"Slow" speeds in LAN

Windows specific questions, problems.
FliessendWasser

"Slow" speeds in LAN

Post by FliessendWasser »

Recently, I transferred some files to my laptop from my desktop over the Local Area Network. My desktop has a LAN-line (100mbit/s) directly to the router, my laptop has the best connectivity to the WiFi (72mbit/s - 802.11n)

To get to the point, I tried different BitTorrent-clients (µTorrent, Deluge and qBittorrent) to test the speeds for transferring the same file over and over again, and qB was the slowest by far.

µTorrent to µTorrent = about 4MiB/s
µTorrent to Deluge = about 4MiB/s (and the other way around too)
qBittorrent to µTorrent/Deluge/qBittorrent* = Peaks to 1.6MiB/s, usually about 600KiB/s (same the other way around) -> 3.4.0alpha gave me peaks to 1.8MiB/s

*qBittorrent to qBittorrent resulted in frequent disconnects.

All tests were done with the best circumstances (laptop and PC were the only devices in the network, no inbound/outbound traffic).

Laptop OS: Win7 SP1 Home Premium 64bit
Desktop OS: Win10 Home 64bit

Code: Select all

qBittorrent: 3.3.4 / 3.4.0alpha
libtorrent: 1.0.8
Qt: 5.6.0
Boost: 1.60.0

µTorrent versions: 2.2.1; 3.4.6

Deluge: 1.3.12 
Python: 2.7
libtorrent: 1.0.9

I'd be glad to be enlightened why this is occuring, and why qBittorrent behaves like this. Thank you in advance :)

If you need aadditional information, I will provide them asap.

// EDIT: I could have put this elsewhere... Mods, do not hesitate to move this thread if it is in the wrong sub-forum.
Last edited by FliessendWasser on Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ciaobaby

Re: "Slow" speeds in LAN

Post by ciaobaby »

Not  nearly enough information to even offer a guess as to why.

Need ALL the settings from ALL the various clients and ALL the various conditions of the tests, payload sizes, file counts in payloads etc. etc. absolutely everything about the tests.

Remember all that 'stuff' and information you had to provide in science classes when you wrote up a report for an experiment that you and your "Lab partner" had been doing?

Yes?

Well that's the kind of information needed to draw any conclusions from your testing.
FliessendWasser

Okejjjj Ciaobaby, alright.
I'll post the settings of qBittorrent later, as they also apply for all the other clients.

I'm going to edit this post in some hours again, as I am quite busy now (other than writing this reply).

// On the other hand, Ciaobaby, a simple reply with "We need more information about ... " would have saved you much more time than expanding the reply to an example we all once had. But thanks for pointing out that I will have to collect more information. At least something about that reply which isn't about babbling. ;)
Last edited by FliessendWasser on Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

a simple reply with "We need more information about ... "
The problem there is. ... .... Just like it is in Science we don't always know what it is we need to know and without all of the details we can't even tell if your 'testing' was valid or not.
KitKat

Post by KitKat »

Can't Replicate, i'd assume wifi and packetloss to be the culprit however..
Qbittorent to Qbittorent over a vrouter i got 10.8MB/s peaked.
Qbittorent to Qbittorent over a wired LAN i also recieved an 11.4mb/s cap.
This is transferring a 4GB iso /w 8mb pieces.

/e
I can however state that it was a fairly "slow" climb to that peak speed, took qbittorent about 30seconds to "pick up"
This been using a completely local torrent with 0 external seeds only using local peer discovery.

/e2: A possible suggestion would be disc useage/overload causing the slow transfer cap?
I believe qbittorent "sanity checks" pieces alot more frequently than utorrent/qbittorent.
If you're using a small piece size in a single seed/peer case it can lead to a slower transfer rate.
Last edited by KitKat on Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
FliessendWasser

[quote="KitKat"]
/e2: A possible suggestion would be disc useage/overload causing the slow transfer cap?
I believe qbittorent "sanity checks" pieces alot more frequently than utorrent/qbittorent.
If you're using a small piece size in a single seed/peer case it can lead to a slower transfer rate.
[/quote]

So far, I was convinced that libtorrent takes over that part, which is why I was wondering since Deluge (which uses libtorrent, too) does reach way higher speeds on LAN.

For this test, I am using an archive of the size 562MB. The torrent, created with Deluge, has a piece size of 1MiB, thus has 563 pieces.

What I analysed: Speeds, HDD usage and special things that may have happened, plus possible additional information (if I could get some)

Router model is a Fritz!Box 7330, using channel 4 at 2.4GHz (thus no influence by other WiFis in my neighbourhood), 802.11n @ 72MBit/s on the laptop.

// This reply will get edited, as soon as I get more results, or I forgot some infos.

How all clients are set up (yes, all of them):
  • no speed limits
  • used ports are all forwarded, and only used once per try
  • Global maximum number of connections: 200
  • Maximum number of connections per torrent: 30
  • Global Maximum number of upload slots: 8
  • Maximum number of upload slots per torrent: 2

Deluge 1.3.12 to x

Deluge 1.3.12 to qBittorrent 3.3.4 / 3.4.0alpha: Speeds around 1-1.3MiB/s; Read Cache Hits: 95,39 // HDD usage peaks around 2MB/s to 1 MB/s to 0MB/s, and repeating.
Deluge 1.3.12 to µTorrent 2.2.1: Speeds around 2-2.5MB/s, sometimes going down to 1.5MB/s, but not lower. // HDD usage peaks constantly around 2-3MB/s.
Deluge 1.3.12 to µTorrent 3.4.6: Speeds around 3-3.5MB/s // HDD usage peaks around between 0MB/s to 7MB/s
Deluge 1.3.12 to Deluge 1.3.12: Speeds around 3-3.8MiB/s // HDD usage peaks around between 0MB/s to 7MB/s

What I mean with "peaks": https://i.imgur.com/4MOlVmd.png

qBittorrent 3.3.4 / 3.4.0alpha to x

qBittorrent 3.3.4 / 3.4.0alpha to qBittorrent 3.3.4 / 3.4.0alpha: Speeds around 780KiB/s-1.3MiB/s; Read Cache Hits: 50,00  // HDD usage peaks around 2MB/s to 1 MB/s to 0MB/s, and repeating.
qBittorrent 3.3.4 / 3.4.0alpha to µTorrent 2.2.1: Speeds around 1.4-1.6MB/s, sometimes going down to 1.5MB/s, but not lower. // HDD usage peaks constantly around 2-3MB/s.
qBittorrent 3.3.4 / 3.4.0alpha to µTorrent 3.4.6: Speeds around 2.7-3.4MB/s // HDD usage peaks around between 0MB/s to 7MB/s
qBittorrent 3.3.4 / 3.4.0alpha to Deluge 1.3.12: Speeds around 780-1.3MiB/s // HDD usage peaks around between 0MB/s to 2MB/s

Note: When stopping the transfer either of the leeching client (Laptop) or the seeding client (Desktop), it takes way more time to reconnect and restart the transfer than with Deluge.

µTorrent 3.4.6 to x

µTorrent 3.4.6 to qBittorrent 3.3.4 / 3.4.0alpha: Speeds around 250KiB/s-550KiB/s; Read Cache Hits: 83,07 // HDD usage around 1MB/s
µTorrent 3.4.6 to µTorrent 2.2.1: Speeds around 3.5-3.8MB/s // HDD usage peaks constantly around 2-3MB/s.
µTorrent 3.4.6 to µTorrent 3.4.6: Speeds around 2.7-3.4MB/s // HDD usage peaks around between 0MB/s to 7MB/s
µTorrent 3.4.6 to Deluge 1.3.12: Speeds around 2.9-3.4MiB/s // HDD usage peaks around between 0MB/s to 2MB/s

µTorrent 2.2.1 to x
(This one is really weird.)

µTorrent 2.2.1 to qBittorrent 3.3.4 / 3.4.0alpha: Speeds around 450KiB/s-850KiB/s; Read Cache Hits: 75,00 // HDD usage around 1MB/s
µTorrent 2.2.1 µTorrent 2.2.1: Speeds around 3.4-3.5MB/s // HDD usage peaks constantly around 2-3MB/s.
µTorrent 2.2.1 to µTorrent 3.4.6: Speeds around 3.3-3.7MB/s, connection drops when reaching this peak. // HDD usage peaks around between 0MB/s to 7MB/s
µTorrent 2.2.1 to Deluge 1.3.12: Speeds around 650KiB/s-900KiB/s  // HDD usage peaks around between 0MB/s to 2MB/s

Instead of Desktop > Laptop, I did the same the other way around, with the same results.

TL;DR:
x to qBittorrent is slow, the most times.
Last edited by FliessendWasser on Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KitKat

Post by KitKat »

Try disabling Enable OS cache in Tools > Options > Advanced under the libtorrent section.
Thats ALOT of cache reads for a 563piece file and windows is very bad at maintaining a "healthy" cache..

Only diff in qbittorent and deluge in regards to libtorrent is the build version, qbt uses an arbitrary "working" build of libtorrent 1.0.8 and deluge builds with 1.0.9 last i looked.

/e:
[quote="KitKat"]
[/quote]
Wtf did i type there..
I meant to say utorrent/tixati/transmission and got distracted midthought >_<
Last edited by KitKat on Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FliessendWasser

[quote="KitKat"]
Only diff in qbittorent and deluge in regards to libtorrent is the build version, qbt uses an arbitrary "working" build of libtorrent 1.0.8 and deluge builds with 1.0.9 last i looked.
[/quote]

afaik the most recent version (which came out in September 2015) came with libtorrent 1.0.7, and since they rarely update it, there was no other possiblity than replacing "libtorrent.pyd" from the files of the windows installer of libtorrent (which is what I did). One will need the version built with python 2.7 in order to get this working, which is not the version you'll get in the normal circumstances.

On a sidenote, I disabled OS cache, which resulted in more speed issues, looking a little more unstable.
On another sidenote, I reckon it was the same with Linux Mint 17.2, as I used to use it on my laptop for quite some time. qBittorrent was at v3.3.0 at that time iirc. Yet, the same results as mentioned in the 'big post'.
Last edited by FliessendWasser on Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FliessendWasser

I guess every single of my "analysis" were unnecessary.
People at Reddits /r/torrents sometimes complain about qBittorrent's slower speeds (both upload and download), and search for alternatives, albeit this speed problem is the only problem as it seems.

As a summary, it does not seem to be the libtorrent version. Please note that I also tried libtorrent 1.0.8 for Deluge, and it still resulted in (way) better speeds than qBittorrent had them.
I'm still a little confused of what could trigger that problem, as OS cache does not seem to be the reason either.

/tl;dr: Don't mind this thread, it's yet another speed issue thread people won't be able to resolve anyway.
KitKat

Post by KitKat »

Its good to know regardless, im not getting speed issues personally but it does seem like a global concern :X
FliessendWasser

To add a little more, qB to x seems really unstable without any reason, and results in really slow speeds.
On LAN it really slows down, while other torrent clients are up and awake, and use the speed they have available. Please, there has to be some clue behind this...
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

While not across a LAN, I've done more extreme speed tests for qBitTorrent, Deluge, Tixati, Transmission, and uTorrent:
index.php/topic,3956.0.html

There are speed bottlenecks even when I used ridiculous conditions.

Pingtimes are likely a major factor in max possible speed, especially for uTP which is extremely sensitive to changes in pingtime. (it perceives them as hitting bandwidth limts, and self-throttles somewhat.)
Hardwired LAN has a pingtime of 0-1 ms, but wifi is often >50 ms.