Multiple Issues, Buggy in General

Windows specific questions, problems.
sodfij234234

Multiple Issues, Buggy in General

Post by sodfij234234 »

1.  Can't close qBittorrent once opened (even 'end process' won't work; have to restart computer).
2.  Downloads stall to zero upload/download randomly (while in progress or during initial start).
3.  Slows down computer randomly (usually when one of the above occurrences happen and trying to close program).

I'll add to list if I think of more.  For now I'm trying Halite.

Edit:

Would be great if I could delete files in a torrent on my own without having to recheck everything or getting i/o errors.  I have limited hard drive space and with large torrents this is an issue.  When I uncheck the files and delete them from the "unwanted" folder, I have to recheck the entire torrent otherwise I get i/o errors and download will stop.
Last edited by sodfij234234 on Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Multiple Issues, Buggy in General

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

For number 2 use this patched version: http://qbforums.shiki.hu/index.php?acti ... attach=490

For the "delete unwanted files" issue, there isn't much I can do about it. Libtorrent doesn't auto-detect when you delete those files.
sodfij234234

Post by sodfij234234 »

Thank you.  I did install the 3.2 patched version.  Seems to be going really fast now.

Another thing I wanted to mention is it would be nice to prioritize different torrents altogether, not just the files inside individual torrent.
sodfij234234

Post by sodfij234234 »

What's been happening the past 3-4 days and just now did again (even with 3.2 alpha with patch):

*  Download starts
*  Stalls randomly
*  Won't start up at all unless I restart the computer
*  Try to delete stalled torrent
*  Goes to "not responding"
*  Can't close through task manager
*  Have to restart to close
*  Restart
*  Repeat above

Guess it's just utorrent 1.6.1 for me if I ever need anything dependable.  Really would like an open source client that works.  Tried just about all of them.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

What kind of speeds are you getting(down and up)? Is it possible that the hard cannot keep up?
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

[quote="sodfij234234"]
What's been happening the past 3-4 days and just now did again (even with 3.2 alpha with patch):

*  Download starts
*  Stalls randomly
*  Won't start up at all unless I restart the computer
*  Try to delete stalled torrent
*  Goes to "not responding"
*  Can't close through task manager
*  Have to restart to close
*  Restart
*  Repeat above

Guess it's just utorrent 1.6.1 for me if I ever need anything dependable.  Really would like an open source client that works.  Tried just about all of them.
[/quote]

Hey, that stuff sounds really familiar. I had some similar problems, and I think switching to the x64 alpha build fixed them for me. Not sure if it's 100% fixed, because I don't have qBt running all that much now, but it's worth a try. Also, the disk cache might have to be increased,
I had qBt freezing like that, crashing, then suddenly warning me of 1000 I/O errors. If you switch again, I'd go with vuze 5.1 or uT 2.2.1, my favorite clients after Qbt. I think there might be some bug in the libtorrent, which was not developed with windows in mind I believe. It can't be litborrent in itself though, because most seedboxes are running rutorrent, which is based on libtorrent, on linux forever without any issues whatsoever (not sure if it's linux..., but not windows for sure).
Also, if you use windows 8, I had a lot of problems too... maybe it's not really compatible yet.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

While, I don't have any clue on what's going with problems described I have to comment on this:
because most seedboxes are running rutorrent, which is based on libtorrent, on linux forever without any issues whatsoever (not sure if it's linux..., but not windows for sure).
There are 2 open source torrent libraries out there with the name "libtorrent".
One is libtorrent-rasterbar, which qbt uses: http://libtorrent.org/
The other one is libtorrent-rakshasa(or libTorrent), which rTorrent uses: http://libtorrent.rakshasa.no/
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Those problems exist and they are not imagined!
While they may not be apparent everybody right away, they've caused me grief, tears and many a sleepless night, so please do take them seriously!
Qbittorrent's latest official stable build doesn't run as stable as other clients on neither windows 7 x64 and windows 8 x64 and there must be a reason for this! I was trying to blame libtorrent, but maybe it's your fault!
Could you not perform a test on the current windows editions? Run the client, add a lot of torrents, don't modify any settings, and sooner or later, you will be crying yourself to sleep with anger and despair, just like me!

Well, it wasn't as bad as it sounds... but please try to investigate.
jeps
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jeps »

I have actually experienced something like the above.

When I wanted to change to another qTorrent version (slow download issue thread) I did it by closing the running qTorrent process.
Or so I thought.
I then installed the new version and launched it (without realizing that the old qTorrent process was still running/crashed).

This lead to many strange things and I had to restart the PC.
After restart, whenever I added a new Torrent (magnet link), it would start a new (old?) process and my PC would die on me.
I had to clean up magnet link handling in the Reg. database and I am not really sure if I got it fixed.
Some of this sounds a bit like the issues mentioned above.

On a side note, please make the firewall rule, added during install, apply to all network environments (public, private, domain).
Now it only adds a rule for "public" and this isn't very helpful for most people.
Seedthis

Post by Seedthis »

No problems there on Windows 7 X86. I'm seeding something like 550 torrents for more than 10 hours a day and it never crashes.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Can you share your EXACT settings, like everything? please :) <3
Seedthis

Post by Seedthis »

Hi Pyro, well that's a lot of settings to provide :-D. I can say that i didn't touch the advanced section in the options.

First I download files in a folder and manually move them after download because i like to keep things clean. Something like downloadfolder/trackername/category

Technical side of things :

- Windows 7 X86 SP1 with latest updates
- Graphic customizations all over the place
- Mostly open source or bought software installed (and a few...ahem, "modified" apps)
- qBittorrent 3.1.3
- 100/10 fiber optic line
- Not using any proxy or VPN

qBt settings :

- PEX, DHT, LSD, UPNP, NAT -> disabled. I'm only using private trackers and have opened a static port in my router above 60000.
- 500 global connections, 100 per torrent
- 8 global upload slots / 4 per torrent
- torrent queueing disabled
- no share ratio limit
- encryption mode -> require encryption
- WebUI with SSL
- No ip filtering
- No rate limiting unless there are people at house needing the connection (not so often).

If you need something else, feel free to ask.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Hey, thanks a lot!

With the new release it's actually running ok, though still hanging or freezing occasionally for some time, but it usually recovers after some time. Download/upload speeds are much improved and no complete crashes anymore so far. So that's great. It's occasionally hanging when adding a new torrent, rechecking or even starting the client.

My setup is as different as it gets though and although I do prefer privat trackers, I like to use public ones too for some stuff, and have DHT, PEX enabled for example, even though most private trackers say to disable DHT, it's nonsense I think. Never got any stats wrong. Also I'm using Win 8.1 x64, VPN and have made some changes in the advanced settings.
I was thinking about having a temp folder on my SSD, then moving to the HDD after download, never done that. It won't interfere with seeding I hope?

kind regards
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

@Pyro I may have asked this again, but how many torrents do you usually have in your transferlist? (regardless of state)
Seedthis

Post by Seedthis »

[quote="Pyro"]
I was thinking about having a temp folder on my SSD, then moving to the HDD after download, never done that. It won't interfere with seeding I hope?
[/quote]

It should not, depending on how you do it. I mean if you shut down qBt before relocating files, qBt will not find the files on next start and will try to redownload them but i guess that you already know that.

The only "problem" in your case is that doing too much operations on your SSD, especially writing operations, is not recommended, it can surely shorten the life of flash memory cells. That's why SSD are generally used for the OS.