VPN Recommendations?

Windows specific questions, problems.
mcb091687

VPN Recommendations?

Post by mcb091687 »

I need to install a VPN by tomorrow...which is the best to use with qBittorrent?
mcb091687

VPN Recommendations?

Post by mcb091687 »

Hi...would you kindly recommend the best VPN to use with qBittorrent?
ciaobaby

Re: VPN Recommendations?

Post by ciaobaby »

'best' is subjective so you are the only on that can decide that.

There are a couple of threads discussing the pros and cons of various VPN suppliers, run a forum search for "VPN" and you will find them.
mcb091687

Post by mcb091687 »

I did but could not find anything helpful, such as a uide for choosing one that works well with Q.

Any suggestions, ciao??
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

Never used one so, no, anything I do suggest will be anecdotal at best or a guess at worst.
mcb091687

Post by mcb091687 »

How many warnings have you received from your ISP thus far??
FliessendWasser

Post by FliessendWasser »

mcb091687 wrote: How many warnings have you received from your ISP thus far??
None, as we (in my case) haven't got any strike-system in Germany, but greedy lawyers in the desperate need of fast cash.

Any VPN should do well with qB and other programs that need access to the internet, if the specific traffic isn't blocked.
What I recommend you is not to fall for a free VPN. There are a few out there, asking for some donations and nothing more - costumers become the product in that case. IPs, private data and whatnot are being sold.

Most times, there is the saying
paid>free
(not really applicable for qBittorrent and other Bittorrent clients)
But in the case of a VPN, privacy comes along with a price indeed.

I do recommend TorrentFreak's article about VPNs, to compare the prices, the privacy ect. (though one of their sponsors is Private Internet Access... possible manipulation conspiracy incoming!).

Finally it is up to you which VPN provider to chose. :)

In the hope I somewhat enlightened you and answered some of your questions...
Last edited by FliessendWasser on Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KitKat

Post by KitKat »

[quote="purpleparrot"]
It was funded by the USA to help protect the Chinese from their government.
[/quote]
Out of china's spynet into USAs spynet?
In use scenarios where one party can view ALL outgoing traffic a VPN wont do shit for you.
Lookup tor papers in regards to global adversaries, thats what applies in the "chinese government" example.
Even more you have no real way to validate that the SSL certificates supplied by the VPN service you're downloading insecurely (cant be secure initially) are legitimate and honestly they're probably NOT, and due to this failure its possible for an attacker to "lie" to the user and say they're connected to <secure VPN in america> when in reality they're connected to "China Transparant Proxy #4"

Assuming you dont have a global adversary to "hide" from then all you really need is a VPN/VPS that doesnt sell its users data (aka paid)
Last edited by KitKat on Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

[quote="mcb091687"]
[/quote]

I recommend Private Internet Access.
- Cheap
- Very fast
- Tons of locations
- SOCKS5 proxy support

But, AirVPN is also good.
It gives you an ACTIVE (!) open port through VPN.
That means you can seed back stuff easily, unlike with other services.
saltyseadog

Post by saltyseadog »

[quote="Peter"]
[quote="mcb091687"]
[/quote]

I recommend Private Internet Access.
- Cheap
- Very fast
- Tons of locations
- SOCKS5 proxy support

But, AirVPN is also good.
It gives you an ACTIVE (!) open port through VPN.
That means you can seed back stuff easily, unlike with other services.
[/quote]

I have been using AirVPN with qBittorrent for around 2yrs now and never had a problem. AirVPN is not free but it is very cheap @ 15euros for three months, you can also take a three day trial for 1Euro. it also has a well supported forum https://airvpn.org/ with walkthroughs for installation on Windows or through a router and there is even one for qBittorrent users. AirVPN is consistently voted in the top 5 VPN lists and I myself can highly recommend it. There are servers available worldwide but I found that even though I am in the UK the German servers gave me the best download speeds.
karla

Post by karla »

I can suggest you using bvpn, i mainly used it for Utorrent https://www.vpnfaqs.com/2014/12/open-utorrent-port/ , Just one click to download it within secure tunnel, stable connection, high speed and it is reasonably priced. Really I am very satisfied.
moonchop

Post by moonchop »

Personally I am using NordVPN for a few months for torrenting and the speeds are pretty good. Easy to use too, even though they don't have a native Linux app, but it isn't a hassle to setup. I've used this deal https://nordvpn.com/bestoffer, I think 2,75$/mo is a bargain.
turtlmac

Post by turtlmac »

[quote="moonchop"]
Personally I am using NordVPN for a few months for torrenting and the speeds are pretty good. Easy to use too, even though they don't have a native Linux app, but it isn't a hassle to setup. I've used this deal https://nordvpn.com/bestoffer, I think 2,75$/mo is a bargain.
[/quote]

Does NordVPN work on Qbittorrent 4.x ?
I've used it for years without problems.
but It Does NOT work on Qbittorrent 4.x as SOCK5.
Can you share settings ?