qBitTorrents loses setting?

Windows specific questions, problems.
samyrius

Re: qBitTorrents loses setting?

Post by samyrius »

[quote="ciaobaby"]
Okay so it is starting to narrow down to a file saving 'issue' when the client is 'forced' to close by an 'external' means.
[/quote]
Just to clarify, the 3.1.4 installer prompted me to exit the old client, and I did so "cleanly" (file->exit). Once the installer finished, I started up the newly installed 3.1.4 and I still had all my settings. It wasn't until a full reboot that I lost my settings. Restoring from hibernate hasn't caused the problem yet to my knowledge. I'll try and reproduce the issue today.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

It wasn't until a full reboot that I lost my settings.
Was the reboot a 'clean' shutdown though?
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

BUGFIX: Third attempt at fixing saving settings on OS shutdown. (sledgehammer999)
qBittorrent v3.1.5
samyrius

Post by samyrius »

ciaobaby wrote:
It wasn't until a full reboot that I lost my settings.
Was the reboot a 'clean' shutdown though?
I can't say for sure because I don't know how "cleanly" Windows 7 exits applications on shutdown.

I installed 3.1.5 and will report back if settings are still getting reset.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

A 'clean' shutdown would be exiting qBT before starting the Windows shutdown, if an application window or a background process (libtorrent) does not 'yield' to the Windows shutdown event in a "timely manner" they are simply forced to close.
delicadaz

Post by delicadaz »

Im on Linux and using qB 3.1.5        ....... ANY AND ALL  changes made in settings are null invoid............... nothing stays as i set it....... untick pex or dht........... change number of global connections.............upload slots.......... etc etc
NOTHING stays as i set it

Also i cannot change file destination either at time of starting download in the dialogue box..........nor later during middle of D/L..........or after it is finished....... have tried restarting qB,  have tried rebooting
Last edited by delicadaz on Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

Can more linux users confirm this {altough its the windows section :P)? Im on W7 64Bit and did several reboots from my system and restarts from qBittorrent in the mean time its released and all my settings are still there. v3.1.5 is very stable over here.
GannTrader

Post by GannTrader »

Tonight my computer restarted by itself for some reason.
When i after restart of windows started QBT all setting were gone.
Im on Windows 7 x64 QBT 3.1.5

/GannTrader
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

[quote="ciaobaby"]
A 'clean' shutdown would be exiting qBT before starting the Windows shutdown, if an application window or a background process (libtorrent) does not 'yield' to the Windows shutdown event in a "timely manner" they are simply forced to close.
[/quote]

This.
Deses

Post by Deses »

My computer just BSOD (for no apparent reason, I was just browsing) and the settings are gone, great. Before it remembered some settings like the RSS downloads (but not the feeds), now it remembered nothing. :/
loki

Post by loki »

BSOD means it's not given a chance to backup settings or changes that it would normally do on a "clean" shutdown or program close. Unfortunately, this is likely not the problem of qB, unless it caused the BSOD.
I really wish people would stop blaming the program for reasons it has no control over... rather than their own system or other programs that cause the system to crash.

To attempt to answer your previous question of how to backup a known good configuration. Setup all the settings the way you want them, do a "clean" shutdown of qB, File -> Exit or Ctrl+Q, also making sure that it is no longer listed in task manager. This, if working correctly will write the settings to disk in the usual location, if wanting to be doubly backed up then copy these folders, however these will change when you make a new setting or add a new torrent.
Last edited by loki on Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deses

Post by Deses »

Well, no problem. If you client can't manage to work under all circumstances, I'll just switch to another one, there are plenty! :D
Last edited by Deses on Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

Maybe you should fix your system first before blaming qBittorrent for it. Or use what works for you, after all its your choice. I personally don't care what you use really :).
Last edited by Nemo on Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alain93

Post by alain93 »

just yesterday power went off at my house, when rebooted qB lost all settings (w7-32, qB 3.15).
Would it be difficult to add a SAVE settings and LOAD setting button?