Cannot skip hash check when renaming folder?

Windows specific questions, problems.
ThyTorrenter

Cannot skip hash check when renaming folder?

Post by ThyTorrenter »

Trying to import my utorrent files. I open the torrent file, rename the auto-suggested folder name within qBittorrent to match my actual folder's name, and properly point the torrent destination to the parent directory. Both "Start torrent" and "Skip hash check" options are selected. The torrent will start but will always perform a full hash check beforehand (which completes ok at 100%). This does not happen if the folder is not renamed and torrent starts as expected without the hash check.
Last edited by ThyTorrenter on Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ciaobaby

Re: Cannot skip hash check when renaming folder?

Post by ciaobaby »

If ANYTHING is different between the meta info and the payload, such as a renamed folder, ALL bitTorrent clients HAVE to recheck against the metadata hashsums for each piece. to ensure the payload IS intact and not corrupted in any way shape or form.
That is something that is not going to stop happening regardless of the check box.
ThyTorrenter

Post by ThyTorrenter »

Thanks for the info ciaobaby. However, this is possible with utorrent. Here's what I think happens with qBittorrent:

1. With some torrents (containing just a single-file torrents?) the hash can easily be skipped. No top folder creation is required.
2. With most torrents, QB requires/enforces the creation of a top folder. If that folder is renamed, then the hash cannot be skipped. (seems related to this, mostly #588)

If this is a more BitTorrent protocol-compliant way of doing it then it's unobjectionable. Still, it'd be a user-friendly feature/bypass to have.
Last edited by ThyTorrenter on Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

However, this is possible with utorrent
There is a LOT of bad behaviour in uTorrent  that should NOT be emulated by, nor desired in other clients.
Still, it'd be a user-friendly feature/bypass to have
Only from the narrow point of view of YOUR system. Bypassing such 'safety checks' could have  consequences for the wider view of 'the swarm'.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

I suppose you can skip hash check when renaming. But qbt code doesn't account for that possibility yet.