Private torrents don't seem to be private

Windows specific questions, problems.
miv

Private torrents don't seem to be private

Post by miv »

Hi all,

Like the title says - I have some torrents that are supposed to be private, with just a single tracker, but I just an hour ago updated to qbittorrent 3.3.4 and they are now listed as having dozens of peers - which isn't right or good.

Actual IP addresses and flags keep appearing as well, in the "peers" box at the bottom of the screen.  They're peers who don't seem to be the peers that would be accessing the files via the private tracker.  Then they disappear.  The number of seeds with the same files has, on the other hand, dropped. 

In short, the program is acting very differently than it was, and if I can't fix it I worry that my access to 50-year-old samurai and ninja movies will be cut off by an angry private tracker with strict rules - about multiple seeding and sharing torrents publically.

I've tried re-installing it.  I've run a virus check....

Is there some setting I need to fix?  Any help is much appreciated. If this is a 'bug' issue, apologies - please let me know and I'll post it in the appropriate place.  (doesn't seem to be, as the version is a few months old......?)

Thanks

MIV
Calidude

Re: Private torrents don't seem to be private

Post by Calidude »

Having a single tracker doesn't make your torrents private. Torrent files need to be flagged private when they are created.. If your torrent doesn't say "this torrent is private" in the trackers window, it's not private.
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

Even a private flagged torrent may not be very private if the only tracker on it is a public tracker and it's listed by a couple indexers.
Calidude

Post by Calidude »

[quote="Switeck"]
Even a private flagged torrent may not be very private if the only tracker on it is a public tracker and it's listed by a couple indexers.
[/quote]
Yes, it is odd how most if not all public trackers don't seem to reject private flagged torrents automatically so they all use DHT.