qBitTorrents loses setting?

Windows specific questions, problems.
Seedthis

Re: qBitTorrents loses setting?

Post by Seedthis »

I was in the same situation (no problems) until yesterday, qBt (3.1.4) process hanged and took 50% of my CPU time. I terminated the process and upon restart, settings were reset. Fortunately i backup my appdata/local/qbittorrent on a regular basis.
Ciwi

Post by Ciwi »

From my understanding everyone who experiences the problem is using Win7 64x, what about you?
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

Me too, thats why im wondering that it works on my system. Im using official build from sledge and Dayman's build on my laptop both v3.1.4. Always closing qBittorrent before shutting down my system to be sure it saves everything and closes as it should. I must say that I never had anything like this even with the older builds. I thought at first maybe something like CCleaner or Systemninja (system cleaners of any kind) deletes your settings perhaps? Im following this thread closely and if I find something useful ill report here to you guys.
loki

Post by loki »

Win 7 64bit here, with dayman 64bit build, happened once to me because was in a rush to shutdown and forget to close qB first... but I swear this is also random because on other occasions shutting down without first closing qB with no such consequence.
Seedthis

Post by Seedthis »

[quote="Ciwi"]
From my understanding everyone who experiences the problem is using Win7 64x, what about you?
[/quote]

Oh yeah sorry. I'm using Win 7 SP1 x86 with latest updates and official qBt 3.1.4 build.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

[quote="Ciwi"]
[/quote]

32bit Win7 same problem, haven't updated the 64bit Win 7 machine yet.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

Just done a flawless update from 3.0.8 to 3.1.4 all settings intact (Win 7 32bit) Only difference is that the client was fully shutdown before I ran the update rather than allowing an automatic update to close the running instance.
Deses

Post by Deses »

I'm having the same problems, but I've identified when it's happening. Win 7 x64.

I mine bitcoin, and I usually have qBittorrent running while I mine, and sometimes the computer crashes because I push too far the GPU overclock, then the computer reboots and qBittorrent loses the configuration. So If the computer crashes while qBittorrent is running, it loses the configuration.

I did not encounter this problem back when I used the ad-ridden uTorrent. D:

One more thing... while this is not fixed, is there a way to backup the configuration files?

Cheers!
Last edited by Deses on Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

[quote="Deses"]
So If the computer crashes while qBittorrent is running, it loses the configuration.
[/quote]

Which is obvious. Its not saving the settings, instead its closing the way it shouldn't (crashing).

[quote="Deses"]
is there a way to backup the configuration files?
[/quote]

There is. They are hidden so enable ''Show hidden folders'' first. Save or backup the following folders from qBittorrent:
- C:\Users\[User]\AppData\Local\qBittorrent
- C:\Users\[User]\AppData\Roaming\qBittorrent
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

Yesterday when I started up qBittorrent the Name, Size and others were back to default but my settings were intact. First time that something has changed out of itself :P. Changed back to how it was and running again as usual. I hope it gets fixed soon.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

I'll confirm the "not saving settings" scenario, or maybe it is a "file integrity check"/"dirty shutdown"  flag that is triggering the behaviour to drop the setting data files

If the client is allowed to shutdown fully (gone from the process list in Task Manager)  before powering down, the settings stay intact, forcing close down (Windows shutdown event or task killing from TM)

Deses mentioned not having the problem with uTorrent, it does happen quite often but the "fail-over" system works quite well.

uTorrent saves a "Last known good" file for settings (and resume) data in '.dat.old' on each "clean" start, so if the client restarts after a "dirty close" it can recover transparently, sometimes without even triggering a startup recheck.
The corrupt dat file is renamed as dat.bad so can be examined if you so wish

For backing up data files, a "shortcut" to the INI file location is to type "%appdata%/qbittorrent/" into the Run ... dialogue (Start -> Run... or 'Windows' Key+R) then press [Enter]. That saves having to put "Show hidden files" on and off each time.
samyrius

Post by samyrius »

Hello! Just wanted to chime in that I am having the same issue after updating to version 3.1.4. I've lost my settings twice so far. I'm running Win7 x64 and I do not use any cleaner programs or other applications that could have deleted the settings.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

[quote="samyrius"]
Hello! Just wanted to chime in that I am having the same issue after updating to version 3.1.4. I've lost my settings twice so far. I'm running Win7 x64 and I do not use any cleaner programs or other applications that could have deleted the settings.
[/quote]
Was this an "automatic" update with the client still running?
samyrius

Post by samyrius »

[quote="ciaobaby"]
[quote="samyrius"]
[/quote]
Was this an "automatic" update with the client still running?
[/quote]
If by automatic you mean through the reminder dialog, yes. The client was exited once prompted by the installer. Settings didn't get lost until a reboot, and the second time I lost settings was also after a reboot.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

Okay so it is starting to narrow down to a file saving 'issue' when the client is 'forced' to close by an 'external' means.