qBittorrent kills my internet connection.

Windows specific questions, problems.
Name12

qBittorrent kills my internet connection.

Post by Name12 »

Hello qBittorrent community. I recently tried making the switch from uT 2.2.1 which I have been using for a long time to your client.

I have to say I really like what your client has to offer. It looks good, it has a lot of features my uT version lacks, it has an actual working RSS downloader. I would really like to keep using it but it has a rather big flaw for me.

As the title says, it kills my internet connection. Completely, not just the client.

Now I am not tech savvy so I have no idea how this can happen. One thing I have read on the forums here is that my router cannot handle the number of maximum connections and I should reduce them. I limited them to 5 global connections for testing, and it still kills my internet connection. I never had any issues like that with uT. Even at 200 global connections.

Can anyone here give me an idea of what is wrong? And again: I am not tech savvy. I do not know anything about how port configuration works, not did I ever had to do something like that on uT.

Thanks in advance!
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Re: qBittorrent kills my internet connection.

Post by Nemo »

Welcome,

- Which version of qBittorrent?
- OS?

Would be nice if you could answer these questions also described here: https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorrent/wiki/Things-we-need-to-know-to-help-you-with-'speed'-issues#qbt-settings-information

If there is any more information that you can give feel free to do so, the more the better.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

I limited them to 5 global connections for testing,
It is the per torrent connections that may be an issue for some routers or network cards.
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

A problem with crappy routers or terrible firewall software is lots of small packets from multiple ip addresses more-or-less at once causes them extreme difficulties.
...Especially UDP packets, which are not as well handled as TCP-based HTTP websites -- such as this forum (although technically it's mostly using HTTPS).
More exotic packet types may also be a problem as well, and qBitTorrent uses a tiny amount of those too in Local Peer/Seed Discovery (LPD/LSD).

What this means is you have to either replace the defective hardware (the routers and/or networking cards) or uninstall the defective firewall software (possibly even in antivirus/antimalware software). Particularly bad is anything that claims to do deep packet inspection or stateful packet inspection. That is the only effective solution.

A possible workaround is to disable quite a few things in qBitTorrent (DHT, LPD/LSD, bandwidth management/uTP, UPnP / NAT-PMP),  and reduce max connections to <100 and max half open connections (in advanced settings) to only  1-5. qBitTorrent will naturally be forced to run in a relatively crippled state, but it can still be effective enough. If that doesn't help, you may have malware/hostile software on your computer that needs to be removed quickly.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

A problem with crappy routers or terrible firewall software is lots of small packets from multiple ip addresses more-or-less at once causes them extreme difficulties.
My system was having  problems with a brand new (still shiny) router, but only with libtorrent versions greater than 1.0.3 and only when downloading.
Name12

Post by Name12 »

@Nemo I am using version 3.2.3 right now
OS is Windows 7.

That list for the speed problems is pretty huge and I do not understand what many of these mean. I will finish making this post right now and hope that it gives you enough information before I try to answer all of that, if you need more information then I guess I will have to google myself through all the questions I do not understand tomorrow.

I have a very new router so it being too old should not be the problem. The router model is "Speedport W 723V typ B".

I tried disabling the firewall and I don't run an anti virus program. Doesn't matter to qBT, it still kills my connection. I do not believe there is any malware on my PC.

I am pretty sure the problem is with my router and not my PC. Then again I do not know anything about how P2P works. But my router slows down immensely shortly before the connection dies, for ~15 seconds everything becomes very slow but still works, and then the connection is completely lost. If I restart my router everything works again until the connection dies again. So downloading stuff is possible but obviously a chore this way.

The more active qBT is the faster it happens. So if I download 10 torrents at once with unlimited connections it will happen after just a few minutes. If I only seed a few torrents at 5 maximum global connections it may take an hour before the connection is lost. But it always is eventually.

Again: I never had any issues like that with uT 2.2.1. I can download 10 torrents at once, have a few hundred connections and have another 50 torrents that are being seeded and my connection is stable. So something about the way qBT works seems to make my router refuse to keep working.

I hope my post makes sense. It is very difficult to talk about these things when you have no understanding of torrents and P2P. Thank you for your help.
FliessendWasser

Post by FliessendWasser »

Supposing that this Speedport router is from T-Com Systems (and thus your ISP probably is Telekom), check for possible firmware updates.

Your ISP definitely does not throttle any traffic, nor they are known for blocking ports (according to the Glasnost test).

If you still experience the same issue after installing the most recent firmware (in case you don't have it installed), then you should contact your ISP and tell them about your problem, in the hope they find a solution.
dezzo

Post by dezzo »

Hi everyone,

I am a new user of qB having moved over from uTorrent.

Unfortunately, it has also been slowing down my Internet connection to the point where no other activity is possible until the torrents are stopped.
I have a powerful router and plenty of bandwidth.  uTorrent stopped causing this issue for me years ago when I got a QoS enabled router, so I'm surprised to be facing it again, especially considering that qB is configured (as best I can tell) with the same settings I have always used in uTorrent.
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

dezzo,

We don't know your settings to even begin to guess whether they may be a contributing factor.

Also, the settings you used on uTorrent as well as confirmed speeds of your internet connection might be helpful.
dezzo

Post by dezzo »

Well, there are a large number of settings.  Without knowing which ones you desire, I will supply the ones most likely to be relevant, but I may miss a few.

- Global Max Connections: 500
- Max Connections Per Torrent: 200
- Global Rate Limit Upload: 190
- Enable Bandwidth Management - yes (tried on/off)
- Apply rate limit to uTP: yes
- Alternative Global Rate Limit Upload: 190
- Torrent Queuing Downloads/Uploads/Torrents - 3

Line Speed: 27/2 and it never wavers.

Those are the same settings that I used on uTorrent for many years.
"Apply Rate Limit to Transport Overhead" is the only related option that was enabled in uTorrent that may be different.
kursum

Post by kursum »

I have the exact same problem. I opened another thread index.php/topic,3889.0.html

It clogs my Internet connection, yet it never reaches the maximum download speed. Browsing is almost impossible, way too slow, and sometimes sites don't eve open.

with uTorrent I get the maximum download speed and the internet connection can be used for browsing, a little bit slower but sites open relatively quick.

I tried limit uTP connection and limit transport overhead, but that doesn't help. and it happens only when i am downloading a torrent, when i am seeding a torrent, the upload speed is max and the browsing speed is not so bad.
qbituser

Post by qbituser »

[quote="dezzo"]
Well, there are a large number of settings.  Without knowing which ones you desire, I will supply the ones most likely to be relevant, but I may miss a few.
- Global Max Connections: 500
- Max Connections Per Torrent: 200
- Global Rate Limit Upload: 190
- Enable Bandwidth Management - yes (tried on/off)
- Apply rate limit to uTP: yes
- Alternative Global Rate Limit Upload: 190
- Torrent Queuing Downloads/Uploads/Torrents - 3
Line Speed: 27/2 and it never wavers.
[/quote]
Try using the default qbittorrent settings and make small adjustments from there. Your router sounds like a basic model but that shouldn't be an issue especially if it was working fine before with utorrent.

Global max connection is abit too high. Try 200-300. Max connections per torrent - 20. No point connecting to so many when you don't have enough bandwidth or slots to upload/download. My connection settings are 256, 12, unticked, 5 for global max, connections per torrent, max upload slots, upload slots per torrent. Much much better to have fewer torrents stream that are larger instead of low bit rate connections.

Your torrent queuing settings don't make sense and could be causing trouble. Only 3 torrents active(too few) at any time means qbittorrent is constantly kicking out downloads/uploads torrents all the time. Try 10, 5, 15 for download, upload, all torrents. And tick do not count slow torrents.
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

[quote="dezzo"]Well, there are a large number of settings.[/quote]Yes, there's a LOT of ways to get the settings wrong too! It's often a combination of crazy settings not matching a connection's capabilities that is to blame, if it's not strictly qBT bugs and/or bad networking equipment/software.

As qbituser said, Global max connection may be a bit too high. 200-300 sounds like plenty.

"- Max Connections Per Torrent: 200"

Half that value is overkill, even for public torrents. I recommend 50 connections or less per torrent. Fewer than 30 might be a problem if you want a single public torrent to give you 10x the download speed than you're uploading to peers on that torrent.

"- Global Rate Limit Upload: 190"
"- Alternative Global Rate Limit Upload: 190"

Unless I'm missing something here, having those both set to the same value seems silly. Is there an alternate download limit set for this to make sense?

The max half-open connection limit (set in advanced settings) is a big lag-causer if set very high -- try reducing that to 5-10. Any higher number really only helps in the first couple minutes after qBT starts. After that, it just affects how often qBT keeps retrying dead ip addresses...making things slower rather than faster! Incoming connections (peers connecting TO your qBT) do not count against this limit.

Resolving peer countries and Resolve peer host names (also in advanced) is a minor issue, as that makes an additional connection (however brief) to determine a peer's location. Quicker to run with that disabled.

"Line Speed: 27/2 and it never wavers."

That cable or fiber? (Only matters in the sense that fiber should be more reliable than cable due to lower/no contention...and is usually better-managed by ISPs.)[quote="kursum"]I tried limit uTP connection and limit transport overhead, but that doesn't help. and it happens only when i am downloading a torrent, when i am seeding a torrent, the upload speed is max and the browsing speed is not so bad.[/quote]Did you set an upload speed max at or below what your line can do so qBitTorrent can stay under that amount?