Qbittorent still downloads items after you unchecked them.

Windows specific questions, problems.
dragons4life

Qbittorent still downloads items after you unchecked them.

Post by dragons4life »

Why is it doing this?

Shouldn't files that you've unchecked not be download it?
tagslc

Re: Qbittorent still downloads items after you unchecked them.

Post by tagslc »

sometimes the torrent is divided into packets that are across different files - if connected to a file u r downloading then the other "unwanted file" must be downloaded to give u the one u do want

hth
dragons4life

Post by dragons4life »

[quote="tagslc"]
sometimes the torrent is divided into packets that are across different files - if connected to a file u r downloading then the other "unwanted file" must be downloaded to give u the one u do want

hth
[/quote]
So what you are telling me is that somehow magically, someone can attach a file to the main file so that you forcibly have to download it?

I somehow doubt that.
tagslc

Post by tagslc »

[quote="dragons4life"]
[quote="tagslc"]

hth
[/quote]
So what you are telling me is that somehow magically, someone can attach a file to the main file so that you forcibly have to download it?

I somehow doubt that.
[/quote]

No, that is not what I am telling you. What I am saying is, that when a torrent is created the file(s) is/are divided into packets of a certain size (what size depends on the settings used to create) and when dividing the file or files by the set size, there are sometimes two packets that have parts of the same file in them. Thus, if you are to be able to receive the file you wish, you must obtain both packets. This causes, per BitTorrent protocol, you to be required to download both files. Please read about how BitTorrent works and you  will understand what I am trying to explain.
I apologize if I am not being clear enough. I am no expert on BitTorrent, but have used it enough & read enough to know more than the average user.

I myself had this very same question and by reading how torrents are created and the protocols/policies/rules of BitTorrent work, I found why this occurs.

HTH
dragons4life

Post by dragons4life »

[quote="tagslc"]
[quote="dragons4life"]
[quote="tagslc"]

hth
[/quote]

I somehow doubt that.
[/quote]

No, that is not what I am telling you. What I am saying is, that when a torrent is created the file(s) is/are divided into packets of a certain size (what size depends on the settings used to create) and when dividing the file or files by the set size, there are sometimes two packets that have parts of the same file in them. Thus, if you are to be able to receive the file you wish, you must obtain both packets. This causes, per BitTorrent protocol, you to be required to download both files. Please read about how BitTorrent works and you  will understand what I am trying to explain.
I apologize if I am not being clear enough. I am no expert on BitTorrent, but have used it enough & read enough to know more than the average user.

I myself had this very same question and by reading how torrents are created and the protocols/policies/rules of BitTorrent work, I found why this occurs.

HTH
[/quote]

I guess I'll blame it on how torrents are created, but I don't remember utorrent doing this.
Also having the main file (video) download it, but than have a bunch of previews or extras that I don't want is annoying, I really can't understand how those extra files are supposed to be need it for the main download, but oh well.

Thanks a lot.
Havokdan

Post by Havokdan »

Utorrent create .dat files in the download folder for these pieces in Vuze you have the option of placing them in a separate folder in qBittorrent also had a similar option, but I think because of the problems encountered her, she deactivated.
Isabelxxx

Post by Isabelxxx »

Libtorrent 1.1 works the way it should be, i.e. no more unwanted files downloaded and instead it uses .part files (equivalent to .dat files in utorrent).

There is no requirement per BitTorrent protocol to download additional files as suggested but additional pieces. It's not the same and it's great to see newer Libtorrent versions address it.

Another thing is that being included in Qbt. It has been more than 4 months since someone asked to test the 1.1 version and still no word about including it in qbt. Seeing the time it takes to release even minor fixes I would not expect to see it soon.
tekko

Post by tekko »

Does 1.1 convert the unwanted files to part files correctly?
or it only applies to newly added torrents?
Last edited by tekko on Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.