Mapped Network drives dissapearing.

Windows specific questions, problems.
askusbloodfist

Mapped Network drives dissapearing.

Post by askusbloodfist »

Hi there everyone.

i started using qbitorrent some days ago and got everything working in general that i had problems with by searching around the forum for answers. But i still have one big one.

I have 4 Mapped network drives that when i try to access them from the shell they are simply not visual.

let say i just go in to This computer in windows yes then they are there.

And if i open the shell for example in the Rss downloader and then klick were i want the files to go then the networkdrivas dont show. And if i readd them in the shell they show upp aslong as i dont restart the computer. Then i have to readd them again.

I hope this will make you understand the problem.

First pic you see this computer in windows and yepp network drives are showing upp.

And then when you go in to rss downloader and press brows the drive are not visual INSIDE QBITTTORENT yeh yeh they are still there if you look outside of Qbittorrent.

So note that if i go in to my computer in windows they are there all the time.

Why is this? is there anywork around other then to readd them all the time?

Im on a windows 8 x64 system.

its like the shell is missing some code or just forgetting that the drives are acualy there.

i tried both the stable vesion and the 3.2 and same problem.

I have allso removed all configs started from scratch with all vertions and problem presist.

Only way to make it work for me right now is the everytime i restart is to add them in qbittorrent shell. and as ive said the drives are fully mapped in windows its just that qbitorrent wont understand that exept if i readd them everytime i restart inside the shell.
Last edited by askusbloodfist on Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ciaobaby

Re: Mapped Network drives dissapearing.

Post by ciaobaby »

I have 4 Mapped network drives that when i try to access them from the shell they are simply not visual.
And this is a qBitTorrent problem because???
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

I know EXACTLY what a 'shell' is and that it is NOTHING to do with qBitTorrent, unless of course YOUR definition of 'shell' is NOT "a command line interface to the computer operating system".

So when you explain what YOU mean by 'shell' everybody will understand the question you are asking.
askusbloodfist

Post by askusbloodfist »

I hope this will make you understand the problem.

First pic you see this computer in windows and yepp network drives are showing upp.

And then when you go in to rss downloader and press brows the drive are not visual INSIDE QBITTTORENT yeh yeh they are still there if you look outside of Qbittorrent.

So feel free to explain how this is not a problem inside qbittorrent.
Last edited by askusbloodfist on Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

Hmm, this might actually be a limitation of Qt. If I remember it, I'll look at the qBittorent code tomorrow to make sure it does the right thing and doesn't intentionally hide the networked drives.
Do you get the same screenshots with the latest v3.2.0alpha version too?
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Do they show up in File->Add torrent file... ?
askusbloodfist

Post by askusbloodfist »

Hi  sledgehammer_999 thx for the respons.

Im using  v3.2.0alpha right now and did it when i took the screenshots. and yeh when you go File->Add torrent file  the problem is the same.

And as i said before. only way to make the apear is to re add them when im in "File->Add torrent file" by right klicking My Computer and then add network drive.

But as you see fromt he pictures. the networkdrives are already made but Qbittorrent does not want to understand that. And when i restart the computer or login logout and startup qbittorrent then they are gone again.
Last edited by askusbloodfist on Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

So not a 'shell' at all but the GUI (Graphical User Interface).

A 'shell' in computing terms is the command line interface in all Unix variants. This is a world where everyone has to use the correct terminology or be explicit in what they are referring to if communication errors are to be avoided
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

Chill guys :).

Oftopic:
Everyone has its own way of answering or questioning and so has ciao. You might not like his answer but thats not the case. If you had posted your first post with detailed explanation of your problem with the pictures included (not after getting the answer from ciao) things might have been different. Even then stay calm and don't start calling someone a prick, dick or whatever you were thinking at that moment which is not nice from you. Im not saying that ciao's answer was great but atleast I don't see any bad words in it. He asked why and your pictures made it all clear. As a new user we don't know what your overall knowledge is about torrenting in general so don't expect to get the perfect answer right away. Maybe it would be nice to introduce yourself at our introduction section, but thats what im thinking.

Also; For someone coming here newly and saying that ciao who is here actively for the past months (maybe a year or longer already) isn't being qualified for moderation is also weird. Then I can take the same conclusion about you as a new user coming here and thinking to know all better and starting to call bad words to the mods. Isn't logical is it :). It won't make your name any good too.

Don't forget that you are getting support here for free, its not our daily job to stay here forever for your well being.

Thanks, Nemo.
Last edited by Nemo on Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

I won't go further into this, I've said what I wanted to say and thats it. Lets keep things ontopic from now on.

Also lets leave the mod choices for ourselves, your opinion isn't needed for us to make that decisions. Further responds concerning this subject will be deleted without warning.
askusbloodfist

Post by askusbloodfist »

Agreed.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

Obviously I know what the Windows 'shell' is is and THAT is nothing to do with qBitTorrent either

"Shell" commands in windows are  ones that use the underlying functions of the operating system and in that respect and basically are the same as Unix/Linux 'shell' commands.

When I answer a question I want to answer the one the the poster actually requires the answer to, NOT one that I have guessed at what they actually mean, so when I ask for clarification of the request I am going to do so in a way that makes the request as unambiguous as possible.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

@everyone

The issue here is that mapped network drives aren't displayed in qbt's open/save dialog as they should.
Discussions about what is a shell and whatnot are totally irrelevant and only contribute to clutter the current topic and derail the discussion.

Only comments/info about the issue are permitted from this point on. Or observations that might help solve it.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Windows XP host and Windows XP guest (VM). I mount a folder from the host OS to the guest OS as network drive and I map it to a letter (E). Then I launch qbt in the guest OS and do file->open torrent file. I select "my computer" in the dialog and the mapped drive is showing.

PS: I am using today's git master aka v3.2.0alpha.
askusbloodfist

Post by askusbloodfist »

hmmm dont know if its a windows 8 thing then. ive tried it on both windows 8.0 and 8.1 and its the same on both.

The alpha i find is from 20 days ago.. But did you btw restart the vm section totaly? as the mapped drives dissapears from qbitorrent after ive done that. (Restarted windows that is)
Last edited by askusbloodfist on Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.