Trouble connecting for seeding

Windows specific questions, problems.
feodore

Trouble connecting for seeding

Post by feodore »

Sorry if I should be adding to one of the other threads in this forum. So here's my situation and information that I think might be relevant.

Symptoms: Downloads are fine. Upload speeds are fine as I'm downloading. Seeding typically goes nowhere once downloads are done. It isn't so much the upload speed as the fact that torrents just sit there in inactive state once a download is done.

Program version: 3.2.0
Connection: Via wireless router with the relevant port forwarded
Speed: 10 Mbps up and down and I pretty much get that with every speed test I've tried
Connection Status: Green (bottom strip - have a screenshot showing this too)
Settings:
  1. "Connection" tab:
    Tried turning UPnP both on and off. Not sure it makes a difference since my port is forwarded anyway
    Tried turning 'global max # upload slots' on and off and that didn't make a difference
    Got the other numbers from the Azureus tool
  2. "Bit Torrent" tab:
    Tried turning queing on and off and that didn't make a differenct
I'm attaching screenshots showing both "Connection" and "Bit Torrent" tabs under settings

Thanks
feodore
Attachments
q2.png
q1.png
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Trouble connecting for seeding

Post by Nemo »

Hi and welcome,
Program version: 3.2.0
I would advice to update to the latest version, v3.2.3.

- You sure that there are other peers available to upload to?
- Or your queue settings could be wrong.
Last edited by Nemo on Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
feodore

Post by feodore »

Apologies for the horrid thread necro. I came back to torrents and qBittorrent after a while and still have the same problem. Running 4.1.1 on Win10 now.

I get transfer both ways when torrents are actually downloading but once the download is complete the torrents just sit there with no significant upload happening. Plenty of seeds and peers (numbers inside '()') for the torrents I'm trying to seed but my client just isn't connecting and uploading. To reiterate, I have no problem downloading stuff but have near on 100 complete torrents sitting in my queue refusing to upload and get the ratios up to decent levels.

The relevant port check shows up green on the bottom status bar. Port is forwarded appropriately on my router. Speed tests show me consistent upload and download speeds of around 15 Megabits per second.

I tweaked some settings after reading a few otsher posts but seem to have made it worse. Could anyone help me reset my settings to the default, if nothing else.

Here's are some highlights (sorry attachments aren't going through):

Connection settings:
Global max number: 120
Max #connections per torrent: 40
Global max # upload slots: 12
Max #upload slots per torrent: 6

Rate limits:
Upload: 1343 KiB/s
Download: No limit

Bittorrent settings:
DHT, PeX, Local Peer Discovery all active

Queueing:
Max active downloads: 5
Max active uploads: 7
Max active torrents: 12

Share Ratio Limiting:
Seed until ratio reaches 2.0

Advanced:
Max # half-open connections: 10 (the only advanced setting I've tweaked).

Thanks

ETA: Attachments aren't getting through
Last edited by feodore on Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Madoka

Post by Madoka »

I'm on 4.1.1 as well but on Win 7, and I'm able to upload just fine.

One question, you said that there are many peers in the (xx), but did you check the 'Trackers' tab? I have found that both qB and uT will list peers in the main windows that the tracker says does not exist. Which for me explains why it seems I should be able to upload when there really isn't anyone there.

I currently have one torrent that the main window lists as S: 0 (66), P: 0 (64), but the private tracker lists Seeds 66, Peers 0.
feodore

Post by feodore »

Thanks for the quick note. I didn't think to check the tracker list. I have done so now. I have one seemingly popular torrent that shows 0(1058):0(199) [S:L] in the main window.

In the traker tab, the number of seeders and leechers matches but the status of the tracker says 'Not working' and there's been nothing downloaded. Is that tracker dead? Should I just remove it?
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

Many times a tracker will report a peer that's already become a seed, and likewise peer ips from PEX and DHT are also seeds by the time qBitTorrent checks them.

Peers can have multiple ip addresses (often both IPv4 and IPv6, or their VPN + 'bare' ip without VPN) and get reported as multiple peers, so even a "real" peer can appear as multiple peers.
Madoka

Post by Madoka »

Thank you! I never knew that. Always wondered why the numbers didn't match.