Impossibility to install a new Search Engine the 2nd

Windows specific questions, problems.
not_sure

Impossibility to install a new Search Engine the 2nd

Post by not_sure »

hi

first i want to say that the title of this post doesn't mean any disrespect to the user dropper. i just found it a little bit humerus to post a new topic concerning the same problem -although in a different way- like this.

now my problem is i downloaded and unzipped a 2.7.3 zip archive of qbittorrent and began trying to add any search engine plugin from those posted at the plugins site page. when non of the plugins i downloaded wasn't accepted giving the notorious message "plugin could not be installed" every time with every plugin python file, i tried to use the search pane without checking or installing any search engines.

and when i had a message informing me that i need to install python 2.x, i visited python site and downloaded the latest python installer. after installing python, the preinstalled search engines appeared but non of my attempts to add a new search engine plugin was successful. i tried installing/uninstalling different versions of python -3.2->2.7.1->2.6.6->2.5.4- but non worked. then i tried unzipping/installing different versions of qbittorrent -2.7.3->2.7.2->2.7.0->2.6.9- also didn't work, although for every version i deleted the qbittorrent settings folder in "C:Documents and SettingsAdministratorApplication Data" and "C:Documents and SettingsAdministratorLocal SettingsApplication Data".

now i hope any one could offer any help to solve this problem.

i'm using winxp professional x64 sp2, and i hope that this isn't the problem.

thanx
dropper

Re: Impossibility to install a new Search Engine the 2nd

Post by dropper »

1.) Install the appropriate version of Python
First, it is necessary to install the appropriate version of Python.The installed version of qBittorrent works properly only with certain versions of Python. To do this, switch into the program qBittorrent on the tab "Search" and then click the button "Search" at the top right. Now the following message appears in the dialog box named "Missing Python Interpreter":
Python 2.x is required to use the search engine but it does not seem to be installed. Do you want to install it now?
Confirm this question by clicking on the button "Yes". It will automatically install the appropriate version of Python.

2.) Installation of a new search engine
First, open the website http://plugins.qbittorrent.org. Now it is important to perform a right-click on the link "Download" in the table in the column "Download Link". Using the context menu to copy the link address to the clipboard. Now go back in the program qBittorrent and then again on the tab "Search". Then click on the button "Search engine..." at the bottom right. In the dialog box "Search plugins" click on the button "Install a new one". In the now emerging dialog box "Plugin source" click on the button "Web link". In the field named "URL:" paste the link address from the clipboard. In this way it is possible to install a new search engine.

3.) Advice
The download of a Python file from the web page http://plugins.qbittorrent.org works not really, because it is impossible to install this local file within qBittorrent. Obviously this is a bug of qBittorrent.
not_sure

Post by not_sure »

hi dropper, thanks for your reply.

it seems that you and i are the only ones who suffer from this problem.

apparently i've tried all of your suggetions before you post your reply, so i don't know what to say.

actually when you click the yes button in the "python 2.x is required....." dialog box, qbittorrent automatically downloads the latest version. i was curious about what version is the 2.x, and i prefered to let the program do it's own business on it's own at first before i interfer. but i checked on one of the temp folders -don't really remember c:temp or c:Documents and...temp- and i found it to be 2.7.1 but i didn't check if it was 32-bit or 64-bit as i have -like most pc owners today- a 64-bit machine.

also i tried to install the .py search engine extensions from their urls. it didn't work also, so i downloaded them all by a downloader program. not to mention that some of the python files listed aren't really there, also most of their urls redirect your browser to a download page other than the file itself, so......

i'm really really curious, if the separate extensions don't work why do the website maintainers waste such bandwidth on something that doesn't work. either they have to check on the posted code -and these are very few files- or they just close the page and that's it.
dropper

Post by dropper »

As described in No. 2 of my original post I've tried installing a search engine to another computer with the operating system WP Home. And it worked again. I used in this case the latest version 2.8.2 of qBittorrent.

Therefore, please read my instructions again in peace and follow it step by step. Then it should be possible even on your computer to install a new search engine.
Last edited by dropper on Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
preachers

Post by preachers »

i found a way to solve this problem, just try it, it works for me.

first, download all those .py files to your disk, then copy all these file to location by default "C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Application Data\qBittorrent\nova\engines"

then click qbittorrent's search engine button-> install a new one-> local file, you can select one of them in the location i've told above to install, although it still says "plugin could not be installed", but they actually be installed.
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Why python? Why i can't add url like http://www.search.org/home.php?=%s 
%s - keyword
save it to config file
open webpage with http://doc.trolltech.com/4.5/qdesktopse ... ml#openUrl
at work done.

What's wrong with Qt? ;-/
shadrov

Post by shadrov »

The qbittorrent ver.2.9.3 is installed successfully and is worked in a Windows 7 x64 bit.
For an option "Search" for qbittorrent ver. 2.9.2 I installed the python ver.2.7, and I made it very hardly only after many tryings.
Now the program of tracking the actuality of installed programs suggests to install the python ver.3.2. But I doubt. I've read the abovementioned commentary. I didn't found the appropriate answer.
First, whether this new version is necessary? Second, whether this new version helps to improve the searching for qbittorrent ver.2.9.3? Third, how can I make update: to delete ver.2.7, and then to install ver.3.2, or it is possible to install the new version separately into the new folder? But then I have the new question: with what version of a python the qbittorrent ver.2.9.3 will interact?
loki

Post by loki »

Doesn't qbittorrent install the python version it wants and where it wants it automatically? Once it sees it's needed that is?