Editing Resume.ini

Windows specific questions, problems.
Jinx

Editing Resume.ini

Post by Jinx »

Is there an easy way to view/edit resume.ini? It is obviously encoded in a straightforward manner, but what is the appropriate method to view/edit it?

"Ultima" made a [url=http://"https://sites.google.com/site/ultimasites/bencode-editor"]BEncode Editor[/url] years ago which works with torrent files and µTorrent's "resume.dat". I'm hoping there is something similar for qBT!

One example of why one might wish to do this is to be able to mass move files (e.g. from old drive to new drive) without having to reset the location on every torrent individually. Even though the "set location" provides a nice dialog and can handle multiple torrents, it can't "mass replace" path names while still maintaining any structure (e.g. "video\torrent1" "audio\torrent2" "games\torrent3').
Last edited by Jinx on Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
ciaobaby

Re: Editing Resume.ini

Post by ciaobaby »

Any text editor will do that. It will not make it "human readable" but as it is a plain text file so is readily viewable/editable with one.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

The value of the "torrents" key is a serialized QVariant. The serialization is handled by Qt itself and I don't an idea you they do it. Probably the apply a simple hash on the data so they can be saved as text.

There might be 2 alternatives. Never tested them though:
1. Select multiple torrents, right click->set location...
2. Edit with BEncoder the .fastresume files. Look for the "qBt-savePath" key. However, changes in this key are picked-up by qbt only when qbittorrent-resume.ini is missing or corrupted. So try it with that file renamed on a few torrents.
Jinx

Post by Jinx »

Thank you for the reply, sledgehammer_999; however, I'm not really sure I comprehend your proposed alternative (#2). I don't see any ".fastresume" files in my application data directory, nor do I see a "qBt-savePath" option in qBT's settings INI (or in its option dialog). I'd rather not muck around in the system registry for this, and I think most users would feel similarly. It seems like there really ought to be a better way to mass edit/move torrents.

Unfortunately, right-clicking on multiple torrents only works if you want to assign them all to the same directory (i.e. you have no tree structure you wish to preserve). What I wish to do is replace a "root" directory X with Y. So, "C:\Torrents" becomes "D:\NewFolder\Torrents", but the subdirectory trees remain ("C:\Torrents\Video" becomes "D:\NewFolder\Torrents\Video"). This could be done easily with a simple find/replace if only the "resume.ini" file was readable/editable!

Otherwise, I wonder if there might be some sort of import/export option in the works? If I recall correctly, this was proposed on Github in a few different ways. Seeing as qBT still has a lot of issues when dealing with where data belongs, an import/export option would probably be the most straight-forward solution.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

Go to the equivalent of "C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\qBittorrent\BT_backup"

There you will find the fastresume data. Edit them with bencoder while qbt isn't running.