would make you happy.

Why not putting down your internet speeds also? Maybe your internet is slow, how do we suppose to know that. ''It doesn't upload, bye, back to uTorrent''.. very detailed explanation indeed. Go use uTorrent then, nobody is forcing you to use qBittorrent, its too much for you anyway.
Last edited by Nemo on Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
goblin024

Post by goblin024 »

Such a strong language, dude you are admin, calm down. Sorry for bad explanation....here is better one.

My speed is ok, no problems with TIXATI, and uTorrent, only qBittorrent, my problem is qBittorrent + Windows Firewall, windows firewall is set to block all inbound and outbond traffic, when firewall is off qBittorrent is uploading ok but when I set firewall to on qBittorrent stops uploading to uTorrent, and only to uTorrent on windows, i am watching peers tab and first firewall is set to off and there are peers with uTorrent client, upload OK, and when i set firewall to on I lose upload to uTorrent !!!! but not to other clients.

I set windows 7 firewall to block all traffic and then create rules to allow specific applications, when i create rules for uTorrent or Tixati no problems but something strange happening with qBittorrent.

If someone can help would be appreciated.
jeps
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jeps »

I think you caught Nemo on a bad day  ;)

The thing about Windows, Firewall and qBittorrent is something that puzzled for some time.
When qBittorrent is installed (32 bit official release) a firewall rule is created allowing incoming connections, but only for "Public networks".
Most people are behind a NAT router and they must change the firewall rule to include "Private networks", since (most likely) they have told Windows that their network connection i a "Private network".

If you (like me) use the 64-bit version the installer does this as expected (creating a rule for "Private network" and not "Public network")

I hope Dayman will find time to make a 64-bit release soon.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

[quote="goblin024"]
Such a strong language, dude you are admin, calm down. Sorry for bad explanation....here is better one.
[/quote]

Im always calm and glad to help anyone, its just the way you wrote it isn't right to help or give any advice on what to do about it. You only say that it doesn't upload to uTorrent and went back to it. I thought what should I say in order to help, or say goodbye cause you went back to uTorrent. Thats why I gave you that answer at that moment.

Thanks for the better explanation, which is way better than the first one. Now we know why this happens (maybe). You can try x64 builds like jeps has mentioned and see how it goes. Somehow the x64 builds work better for users on x64 systems.
Last edited by Nemo on Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

[quote="goblin024"]i am watching peers tab and first firewall is set to off and there are peers with uTorrent client, upload OK, and when i set firewall to on I lose upload to uTorrent !!!! but not to other clients.

I set windows 7 firewall to block all traffic and then create rules to allow specific applications, when i create rules for uTorrent or Tixati no problems but something strange happening with qBittorrent.

If someone can help would be appreciated.
[/quote]

qBT is not "selective"  about what client is going to serve data to, if you can upload to any other client IDs the issue is at the 'other end' not with your client.

uTorrent currently has a few problems (to say the least) with optimistically connecting to peers but not requesting any pieces, errant 'choking' messages, etc. etc.
It's rather ironic that a client developed by a company that was started by the man who wrote the protocol, should have so many problems with it.
goblin024

Post by goblin024 »

I am on Windows 7 64bit, network is set as "Public", i am behind NAT router, firewall rule is created by qBittorrent in incoming connections by default, but I am blocking inbound and outbond..... so i had to create one more rule for outbound connections. (in all rules for qBittorrent public is selected)...

Windows firewall default settings: inbound  (block)
                                                outbound (allow)

Windows firewall my settings: inbound  (block all connections)
                                            outbound (block)

I have run into some applications which require some specific port to be opened to work correctly, not enough to allow application through firewall.....maybe this is the problem?

Will tray 64 bit version and report back.........

ps english is not my native language so it is kind of a pain in the ass to write.... I am traying to solve this problem for several weeks now... whent to utorrent 2.0.1 after losing patience...
goblin024

Post by goblin024 »

People i am not saying uTorrent or qBittorrent or Vuze or Tixati or Halite ...........................

It is "simple" (wish it was), windows firewall + qBittorrent = PROBLEM ...... SEARCHING FOR SOLUTION.

I want to keep using windows firewall and qBittorrent.... but i am not capable to find solution on my own......
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

You do know that if you are connected via a NAT Router a "software" firewall is totally redundant, because your machine(s) and operating system, which are the only vulnerable things on your network, are NOT accessible from the "outside world" UNLESS you have specifically forwarded a port number through the NAT routing.
Incoming 'probes' by crackers and infectors on your external IP will be routed to 'nowhere' (0.0.0.0) unless you have a machine configured as D.M.Z. (DeMilitaris(z)ed Zone) in which case THAT will be catching the crap.
Also being 'warned' about unknown outbound is an "after the fact" 'warning' and means that you are too late and the machine IS infected.