Prevent download of junk files

Windows specific questions, problems.
jackboy

Prevent download of junk files

Post by jackboy »

I was wondering, is there a hidden feature that would prevent qb from downloading junk files? I really don't need nfo, screenshots, two dozen empty text files with the name of the tracker, freaking video trailers for the trackers, screenshots and covers....

Just the video and subtitles

It's wasting my bandwidth.
Last edited by jackboy on Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
ciaobaby

Re: Prevent download of junk files

Post by ciaobaby »

And how is qbittorrent going to know the difference  between "junk files" in a multi-file payload that are 'not required' and "junk files" in a payload that may actually be an essential or necessary part of a payload?

It's wasting my bandwidth
Actually it isn't, bandwidth is a measure of potential speed (data rate) that a connection can reach and is not affected by the volume of data that is transferred through it. Unfortunately ISPs and others  have been deliberately (or ignorantly) confusing their customers by treating 'bandwidth' and 'data transferred' as interchangeable terms.

Additional data, that, in this respect you consider unnecessary, simply extends the total time required to transfer by a minuscule amount (relatively) and increases the volume of data transferred but the 'bandwidth' remains the same throughout.
jackboy

Post by jackboy »

ciaobaby wrote:And how is qbittorrent going to know the difference  between "junk files" in a multi-file payload that are 'not required' and "junk files" in a payload that may actually be an essential or necessary part of a payload?
If it doesn't yet have this feature, I can say how it has been implemented in usenet clients. Custom filter for file types / names. It was just a box I could enter *.nfo, *.jpg, trackername.txt, etc. Anything matching would be skipped.

ciaobaby wrote:
It's wasting my bandwidth
Actually it isn't, bandwidth is a measure of potential speed (data rate) that a connection can reach and is not affected by the volume of data that is transferred through it. Unfortunately ISPs and others  have been deliberately (or ignorantly) confusing their customers by treating 'bandwidth' and 'data transferred' as interchangeable terms.

Additional data, that, in this respect you consider unnecessary, simply extends the total time required to transfer by a minuscule amount (relatively) and increases the volume of data transferred but the 'bandwidth' remains the same throughout.
Potatoes potatoes. You know what was meant. It's wasting my data bucket / allotment / cap.

Sure, the 0 byte text files that just have a tracker name do nothing, but many now carry text, up to 50kb, but the jpgs at.5mb and short little 1mb and up "trailers" really add up, plus they clutter my folders. Really sucks having to delete them all.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

Just uncheck them yourself when adding a torrent and you're done.
jackboy

Post by jackboy »

[quote="Nemo"]
[/quote]That's a lot of work to don for every torrent, constantly. Having it be automated would be much better. If only qb had a plugin feature.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

But it is not something that CAN be automated.

It cannot be applied to all torrents with no regards for what they contain, some torrent have images and text files because THAT is what the payload is comprised of. You are making a broad assumption that ALL qbittorrent users download exactly the same type of payloads that you do and that is very far away from being fact.
jackboy

Post by jackboy »

[quote="ciaobaby"]

It cannot be applied to all torrents with no regards for what they contain, some torrent have images and text files because THAT is what the payload is comprised of. You are making a broad assumption that ALL qbittorrent users download exactly the same type of payloads that you do and that is very far away from being fact.
[/quote]Obviously it can be automated if other software in a similar vein is doing it.

I'm not saying every user has to do this or even wants it.

I understand people may be grabbing imagesets or something where they need the NFO. Downloading movies and tv shows, I don't, so I would just like to have a feature in which I can selectively specify what to skip for download. If I was to ever add something where the payload was something I had set to ignore, I could manually opt in to download it, this would be a much more rare case than any other scenario. If people get to set what extensions or file names to ignore, this would be the case for everyone.
Havokdan

Post by Havokdan »

[quote="ciaobaby"]

[/quote]

Vuze does it. Automatic:

gyrocog

Post by gyrocog »

[quote="Nemo"]
[/quote]
Don't know why, but that never works here. Even on the latest version, I uncheck files i don't want to be downloaded, but when the download finishes, and I look into the folder, all the files are there, like all files were checked for downloading.

Is there an option I need to change for this to work?
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

Vuze does it. Automatic:
There's the answer to your quandary.
jackboy

Post by jackboy »

ciaobaby wrote:
Vuze does it. Automatic:
There's the answer to your quandary.
Why are you so offended by people talking about a feature that qb could implement to make it even greater?
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

He is not offended, just sharing his thoughts. Different people, different opinions :).

You can go to our Github page and open a new issue with [Wishlist] tag infront of it and our developers might look at it. Don't forget to put a detailed explanation into it also.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

I'm am not "offended" by anything, I simply do NOT understand why anyone 'needs' to have a pretty useless 'feature' added to a bittorrent client that IS hailed as a small footprint client. If that 'necessary feature' already exist in a different client, just use that client, Vuze in the case. And I'm fairly you are going to retort that you don't want Vuze because it is 'bloated' and instead [you want to add some 'bloat' and] use qbittorrent.
jackboy

Post by jackboy »

[quote="ciaobaby"]pretty useless 'feature'[/quote]That's just your opinion though.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

It is on Github I see. You can follow it over there now where it gets more attention by our developers.

I personally don't need such a feature also to be honest. I don't neccessary call it "junk" and few MB's extra download isn't a problem. If needed I uncheck them.

Sidenote:
Even if you uncheck them they can still appear in your download folder if the piece is needed to finish your download.
Last edited by Nemo on Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.