Associate torrents and magnet links under admin mode

Windows specific questions, problems.
ciaobaby

Re: Associate torrents and magnet links under admin mode

Post by ciaobaby »

Because I know absolutely nothing about how your system is set up.

Yet you expect me to give detailed advice based upon the minuscule amount of information that has been squeezed out of you bit by bit. Would you expect a full body diagnosis from a doctor whom you had only told him that your foot hurts???

It has taken FOUR DAYS  to find out you are using FireFox. If you expect to get detailed answers provide detailed information in the first instance!
GannTrader

Post by GannTrader »

Ok

What information do you need?
Its difficult to give information, if you dont ask for it, when i dont know what you are looking for or need to know.
You could have asked what browser i was using and i would have told you, so thats not only my fault.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

Let's get this right;

YOU need the help, therefore it is up to you to provide enough information to allow anyone to diagnose the problem quickly, no one at this side of the fence gets paid or wins 'brownie points' for spending several days squeezing every last piece of information out of you.

Taking a guess is less than useful as an answer, whereas you taking a guess on what information may be needed is perfectly feasible.

Magnet link problem? .... must be a browser involved better tell them that, get the drift?
bloodybunny

Post by bloodybunny »

This is a long shot and is something that is happening in windows10.

If qbit is downloading to a second drive not your main, anything other then c:\ then try to take ownership of that drive. If not please ignore.
Here's a link http://www.askvg.com/guide-how-to-take- ... n-windows/

See if it helps.
GannTrader

Post by GannTrader »

If you cant tell me what information you need i cant give you the information you need.
Now this is up to you. If you tell me what information you want i will give it to you.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

GannTrader wrote: If you cant tell me what information you need i cant give you the information you need.
Now this is up to you. If you tell me what information you want i will give it to you.
I have already. AND provided a way you can find the information for yourself
ciaobaby wrote:
associated qbttorrent with torrents and magnetlinks.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/wind ... =windows-7

Magnet links depends on what browser you use.

Google search "set applications" + [browser name]
GannTrader

Post by GannTrader »

As i said before i have already done this and it didnt help, reply 12.
Now what?
Last edited by GannTrader on Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

Your reply was/is vague about what you have done.

No one can see what is happening on your computer, so you need to be specific and provide details, and if you are not capable of fixing this, get somebody who is and allow them to have remote access to your machine, so they can actually see what is happening.

Imagine you are out in space and your life depends upon providing EVERY single tiny little detail of your actions and the results, to the ground crew.
"It's not working" is not a sufficiently detailed report to enable planning the next things to do.
GannTrader

Post by GannTrader »

You say:
"you need to be specific and provide details"
and i have asked you what details/information are you looking for. The color of my desktop?

"if you are not capable of fixing this"
Im capable of doing what you have told me so far but you are a bit vague yourself.

So one more recap
I have activated a administrator account.
I have logged into the administrator account started qbittorrent and associated torrent and magnetlinks with qbittorrent.
I have on both accounts under "Default Programs/associate associat a file type or protokoll with a program" set torrentfiles to be opened by qbittorrent.
I have on both accounts opened firefox and under tools/settings/program set magnet to be opened by qbittorrent.
Logged in on my normal account i rightclick the shortcut to qbittorrent and choose "Run as administrator".
I then go to a torrentpage using Firefox and click a torrent or magnetlink.
Now absolutly nothing happends no downloading in qbittorrent occure.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

I then go to a torrentpage using Firefox and click a torrent or magnetlink.
Now absolutly nothing happends no downloading in qbittorrent occure.
Have you reset the file and/or protocol  associations in the browser?

Instruction can be found HERE
GannTrader

Post by GannTrader »

If you with reset mean removing the mimetype file from profile and redo the association for magnetlinks yes.
Sorry but theres still nothing happends.

I have said it before but you are aware of that when starting qbittorrent as normal all associations works.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

Okay, a few hours of testing various qBT installs and OS loads suggests to me that you are running the 32bit client on 64bit Windows, and the problem appears related to the browser running in a user context and the client running in the context of "The Administrator"

Running the 64 bit client as "The Administrator" has no problems, neither does running both the client and the browser as "The Administrator".
GannTrader

Post by GannTrader »

Ok also running Firefox as administrator were the solution now downloads starts when clicking torrent or magnetlinks.
After all thank you very much for the solution.

Do you know if its gonna be a 64bit client of qbittorrent?
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

You can use these builds from Dayman over here if you want 64Bit, GannTrader:

https://qbforums.shiki.hu/index.php/topic,1645.0.html

Direct link to his download folder:
https://github.com/Gelmir/qBittorrent/releases
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

Do you know if its gonna be a 64bit client of qbittorrent?
32bit client.

Because I can only recreate the problem on 64bit Windows with a 32bit client.

32bit Windows - 32bit Client did not exhibit the symptoms

64bit Windows - 64bit Client did not exhibit the symptoms

64bit Windows - 32bit Client did exhibit the symptoms

This is the other reason I try and get every bit of information out of you guys. .... If I can recreate, or get as close as possible to the conditions where the problem(s) occur I can get nearer to the cause, or maybe nail it right on the nose.

I would suspect that the problem actually lies in Microsoft's "crash resistant" improvements (Vista onwards) of running 32bit applications in the WoW64 subsystem that isolates 32bit applications  from 64bit applications and processes.