like the big bad wolf qbittorrent blows my internet connection almost down

Windows specific questions, problems.
mherv

like the big bad wolf qbittorrent blows my internet connection almost down

Post by mherv »

hi, i hope my problem is known and that there are tweaks for that.

my configuration is intel core2 e8400 (i know its a bit old, but still good) 8Gb ram, more than 12 TB of disk + 512GB of SSD for the system, the virtual memory is linked to an HDD (5900 rpm with 64 Gb of cache) and windows 10.

my drivers are all up to date, i have tuneup utilities that ensures that all unnecessary programs are not running, plus as many additional tweaks as possible. for instance superfetch is disabled; but i didnt disable the search service, because with win 10 it seems very necessary. cortana is disabled too.

I am running the last stable version of qbittorrent

considering the internet connection i have a high speed connection 464 Mb down 244 Mb up (7ms ping) according to speed test
i use qbittorrent behind a vpn and my connection drops to 64Mb down and almost 60Mb up (38ms ping) (still according to speedtest) this before starting qbittorrent and this speed is still acceptable.

when launched qbittorrent is going rather fast at start, and the speed goes lower and lower (i have no other background jobs). I am seeding many files. After a while i turn out qbit torrent, and my internet connection speed goes down to 4.58 Mb down and 8.58 Mb up. All this with a very big latency. stopping the vpn wont help either.

I must also add that when qbittorrent is runing, the internet speed of all the other computers linked to the same internet connection goes down as well, whatever the provider i use (i have 2 internet connections at home but the second one is adsl - of course much slower ) anyway the same problem happens with another operator so i dont think that the operator reduces my speed on purpose, specially because it cannot find out what i am downloading through an encrypted vpn.

I changed of VPN operator 1 week ago, so the problem doesnt come from the vpn operator either.

If i will wait more than 30 minutes after ending qbittorrent, the speed will go back to normal.

I am probably doing something bad, but i cant figure what.

I added some of my parameters. I they are in french but i guess that you will figure it out.

Thanks in advance for your kind answers. Best regards, Marc
Attachments
p8.jpg
p6.jpg
p5.jpg
Last edited by mherv on Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tekko

Re: like the big bad wolf qbittorrent blows my internet connection almost down

Post by tekko »

try qBittorrent 3.4.0alpha if u want.
From what ppl are reporting, I think 3.3.4 has network problems.
mherv

Post by mherv »

thanks. i am always afraid to try an alpha version. however if it is possible to rollback on it, i will try it
tekko

Post by tekko »

3.3.5 will soon be released anyway. You can wait for that, just to be safe.

https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorr ... -224712112
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

Are you connecting directly to your modem? You should try that.
Most of the times, your router's firewall or firmware is causing the problem. Or simply it's too weak.
Bittorrent comes with many connections, even just launching it throws up the connection count by a few hundred.

So yeah, try it without router and anything in between your modem and PC.
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

Knowing there's an overload "somewhere", might want to try really low number of connections.
So try...

Max global connections of 200.
Max connections per torrent of 30.
Half open connections of 10.
Calidude

Post by Calidude »

Why is your number of connections so high? Nobody needs 1000 connections unless they torrent by the thousands and have a router that can handle that many connections, and your router clearly can't handle it. Lower it to something reasonable like 200, and lower your connections per torrent to 20 or less.
Last edited by Calidude on Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
zabadoh

Post by zabadoh »

Pay attention to the units you're reading your speeds in, in particular the capitalization of the "B"

If you look at your download speed in qB, notice it's in "KiB/s", that's KiloBytes per second (big B means bytes)

Most ISPs give their speeds in "Kbps", or Kilobits per second (little b means bits)

1 Byte == 8 bits

In your case, if I'm guessing correctly, you're seeing download speed of 4.58 _MB_ which multiplied by 8 is 36.64 Mbps, about half of your VPN'ed DL speed of 64 Mbps