Two different recurring I/O errors

Windows specific questions, problems.
Roland Deschain

Two different recurring I/O errors

Post by Roland Deschain »

Hello all.

I randomly get I/O errors that pause torrents. I'll have for example seven torrents going, and it will randomly happen to one or two of them. Windows Server 2012 R2 fully patched x64 datacenter edition, but it's a VM running on a Windows Server 2012 R2 Hyper-V host. Plenty of resources available.

The log indicates it's a mix of these two things:

Code: Select all

(N) 2016-07-04T14:45:40 - An I/O error occurred, 'MediaName.mkv' paused. MediaName file (E:\BitTorrent\Torrents\0115713\MediaName\MediaName.mkv) error: The system cannot find the file specified

Code: Select all

(N) 2016-07-04T14:45:40 - An I/O error occurred, 'MediaName.mkv' paused. MediaName file (E:\BitTorrent\Torrents\0115713\MediaName\MediaName.mkv) error: An unexpected network error occurred
Now, more info about my setup: qBittorrent is on the latest version, 3.3.5, and it's saving to a mapped network drive on the hypervisor. I'm not losing network connectivity or access to the drive, and this does not happen to all torrents at once that are actively downloading, which you would expect to be the case if it was an actual drop in network connectivity or otherwise losing access to the share. There's plenty of free space (terabytes) and the file name path is not even close to approaching the 255-character limit. I am, however, using a Private Internet Access VPN for torrenting while the network drives are mapped internally straight to the hypervisor.

I've been experiencing this for months ever since I started using qBittorrent (it coincided with setting up a new server altogether at home), and I'd really like to continue using it, but randomly resuming these (which usually works, but not always) is annoying. I suspect it may be related to saving the data (I have full control over the entire remote drives, by the way; and I set qBittorrent to launch as admin every time) to a network path across a different connection than where the data is coming in from since I'm using a VPN, but I'm not sure. A full chkdsk scan has been run on the physical drives on the hypervisor and there are no issues, and these errors persist randomly if I change the path to one of my other network drives. (Each network drive corresponds to a separate physical disk in the hypervisor, it's not a RAID virtual disk to different folder paths, or anything.)

Thoughts? Also, I edited the name of the media in the log file examples to be generic, but rest assured there's nothing abnormal about the name of the media in the torrents or that it's too many characters.
Last edited by Roland Deschain on Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.