Qbittorrent 3.2.3 and audio lag

Windows specific questions, problems.
Switeck

Re: Qbittorrent 3.2.3 and audio lag

Post by Switeck »

If your HDD is not using NTFS, you shouldn't have the huge file fragments problem I saw.
Otherwise, enable "Pre-allocate disk space for all files" in qBitTorrent under Options, Downloads.

If you have lots of ram to spare, download to a ramdrive (using "Keep incomplete torrents in:" under Options, Downloads) and then have qBitTorrent auto-move completed downloads to your HDD. This should result in low torrent file fragmentation on your HDD...allowing it to seed quicker.

As for what your other qBT settings should be, that can depend on exactly how you're using qBT! (private trackers, seeding very busy and very huge public torrents, lots of tiny torrents, etc?)
davdesj

Post by davdesj »

[quote="Switeck"]
If your HDD is not using NTFS, you shouldn't have the huge file fragments problem I saw.
Otherwise, enable "Pre-allocate disk space for all files" in qBitTorrent under Options, Downloads.

If you have lots of ram to spare, download to a ramdrive (using "Keep incomplete torrents in:" under Options, Downloads) and then have qBitTorrent auto-move completed downloads to your HDD. This should result in low torrent file fragmentation on your HDD...allowing it to seed quicker.

As for what your other qBT settings should be, that can depend on exactly how you're using qBT! (private trackers, seeding very busy and very huge public torrents, lots of tiny torrents, etc?)
[/quote]

Thx for answering.

Well I don't know that my problem is indeed NTFS. I didn't to any test (nor do I know what they would be).

Where I come from is exactly like :
[quote="apoklyps3"]I. myself, an avid torrent user haven't heard about qbittorrent untill few months ago and wold never gave it a go if it wasn't for utorrent's "disk overload" terrible anciend bug that became more pronounced when I upgraded my internet to 1Gbit connection.

ciaoaby Isn't deluge also based on libtorrent?[/quote]

So basically I can't exploit the fiber connection with uTorrent, qBittorrent doesn't lag as much and doesn't tell me that it has disk overload, but I do see it having trouble expecially when downloading on fast trackers, sometime I'll see 45MB down for a little while then it falls quite hard (altough less hard than utorrent I think). I'm not asking for qBit settings for the moment (I do everything, hot new torrents on fast trackers, old torrent retention, busy public torrents), as it seems more of a generic problem.

So IF this is due to NTFS, what kind of partition should I install ? A linux partition just for data with windows drivers to read/write on linux partitions ?
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

As for tests to try, have you used Microsoft's scandisk on your drive/s?
Also have you defragged the drive recently? If it takes a LONG time to run that, no wonder speeds were way below what your line's capable of. After the defrag, the next torrent or 2 should download a little faster. 50 MB/sec maybe?

Were it possible, I'd use Microsoft's exFAT even on a HDD...BUT I don't know if you can do that on the same disk that has Windows OS on it! Supposedly less overheads than FAT32 but won't go crazy with sparse files like NTFS does...which results in horrific file fragmentation.
Pre-allocate disk space for all files has the nasty problem of causing slowdowns while creating the new files. As you can imagine, a 50+ GB torrent might take a bit to create that way!

If even qBitTorrent has overloads around 45 MB/sec download speeds...try giving qBT a download speed limit around 40-50 MB/sec to see if it runs steadily at that speed.

Downloading torrents to 2 or more hard drives at the same time might allow higher download speeds, assuming neither exceeds the ~45 MB/sec speed.

At least when you're only seeding, I'd expect qBT's upload to run over 20 MB/sec.
davdesj

Post by davdesj »

[quote="Switeck"]
As for tests to try, have you used Microsoft's scandisk on your drive/s?
[/quote]
The HDD is almost new, it's a model specifically made for 24/7 usage. Tested with CrystalDisk both for SMART infos and speed.
[quote="Switeck"]
Also have you defragged the drive recently? If it takes a LONG time to run that, no wonder speeds were way below what your line's capable of. After the defrag, the next torrent or 2 should download a little faster. 50 MB/sec maybe?
[/quote]

Which is not a solution, right ? It would at best only make things better for a while then fragmentation would be back.

[quote="Switeck"]
Pre-allocate disk space for all files has the nasty problem of causing slowdowns while creating the new files. As you can imagine, a 50+ GB torrent might take a bit to create that way!
[/quote]
Yes, I know, I'm not completely  clueless. Preallocate would defeat the purpose of jumping on new torrents and be anoying when in a rush to get content.

[quote="Switeck"]
If even qBitTorrent has overloads around 45 MB/sec download speeds...try giving qBT a download speed limit around 40-50 MB/sec to see if it runs steadily at that speed.
[/quote]
I'd like to exploit (to its fullest) my fiber connection if possible. If for example it is not possible on Win I guess that would be the first step to my questionning. (but ok in the meantime I'll set a 30MB down limit, just to see)

I've found this elewhere on the forum, as per ciaobaby :
[quote="ciaobaby"]
If you want better performance, JUST GET RID OF Windows , THAT'S the biggest bottleneck not your drives.

Dual quad core Xeons, Linux Mint 16 or 17 with LXDE if you need a pointy-clicky UI  and qBT 3.1.9.2, ... No problem.
[/quote]

So is there really a point trying to have it all on Windows. If what ciababy says is right, I should build a linux computer and torrent on that, period, and there's pretty much no way around it if I want good performance with a regular HDD.

Well I hope ciaobaby will clarify things for me, but for know I'm hesitant to try demanding task (like convert to extFAT) if they ultimately happen to be hopeless. I think I have enough spare parts (well no dual quad core, but decent processor tough) to build the eventual linux machine, but that's also quite time consuming so I'd really like to know for sure.
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

True, defragging is only a temporary workaround at best.

I mention preallocate in detail in case others are reading this.

Fully exploiting your line might well require building another computer and/or at least running multiple hard drives so no drive is overloaded.

If you have enough parts to slap together another Windows (XP? Vista? 7?) box together, you could try more options on that AND even have a drive with Linux installed on it as well for dual boot options without sacrificing your main computer for that task.

Your problem won't go away if you go to Linux. HDDs have limitations that can't be "papered over", no matter how good Linux's intelligent cache may be. Linux might allow 50-100 MB/sec download speeds, *IF* it can keep other activities on the same drive to a minimum. Windows has a nasty habit of accessing lots of little files on its OS drive while "idle" which kills disk performance, that's why having a second drive for torrents is so helpful.

There are upper limits for qBitTorrent and other BitTorrent clients in general, as my extreme speed tests show:
index.php/topic,3956.0.html
davdesj

Post by davdesj »

[quote="Switeck"]
Your problem won't go away if you go to Linux. HDDs have limitations that can't be "papered over", no matter how good Linux's intelligent cache may be. Linux might allow 50-100 MB/sec download speeds, *IF* it can keep other activities on the same drive to a minimum. Windows has a nasty habit of accessing lots of little files on its OS drive while "idle" which kills disk performance, that's why having a second drive for torrents is so helpful.[/quote]
Ok thx, that's more like what I was interested about.

I'm trying to sum it up, please correct me if I'm wrong.

1) My hdds like other regular hdds can go above 100MB/s in some specific conditions, but dramatically lower if dealing with lots of small files, and that's pretty much the case with bittorrent and its small pieces, especially when dealing with lots of torrents simultaneously.

2) Windows (I'm on win 8.1 cause I kind of need to) uses the hdd distinctly more than linux. So switching to linux could free some hard-disk usage for the torrenting and the difference would be noticeable (in the case where the os and the torrents are on the same disk).

Now I obviously have more than one hdd, and I admit to the mistake of underrating Win disk usage and putting the torrents on the same hdd as Win. I don't want to use both disks for torrenting cause while one is new and tailor made for
24/7 usage, the other is old and of a cheaper make (I'm fine with running my Windows machine on it tough the hdd is fine for now). So i'm going to migrate my Win install to the "old" hdd.

But.. my question is .. what would be the best to improve torrenting / freeing disk availability for the bittorrent client :  keeping the other hdd there solely for torrenting, OR making another computer with it on a light linux distro (on that very same hdd) ?
apoklyps3

Post by apoklyps3 »

lol...thread was hijacked
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

1.HDDs only manage to get high speeds when doing large sequential reads/writes:    http://www.computerforum.com/threads/po ... ts.184125/
Their speed dropped from ~100 MB/sec for sequential to ~1 MB/sec for small files.

2.Torrenting to a drive that neither the Windows OS or Linux OS is on is probably fastest. Whether that's in a Linux or Windows computer is up to you. Linux might be faster, but the difference may be small.

If you can, try a ramdrive to see if even it can briefly max out your download speed before it fills up. I figure you'd need the ramdrive to be at least 2 GB in size to give the seeds/peers time to ramp up to speed. At 100 MB/sec, 2 GB would fill up in 20 seconds.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

You can probably count any [recent] version of Windows out, unless you want to go back to Windows 2k, where there are not so many services and processes competing for network services and time on the one machine, and not so many damned things that could decide it needs a reboot.

The machine that runs most of my torrents is a bare bones install of Centos 6 without a DE, then LXDE or Xfce  'bolted on' for the odd times that I need a "Desktop". That way there is no graphical environment taking up any resources on the machine and I can start and stop it from the command line. (startxfce4 for Xfce or /etc/init.d/lxdm start for LXDE) 

No anti-virus or anti-spy-ware needed, I decide if and when I need to update anything, shut down or restart the machine, so there is nothing else using the network i/f on the machine which is generally the bottleneck

There are a few other points at the bottom of this post
apoklyps3

Post by apoklyps3 »

gonna finaly flag this as a windows 10/ nic drivers for windows 10 issue.
apoklyps3

Post by apoklyps3 »

guys with intel hardware who still struggle with this , try this :
disable intel speed step in bios, disable C-states in bios, set your power plan to high performance.
bolux

Post by bolux »

This bug is not per say caused by qbittorrent. It is only the catalyst. The symptom for me is a 1-2 second sound drop every 30 min when qbittorrent is on.

The cause is the bad windows 10 driver from Creative for the X-Fi series. The reason I believe that is because when I upgraded to win 10 from 8.1 all worked fine. During a driver reinstall of my sound card (the card would simply trigger by itself a driver reinstall every month or so) the bug appeared. This was the first time the issue happened and it was the first the driver got installed under windows 10. The same driver that was flawless under win 8. I updated the driver online, tried different versions, they all suffered the same problem on windows 10. Even a clean install of win 10 or a motherboard change didn't seem to improve anything.

I could reproduce the bug with only one other program: Aida64. It was when "enable disk temperature measurement" was checked. I'm guessing it has something to do with how the disk pooling is happening or something. Not sure if this helps anyone, but I would really want a fix, otherwise I'll be soon buying a new sound card.
rendon1111

Post by rendon1111 »

Old thread but this is probably important to add. ZoneAlarm is what was causing this problem for me... I uninstalled it and system is working like butter again while torrenting. Cpu usage while torrenting with ZoneAlarm was at 100% constant which was cause huge system lag and audio crackling.