How to use "set location" function to move torrents to new location

Windows specific questions, problems.
tagslc

How to use "set location" function to move torrents to new location

Post by tagslc »

tia for any and all replies

i have torrents to move to a new hdd & kitkat mentioned using the set location function to do this
I have not done this b4 and am anxious to attempt w/o knowing what i am doing ( read,afraid i may/will screw it all up )
KitKat

Re: How to use "set location" function to move torrents to new location

Post by KitKat »

Sent you a quick pm regarding this but i'll elaborate here incase others run into the same issue.

Method 1: QBT knows about the file & its in the 100% seeding/paused state like so http://i.imgur.com/MJObnsB.png

1. Right click the torrent and click "open destination folder", if it opens the correct directory proceed to step 2.
If not then the path is invalid and qbittorent is mis-reporting its status and see Method 2.

2. Right click the torrent(s) and click "set location" then select a new location.

3. Qbittorent will slow down as its single threaded, active downloads may halt while it moves the file, it will not show a progress bar. (plz fix)
Allow it to finish/wait for the I/O useage to normalise (it will be up in the MB's while moving files) then continue.

4. Right click the torrent, click "open destination folder" it should open the torrent in the new location you set and thus confirm its moved.

Warning: Qbt will OVERWRITE any files with the same name as the torrents payload in the directory you move it to without asking.
Eg if i move linux.iso from D:\ to E:\Isos and there is a linux.iso in E:\Isos already it will be overwritten by the linux.iso file located in the D:\ drive (the one you moved)

Method 2: qbittorent doesnt know about the files/files have already been moved.
1. Make sure the folder where qbt thinks the files are is EMPTY make sure there are NO PARTIAL FILES.
2. PAUSE ALL THE TORRENTS.
3. Right click the torrents and click set location to point them to where the payload is really stored, wait a while for qbittorent to update its stuff.
4. Right click a torrent and click "open destination folder" it should open the folder where the files are located.
5. Force Recheck the torrents, qbittorent should detect them now, if not restart qbittorent.

Warning: If there are partial files with the SAME filename as the complete files when you set location, the partial files WILL overwrite the complete files.
ThyTorrenter

Post by ThyTorrenter »

Thanks for the detailed info. Just a question before I attempt this, when source/destination folders are on the same drive, will the Move operation essentially be an instant relocation (as happens in File Explorer for example when moving files/folders on the same drive) or it will actually copy/paste/delete all files from start to finish (which will be a lot of unnecessary work for the HDD for large torrents) as described in Method 1/Point 3 above?
Last edited by ThyTorrenter on Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KitKat

Post by KitKat »

In my experience instantaneous, not 100% sure as i seem to recall arvidn, (the libtorrent author) saying something about changing how the move function works..