Windows Vista and up 64bit
70%

Total votes: 20

sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

[poll]Stop supporting Windows XP?

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

In a month or two, I am going to have a hardware upgrade.
I am also contemplating an OS upgrade. I am not sure yet.
Let's say that I actually go ahead and upgrade from Windows XP. I want to know what part of the users still use Windows XP.
I also want to know how many use a 32bit Vista+ machine.

If Windows XP users are minimal, I'll switch to 64bit only binaries. (assuming that I actually upgrade from XP ).

PS: Don't get your hopes up yet.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Re: [poll]Stop supporting Windows XP?

Post by Nemo »

I voted for Windows Vista and up 64bit.

Today the day many people are using a 64-Bit OS and left 32-Bit completely. It has more benefits; an important one is higher RAM that can be placed and supported. It still can run 32-Bit programs flawlessly.

If you are planning to upgrade your OS I would advice Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit, or Windows 8.1 64-Bit. Why 8.1? Well it has some great improvments under the hood and some say its even better than 7 but I didn't tried it yet myself. Im using Windows 7 for the past years and it just works perfectly. If you are thinking about Vista just pass it and use Windows 7 instead.
Last edited by Nemo on Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

I definitely concur with bypassing Vista totally, I used Windows 7 for a little over five years with very few problems, the biggest was getting dual monitors to work with independent resolutions on my Matrox G650 video card, but once it got there it did stay working

Win 8.1 is an improvement over 8 particularly in terms of usability with a mouse and keyboard, but it is a bit glitchy from what I have seen of it.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

I want to prevent any talks about which Windows ver is good or not. So I reassure you that I'll certainly skip Vista. I'll choose either 7 or 8.1 64bit.
loki

Post by loki »

A 32bit version could be kept for compatibility reasons just for the fact that 32 will run on a 64 system but not the other way around, but I'm pretty sure 32bit will be and or already is history, they will be the ones needing to compile their own from source.
Also, to add, I don't even think you can buy a standard 32bit processor anymore they all switched to 64bit.

And... hasn't Windows officially (finally) stopped support for XP?
It would be like someone still using a version of Ubuntu from before there was an Ubuntu or Debian from 3.0 days... wow, like ancient.
Last edited by loki on Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
100%

Post by 100% »

[quote="sledgehammer_999"]
I want to prevent any talks about which Windows ver is good or not. So I reassure you that I'll certainly skip Vista. I'll choose either 7 or 8.1 64bit.[/quote]

I cannot tell you what to do mate, but if I were you I'd go with Win 7 x64. From my own experience, it's a better OS than Win 8.x. Just my 2¢.

Now, I have voted for "Windows Vista and up x64". And yes, I too think the x32 version could also be kept for compatibility reasons.

HTH :)
Last edited by Guest on Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thexfile

Post by thexfile »

Time to let go of XP.
fusk

Post by fusk »

I've also been running windows 7 x64 since 2009 with very few problems. Can only recommend.
Tomaso

Post by Tomaso »

Actually, I'd recommend 'Windows 8.1 Pro, 64-bit'.

Sure, no doubt about it; right out of the box Win8.1 sucks!
..and if you don't have the patience to tweak a lot of settings (mostly involves disabling a lot of useless crap and spy features), you might easely come to the conclusion that it's not even worth trying.
But if you decide to actually give it a chance, you'll find that Win8.1 outperforms Win7 in almost every way!

Anyway, if you choose to go with Win8.1Pro, the first thing you should do is to install 'Classic Shell' 'Open-Shell Menu' (free, open source):
classicshell.net
https://github.com/Open-Shell/Open-Shell-Menu/releases/
After installing this excellent tool, things will start looking a whole lot better right away! :)
Also, you can grab my Win8.1Pro tweak notes here (will probably save you a lot of time and frustration) (Last updated on Mar.04.2023):
https://www.mediafire.com/file/w9uiqitk ... %2529.zip/
PS:
I don't recommend for people to disable anything, unless they have a certain degree of understanding about what the consequences might be.
Some of the stuff that power users find really annoying are there to protect the "average" users from messing up their systems!
Last edited by Tomaso on Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Muzak

Post by Muzak »

Personally I would encourage the continued support of 32bit for now.  There's still enough of us out here that have to deal with legacy software that won't run in the 64bit environment to count.  XP vs Win7 32 bit isn't as big an issue because most 32bit software that runs on XP will run on Win7 32 bit.

Personally, I still run XP for my torrent box, simply because I'm too cheap to drop $180US for a win7 upgrade, other financial obligations trump that pricetag right now.  I know I could use linux but I don't have time to re-learn that O/S.  If qBit stops supporting XP I'll decide at that point if I change clients or move to Win7 32 bit.  If 32bit is dropped completely I'll probably decide to I have to change clients.

(Just a reminder to those posting, we were asked not to turn this into a "which windows is better" thread.)
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

but I don't have time to re-learn that O/S
Try Mint 15 or 16 with LXDE or XFCE, It will only take a couple of hours to get into it :)
junpet

Post by junpet »

I think you shouldn't drop 32bit. There are people who use old machines (like me). My CPU supports 64bit, but I have only 2GB RAM, so there is no use 64bit.
Papanikles

Post by Papanikles »

XP still is 2º OS most used on the world and almost all apps use 32 bits. So, isn't a good a idea let support now. Maybe a couple years later.

Info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_shar ... ng_systems
Last edited by Papanikles on Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mike20021969

Post by mike20021969 »

[quote="Papanikles"]
XP still is 2º OS most used on the world and almost all apps use 32 bits. So, isn't a good a idea let support now. Maybe a couple years later.

Info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_shar ... ng_systems
[/quote]

+1.