Help testing new libtorrent 1.1.x code

Windows specific questions, problems.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Help testing new libtorrent 1.1.x code

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

As you may know qbt now ships with libtorrent 1.0.x series.
However, the author of libtorrent(aka arvidn) is going to release soon the 1.1.x series. We recently added basic support for it in our code. We don't use new features, we just made the necessary code changes so our code can compile with the new libtorrent series.

arvidn, is asking if there are any major issues before actually doing the first official release of it.

I have made a build for you to test if you want. Please post any issues that arise from libtorrent and not from qbittorrent(if you can guess).

Build: http://builds.shiki.hu/temp/qbittorrent ... 6c26881.7z

Known issues by me:
1. Ram usage keeps increasing while downloading. But it drops when you pause the torrent.
2. You might experience problems with UDP port binding(see log). Thus no DHT connectivity and no magnets. I am able to solve this by changing back and forth the port from the setttings.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Help testing new libtorrent 1.1.x code

@mods, don't move the topic to the other section. I posted it here for max exposure.
Magoo

Post by Magoo »

Crashing like crazy for me randomly, I torrent seeding.

Win 7 x64
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Crashing like crazy for me randomly, I torrent seeding.
Do you get any crash dialog giving you a bunch of backtraces?
Magoo

Post by Magoo »

Sorry nothing
Magoo

Post by Magoo »

If you need any new build tested let me know, have lotsa free time this month :)
Lestat87

Post by Lestat87 »

[quote="sledgehammer_999"]
2. You might experience problems with UDP port binding(see log). Thus no DHT connectivity and no magnets. I am able to solve this by changing back and forth the port from the setttings.
[/quote]

Could this also be an issue in libtorrent 1.0.x? I had a magnet issue in qbt 3.3.3 where it got indefinitely stuck retrieving metadata (https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorrent/issues/4872). What would I be looking for in the log?
Isabelxxx

Post by Isabelxxx »

Already posted it here:
https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorrent/issues/239

But have more things to add

About the unwanted folders and part files...
3.4.0alpha is using the new libtorrent but still not using the part functionality as it should be...
Still creates Unwanted folder even when a part file is being used at the same time (?).
Maybe you are interested in that, @sledgehammer999 since you asked for testing.
The torrent has finished. There is a part file of 4Mb but also the unwanted folder. So now both methods are being used... only left to stop creating the unwanted folder.

Can also confirm the RAM problems you mentioned (and no DHT problem) but that's another topic.

EDIT: oh, and Part files are not being deleted along the torrent files after deleting torrent+files. All the unused part files are left in the main download folder forever.
And now I have one more problem... the RAM increasing without limits leads to crashes when reaching 1.8-1.9 GB

Can not paste the log yet since it crashes too..

Restarting and crashing again. Out of memory pop pups. Totally broken.
Last edited by Isabelxxx on Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isabelxxx

Post by Isabelxxx »

More about the restart crashes.
Now I see, restarting gives out of memory problem. It tries to Recheck a 1.9GB torrent and qbit is loading the entire torrent in RAM! So crash being a 32 bit exe.

All this in windows 7 64 bit. Have not had this problem before... but it's a serious one since it totally breaks big torrents or multiple downloads when the total size is bigger than 1.8Gbs.

I use the exe found in that topic.
This needs to be addressed before any public release, period. Even a 64 bit exe would give out of memory problems at some point if the program behaves that way.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Just so you know, we are NOT ready to actually switch to 1.1.x. That's why there is this kind of builds. Just to test the waters.
Could this also be an issue in libtorrent 1.0.x? I had a magnet issue in qbt 3.3.3 where it got indefinitely stuck retrieving metadata (https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorrent/issues/4872). What would I be looking for in the log?
It most probably is the exact same issue. You can follow it here(libtorrent bug tracker): https://github.com/arvidn/libtorrent/issues/454
Isabelxxx

Post by Isabelxxx »

It most probably is the exact same issue. You can follow it here(libtorrent bug tracker): https://github.com/arvidn/libtorrent/issues/454
?
The problems I have described are related to memory addressing over 1.8 Gbs nothing to do with magnets. Not sure what you mean with that.

Your build at least is loading in Ram entire torrents and crashing every time it reaches the limit for 32 bits executables. Reproducible as I suggested in the thread I linked before.

Also the unused part files need to be deleted client side
https://github.com/arvidn/libtorrent/pull/508

PD: I have not had any problem at all with magnets or UPD... not saying there is none, bur I got it right since the start.
Only bugs I have found are those:
*memory leak related to torrent size
*part file still not being used as intended (no more unwanted folders or extra files downloaded)
*part file not being deleted when deleting the torrent (its unused and left after removing torrent from client)

Not mentioning the delete+files option since arvidn said that has to be done within libtorrent.
Last edited by Isabelxxx on Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

Your build at least is loading in Ram entire torrents and crashing every time it reaches the limit for 32 bits executables
"Entire torrents" are NOT loaded RAM, the cache is ONLY used for the 16KiBblocks that are currently in use.

The most likely problem here is that you have the cache setting FAR higher than necessary and Windows is  doing it's usual crappy "just in case" caching.

Turn OS caching Off, and do NOT set a fixed cache size above 786 MiB EVER
Isabelxxx

Post by Isabelxxx »

I'm reporting what occurs with the new build not previous versions; and for sure the memory usage is proportional to the downloaded torrents or being rechecked.

It's up to you to check there are memory leaks there... but I can assure that has nothing to with my settings. Not sure why you replied that when sledghammer was the first to say there were memory problems in the build. I'm just confirming it and explaining more cases.

I mean.. I don't get why asking users to test an experimental build and then denying the bugs found lol

Check the entire topic! Most things have been already discussed in github, checks the links posted.
Last edited by Isabelxxx on Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isabelxxx

Post by Isabelxxx »

https://github.com/arvidn/libtorrent/issues/456

Have used multiple options; any of them works flawlessly with stable builds. The new build (at top) uses memory proportional to torrents size no matter what you do. My normal memory usage is below 100 Mbs with 3.3.3 in the same conditions.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

It's up to you to check there are memory leaks there... but I can assure that has nothing to with my settings.
No matter what the version or build is, if it is hitting the 2GB memory limit you have the cache set to high. That is not a 'memory leak' in qbittorrent it is a known fact with Windows operating systems