Qbittorrent 3.2.3 and audio lag

Windows specific questions, problems.
Switeck

Re: Qbittorrent 3.2.3 and audio lag

Post by Switeck »

ciaobaby wrote:
qBitTorrent has its own disk overload problems:
libtorrent actually, qbittorrent plays no part in disk I/O for payload data.
Yes that's probably the root cause, but it's a little hard to use qBitTorrent without libtorrent!
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

Switeck wrote:
ciaobaby wrote:
qBitTorrent has its own disk overload problems:
libtorrent actually, qbittorrent plays no part in disk I/O for payload data.
Yes that's probably the root cause, but it's a little hard to use qBitTorrent without libtorrent!
Sure; but by the same token, it means that the problem is not going to be fixed by qbittorrent either.
apoklyps3

Post by apoklyps3 »

ciaobaby wrote:
my main purpose is not to mess with hit&run rules of private trackers and mostly 1.0 ration or 24h seeding time will do.
That is not the concern or job of the client to manage, no torrent client 'knows' what your ratio is according to any particular 'tracker'. The ratio displayed in the client for any particular task may have no bearing at all to what the tracker may have 'recorded'. 

The other thing is, if no-one that has a system exhibiting this issue is prepared to donate a small amount of time to testing and therefore getting to the root cause, in all probability it will never be identified never mind 'fixed'.
I think the main problem with this is that no-one developing qbittorrent is willing to test this (on windows 10)and see the cause, because in the in the only they have the knowledge to debug it and fix it (if it is qbittorrent related).
I'm mostly the only one still struggling with it and for what I know and can do i think I have provided enough info about and I can assure you that the issue is real .
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

this is that no-one developing qbittorrent is willing to test this (on windows 10)and see the cause
On the other hand ... ... it may well be that this particular problem cannot be replicated by any of the developers who run v3.2.3 on Windows 10.
droptech

Post by droptech »

I've been having this problem too, and it took me weeks to realize that the fault was with qBittorrent. My computer freezes about every half hour for 0,5 sec, which means both picture and sound. This is a big problem for me since the freeze makes the audio in films go out of sync, and it is also quite irritating when gaming.

I'm using Windows 10 with latest updates, and have a Asus P8Z68-V Pro, Intel i5-2500k OC @ 4.6Ghz stable, Gigabyte GTX 770, and Samsung 840 Pro. All drivers updated to latest version.

The problem appeared after upgrading from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, and I had no problems before upgrading. I've tried formatting Windows and secure erasing the SSD, but the problem started again after using qBittorrent. I've tried some of the suggestions in this tread, and it seems the problem stops when I either pauses all torrents, or lower the global maximum number of connections to 20 (The problem was still appearing when I tried using 200, but seemed to disappear when it was lowered to 20. Lowering max slots pr torrent did nothing).

I'm using qBittorent v3.2.3 with Qt v4.8.7, Libtorrent v1.0.6.0 and Boost v1.55.0. My usual settings are Global maximum number of connections: 1200, Maximum number of connections per torrent: 144, Maximum number of upload slots per torrent: 12, no queuing, and advanced options at default. I've tried enabling queuing, but it didn't make a difference. I have ~1500 torrents, and have a 100/100 Mbit line.

I would be glad to help debugging, so tell me what you need and I will try to help.
apoklyps3

Post by apoklyps3 »

ciaobaby wrote:
this is that no-one developing qbittorrent is willing to test this (on windows 10)and see the cause
On the other hand ... ... it may well be that this particular problem cannot be replicated by any of the developers who run v3.2.3 on Windows 10.
on the other hand most of you are running linux machines and only test in windows 7 virtual machines.
so yeah...no wonder you can't replicate it.
the issue is there, on every single windows 10 x64 system at least. i've exprienced it on 3 deferent PCs so far.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

So all in all, a Windows 10 problem that qbittorrent/libtorrent is the catalyst for rather than being the root cause.
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

[quote="droptech"]I've tried some of the suggestions in this tread, and it seems the problem stops when I either pauses all torrents, or lower the global maximum number of connections to 20 (The problem was still appearing when I tried using 200, but seemed to disappear when it was lowered to 20. Lowering max slots pr torrent did nothing).[/quote]Please try setting the half open connections to 8 and if that doesn't help go lower all the way down to 1. I'm guessing that Windows 10 may have something stupid like Win XP/Vista/7's half-open limiter and lag starts happening when you hit it. Or it may be poor at handling lots of connections at once, (buggy firewall trying to deep packet inspect everything?) thus explaining why the problem seems to vanish when global max connections are reduced to 20.

My guess is you could possibly have global max connections set at 100 and half open connections to 1-8 and not have lag. Probably best to reduce max connections per torrent to a fraction of that 100, (like 10-30) or qBT won't run well. So long as qBT isn't firewalled, you should be quickly getting incoming connections to make up for not attempting 100+ new outgoing ones a minute.
droptech

Post by droptech »

[quote="Switeck"]
[quote="droptech"]I've tried some of the suggestions in this tread, and it seems the problem stops when I either pauses all torrents, or lower the global maximum number of connections to 20 (The problem was still appearing when I tried using 200, but seemed to disappear when it was lowered to 20. Lowering max slots pr torrent did nothing).[/quote]Please try setting the half open connections to 8 and if that doesn't help go lower all the way down to 1. I'm guessing that Windows 10 may have something stupid like Win XP/Vista/7's half-open limiter and lag starts happening when you hit it. Or it may be poor at handling lots of connections at once, (buggy firewall trying to deep packet inspect everything?) thus explaining why the problem seems to vanish when global max connections are reduced to 20.

My guess is you could possibly have global max connections set at 100 and half open connections to 1-8 and not have lag. Probably best to reduce max connections per torrent to a fraction of that 100, (like 10-30) or qBT won't run well. So long as qBT isn't firewalled, you should be quickly getting incoming connections to make up for not attempting 100+ new outgoing ones a minute.
[/quote]Thanks, I believe you're right. I tried updating to the latest Windows 10 build through the Windows Insider program, but when it didn't have any effect i ended up with trying to lower the half open connections from 50 to 10. It seems this has solved the problem, and might also explain why users using Deluge doesn't seem to have a problem since it's default setting is 10 half open connections.

I'm still using all my other usual settings which I posted above, but I might modify some of them while keeping 10 half open connections to test further tomorrow.
Last edited by droptech on Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Herrn Jensen

Post by Herrn Jensen »

I have switched to W10 about 2 months ago.

Running Qbt 3.2.3 ( Qt: 4.8.7, Libtorrent 1.0.6.0, Boost 1.55.0 ).

I have seen no "problems" regarding QBT and WIN10.
Everything runs smooth. Also when playing online shooter games, watching movies, listening to audio or even Youtube.
Even though the motherboard/CPU is from 2009 :-).

I have: Max conn. 511, max pr torrent 31, max upload 255, upload pr torrent 15, half open to 20.
The NIC's is both Marwell Yukon.

I have prev. seen a lot of traffic to and from the Virtual Box net originated from QBT. That is gone with WIN 10, but the Virtual box is also having an issue with net and WIN 10.

Regarding LDAP, could it be caused by you using the default ( much recommended by M$ ) net login to WIN 10. So all "APPS" are checking now and then.
It is possible to make a WIN 10 like WIN 7 and prev, with a local login ( Not recommended by M$ ). The drawback is, if you want to "buy" in their winstore it is a little harder.
But again this is similar to what Google and Apple does. They also have the capabilities to monitor your every move. So if you are using chrome, safari or InternetExplorer someone could watch over your shoulder.
If you really want to avoid any 3'th part to see what you are doing, start with your router. dd-wrt or busybox ( at least open source ) you self install.......
But this is another thread in another forum.

Just my 5 penny.

Keep up the good spirit, QBT is a great program. ;-)
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

Thanks Hernn for your respond. Always good to know if others are facing the same problem using the same OS.
FliessendWasser

Post by FliessendWasser »

I just switched to Win10, and tried to reconstruct the told problem.
Plugging in my external HDD and watching a random movie stored on it while letting qBittorrent (v3.2.3 w/ libTorrent 1.0.6, Boost 1.55, Qt 4.8.7) downloading LibreOffice and its Offline Help at full speed of my available bandwidth, there was nothing concerning Audio-lag for me. Sure, one time VLC Player had to buffer the movie, but that is it.

Some things about the PC Win10 is running on:
It is a nearly 5 year old laptop with 8GB RAM, 2.4GHz Intel i5 2430M CPU, 1TB internal HDD, 1TB external HDD, NVIDIA GT540m.
Additionally I am using an external soundcard, as the internal soundcard has broken plugs.

So all in all I could conclude that it is a specific problem for some users, though I don't want to be too vague about that.

The only thing that annoys me is that Win10 seems to download a lot of data of which I don't know what exactly they are.
Last edited by FliessendWasser on Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

that Win10 seems to download a lot of data of which I don't know what exactly they are...
There is lots of speculation and occasionally some facts about what Windows 10 does in it's 'spare' time and what it downloads (and uploads) at various Windows 10 resources around the Internet.

http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1754264
FliessendWasser

Post by FliessendWasser »

ciaobaby wrote:
that Win10 seems to download a lot of data of which I don't know what exactly they are...
There is lots of speculation and occasionally some facts about what Windows 10 does in it's 'spare' time and what it downloads (and uploads) at various Windows 10 resources around the Internet.

http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1754264
Well, apart from occasional downloads I read about a system used in Win10 similar to BitTorrent on TorrentFreak iirc, which is why I somewhat recall what you've mentioned.

The very first thing I did after the installation finished was going a little deeper in the settings, as I'm both curious and caring about a little (at least!) piece privacy. However, I have NetSpeedMonitor running in the task bar and the Performance Monitor (Networks section) running; so far nothing concerning updates of Win10 was uploaded with or without my knowledge, as I probably deactivated that feature right at the beginning.
Sure might be a good idea, but it definitely isn't the big deal Microsoft has done, especially in a time where only a little part of the world has really fast broadband and others are happy about dial-up-lines.
apoklyps3

Post by apoklyps3 »

[quote="brot0"]
I just switched to Win10, and tried to reconstruct the told problem.
Plugging in my external HDD and watching a random movie stored on it while letting qBittorrent (v3.2.3 w/ libTorrent 1.0.6, Boost 1.55, Qt 4.8.7) downloading LibreOffice and its Offline Help at full speed of my available bandwidth, there was nothing concerning Audio-lag for me. Sure, one time VLC Player had to buffer the movie, but that is it.

Some things about the PC Win10 is running on:
It is a nearly 5 year old laptop with 8GB RAM, 2.4GHz Intel i5 2430M CPU, 1TB internal HDD, 1TB external HDD, NVIDIA GT540m.
Additionally I am using an external soundcard, as the internal soundcard has broken plugs.

So all in all I could conclude that it is a specific problem for some users, though I don't want to be too vague about that.

The only thing that annoys me is that Win10 seems to download a lot of data of which I don't know what exactly they are.
[/quote]

how many active torrents you have in your qbit list?
for me everthing over 10 creates the audio glitch...no matter half-open and what not settings I have tried.