qbittorrent crashes after about 30 seconds

Windows specific questions, problems.
IcYhAwK

qbittorrent crashes after about 30 seconds

Post by IcYhAwK »

i have tried most versions to date but the only ones that continue to run is 3.0.11 and previous. i updated and it crashes after 30 seconds after i start it. i have tried multiple versions but the only ones working for me are 3.0.11 and previous. very frustrating. as a side note, im not getting full speeds either. when it is adding seeders i get good speed but then it throttles back. i am running win 7 home premium sp1 x64 all updates. please help

UPDATE:--I figured it out. All the problems were due to nvLsp64.dll That is the Nvidia network access manager. In the Nvidia control panel under networking. it is the Nvidia Firstpacket technology. When it is enabled, QB crash and when disabled, All is good. So in summary, QB is not compatible with "Firstpacket". Thanks for the interest guys, I hope this helps someone else in the future.
Last edited by IcYhAwK on Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ironcross

Re: qbittorrent crashes after about 30 seconds

Post by ironcross »

[quote="IcYhAwK"]
...all updates.
[/quote]

That's not good. Windows update should be turned off and even disabled as service immediately after install.
About qBittorrent - are you tried clean install?
IcYhAwK

Post by IcYhAwK »

I have tried a clean install of qbittorrent multiple times. why are the windows updates bad?? could you please explain?
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

You don't need ALL the updates, if you want to update then the important ones are good enough. If I update I do it each 4-5 months but not every week or month . Then again the average user needs them more than an expert user in my opinion. I can do it without it too.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

Lemme join to the discussion.
What's wrong with updates exactly?

I always used fully updated systems since XP. Had no problems, and they made no difference.
Except the system wasn't vulnerable to those given attacks.
But why would you wilfully keep your system at danger?
loki

Post by loki »

What I think about Windows updates is the controversy weather the updates actually do any good. I do keep my Windows system up to date, including Windows Defender updates and yes they admit their antivirus isn't enough, it warns you to install antivirus software if it doesn't detect any. But I refuse to install latest IE, I don't use it, why bother? They will probably force it on me at some point but I'll deal with that when time arises.

Also, I hate when I finally decide to update then it needs to restart, it comes back and says there's more updates (meaning another restart) after it just installed updates... really? It couldn't just install all the updates in one go?
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

Why there is an auto-restart feature?
Because the average Joe have no idea how computers work.

Imagine if they would never, ever use patches. And the whole world would just become a huge botnet.
The situation is bad even like this, but I can't imagine the damage that would cause.
Sure it's annoying for the power users... but well, how long does it take to turn them off?

Even XP had that window right at install where you could select "Download but let me install updates."
Same in 7 and 8... and 8.1
(I always used this feature.)
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

You guys are both right. Some installs everything and some are looking into it and picking whatever they want. What I mean is that you need to install the updates but you don't need to install all of them like the language packs for example. If you do it shiki's way you can choose what you want or not instead installing everything right away. Same with loki; Im not installing Internet Explorer either cause I never use it (long live Firefox). A normal, casual user doesn't know all of this. In that case its easy to choose the important updates instead everything (or optionals which are less important). If you don't want to go through all that you can go with installing everything which will work just as good. Its better than installing nothing at the end of the day.

I have disabled Windows Update on my system and only check (scan for updates) if I want to and decide whenever it downloads or not, I hate it when the update logo pops up on the corner and staying there every time again and again. Its also very important to keep all your programs updated like Java, Flash, Silverlight and so on. For the more advanced users I can advice HijackThis to see whats starting up with your system when booting.

Installing nothing, really nothing can be dangerous indeed. There is a zero day leak currently with XP what I have read recently that gives the hacker more rights like administrator or any user which is still not being fixed (yet, I guess). I don't know why XP users keep using that old OS instead upgrading to, a safer, W7. Also most of the time the real danger is the user itself causing all kinds of infects, adware and malware installations. WIndows Updates won't help you with everything, you must know too what you're doing.

(The funny thing is that I had XP installed in the past for 2-3 years without any updates and never had any problems. Scanning for updates showed over 100 updates available lol :P.)
Last edited by Nemo on Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IcYhAwK

Post by IcYhAwK »

Thanks for the info. I do have auto updates turned off. i usually only install the important updates and most of the optional updates. im a chrome user so IE will not be installed. I just reset my comp to factory settings. (boot time was getting way too slow) I will update and reinstall QB. I will post back as to whether new version works or not

THX
ironcross

Post by ironcross »

[quote="Nemo"]
I don't know why XP users keep using that old OS instead upgrading to, a safer, W7.
[/quote]

Because there are still a lot of people with old machines, who thinks Win 7 will be "too heavy" for their systems. This is correct... if you choose Ultimate. No one wants Starter or Home Basic, because their lack of "features". But the average user don't even know what exactly are these features and actually never use them. What do the average user on his PC - browsing the net, watching online video, downloading some stuff, playing multimedia; all this can be done with Starter and it's not much "heavier" than XP. But the Starter is ugly, indeed. And again - this is not quite true.
Here's the Aero Patch: http://winaero.com/comment.php?comment.news.15
And you have Aero support, transparency, themes support, window frames color change, wallpaper change, etc. premium features.
And here is the Placebo themes pack: http://solmiler.deviantart.com/art/Plac ... -188414149
It have both Aero and Basic themes support.
Now on my old laptop I use Starter and it looks cool. And it's light. No problems for me. The problem is that the people don't want to read. They only clicks like brainless zombies.
About the updates - the Service Packs are enough imho. The most important is the device behind the keyboard ;)
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

Well said iron, can't agree more :).
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

Is this happening with every torrent you add? Even the Ubuntu torrents?
IcYhAwK

Post by IcYhAwK »

I figured it out. All the problems were due to nvLsp64.dll That is the Nvidia network access manager. In the Nvidia control panel under networking. it is the Nvidia Firstpacket technology. When it is enabled, QB crash and when disabled, All is good. So in summary, QB is not compatible with "Firstpacket". Thanks for the interest guys, I hope this helps someone else in the future.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

We could make the installer check for this, right Sledge?
(Seems like a good idea on Windows...)

And @IcYhAwK: thanks for the information. It's really valuable if we have exact stories/steps to repro.
Tomaso

Post by Tomaso »

[quote="IcYhAwK"]
All the problems were due to nvLsp64.dll That is the Nvidia network access manager. In the Nvidia control panel under networking. it is the Nvidia Firstpacket technology. When it is enabled, QB crash and when disabled, All is good.[/quote]

Nvidia makes some really nasty driver packages these days.
Some months ago I made the mistake of installing their entire graphics drivers package..
This resulted in a whole bunch of hidden processes that tried to gain internet access.
..It even created an extra Windows user account!
Luckily I was able to uninstall, clean up the mess and run a custom install.