per torrent limiting doesn't work

Windows specific questions, problems.
zava

per torrent limiting doesn't work

Post by zava »

Win 7 x64, Qbit 3.1.11 : per torrent limiting is not respected, only the global limiting.

For ex., when setting 4 connections  per torrent, it happens to get 200 per torrent (and almost all active, with huge bandwidth consumption) . Global limiting is obeyed though. This happens when dling one or multiple torrents.

EDIT : I'm referring, of course, to the number of connections, not speed limiting.
Last edited by zava on Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ciaobaby

Re: per torrent limiting doesn't work

Post by ciaobaby »

Are these downloading  or uploading tasks?
zava

Post by zava »

Both.
loki

Post by loki »

Connections per torrent or upload slots per torrent? I hope you were just giving an example by saying 4 connections per torrent, but if actually set this is way too low to get anything done per torrent.
zava

Post by zava »

My friend, utorrent works perfectly with 3-4 connections per torrent and 1 upload slot per torrent, obeys nicely these limits and so helps my cheap router to survive longer (I have LOTS of torrents with huge bandwidth, I live in RO).
Funny is that once I had 200 connections while dling something heavily seeded and I had to limit my speed in order to not exceed 100 mbs :)
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

[quote="loki"]
Connections per torrent or upload slots per torrent? I hope you were just giving an example by saying 4 connections per torrent, but if actually set this is way too low to get anything done per torrent. [/quote]

Why??

You don't need to have tens or hundreds of connections per torrent to run efficiently, In fact, having more connections per torrent than is actually needed is generally inefficient in the long run, because you could end up in a scenario where one job is 'eating up' all or most of the bandwidth available.
5 - 8 connections per torrent is generally enough, sure, you can be 'greedy' and try to capture as much of the swarm connectivity as possible but you are not doing yourself or the swarm any favours by employing such tactics.
loki

Post by loki »

Well, since you didn't answer my question directly I'll try a different tack. On the connection tab mine is setup this way top to bottom,

Are you saying yours is setup similar to this, except in your example the second number from the top is 4 but is still getting 200 peers/seeds?
I'm still not sure if you're confusing connections and upload slots.
zava

Post by zava »

KInda funny, the problem took a strange turn.
When I set number of connections per torrent to 10 OR MORE, THIS limit was obeyed. Any number below this and the rule is ignored, to the point where there were 200 connections per one torrent (very popular torrent).

@loki : I'm speaking of the number of conenctions per torrent, NOT the number of upload slots (that setting works ok). One can never confuse these 2 settings, after years of torrenting, right ? :)

Anyway, Qbit still remains superior to utorrent, though buggy like hell, at least regarding disk cache management. With utorrent +plus lots of torrents one can have 16 GB of RAM and it's not enough, even at low throughput, while Qbit works fine with 6-8 GB of RAM. Nice work :)
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

even at low throughput, while Qbit works fine with 6-8 GB of RAM. Nice work
It is nothing to do with the client directly, never has been. qBT does not have a 'memory' problem because it doesn't use the Windows caching which is the real cause of the cache (memory) runaway.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

For caching using too much ram: Go to advanced settings and disable os cache.
As for the connections per torrent: report it to libtorrent-rasterbar. (o someone else if you can confirm)
zava

Post by zava »

"For caching using too much ram: Go to advanced settings and disable os cache."

Not necessary for me. I have 200+ torrents with 60-70 mbs link throughput, a not-so-new CPU  with 9 GB of RAM and with OS cache enabled the RAM peak is around 6 GB, only 1-2 GB more than with OS cache disabled. So no big deal.
But with utorrent was really weird. They wee allowing users to disable OS cache as well, still 90% RAM ended up being  used.
loki

Post by loki »

That is interesting, maybe there was a built in lowest connection limit, if set lower than that it just ignores?
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

It is not the client that will make a difference to cache use but the total number of file names in the payload that are 'active' at any one time.
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

"having more connections per torrent than is actually needed is generally inefficient"

The amount needed is relative!
A seeding torrent can run ok with a max connections limit of only 10. But that's almost silly for a downloading torrent.

A peer might be connected to 10 peers and 40 seeds.
So sharing 4 upload slots between 10 peers may be decent.
But once becoming a seed with 50 connected peers...it will give most of them nothing.
What was a decent peer is now an awful seed.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

[quote="Switeck"]
"having more connections per torrent than is actually needed is generally inefficient"

The amount needed is relative!
A seeding torrent can run ok with a max connections limit of only 10. But that's almost silly for a downloading torrent.

A peer might be connected to 10 peers and 40 seeds.
So sharing 4 upload slots between 10 peers may be decent.
But once becoming a seed with 50 connected peers...it will give most of them nothing.
What was a decent peer is now an awful seed.
[/quote]

I think this will solve the problem you're describing: https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorrent/issues/2193