I think my new ISP is throttling JUST my Qbittorrent client...

Windows specific questions, problems.
latheofheaven

I think my new ISP is throttling JUST my Qbittorrent client...

Post by latheofheaven »

DAMN!  In all these years this has never happened.  But, lately Spectrum just bought Time Warner in our area and is our new cable provider.  I did a general speed test and I am getting the full 10 Mbit/sec DL speed.  BUT... and I've never seen this before, when I am using QBittorrent the speeds combined no matter what the torrents only go up to about 2 Mbit/sec.  Geez, this really sux!  To test if it is the client being throttled, I DL a very well seeded Ubuntu torrent that had over 2000 seeders.  Yep, same thing.  The overall DL speed never exceeded 2 Mbit/sec.

What a drag...  I don't suppose that you guys have worked any magic that by some arcane chance works around this kind of thing...?

Thanks!
bernardz

Re: I think my new ISP is throttling JUST my Qbittorrent client...

Post by bernardz »

Try a VPN or proxy and see if it is still happening. If yes then its probably something else.
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

qBitTorrent displays its download and upload speeds in MegaBYTES/second.
So if you're getting 2 MB/sec download speed in qBT that's really about 17 megabits/second download speed from your ISP.
Herrn Jensen

Post by Herrn Jensen »

I have heard that fair internet use has come under heavy attack in the US the last 2 weeks.

My ISP has made me sit behind a NAT ( limited IPv4 addresses ), so unless I pay for a fix address or VPN upload is nearly 0.
Good thing is, tracking from film/music/... lawyers is much more difficult for them. Now they have to know the exact time, port and ip address, and hope my ISP do a lot of logging
Bad thing is, I cannot help distribute opensource anymore.
latheofheaven

Post by latheofheaven »

[quote="Switeck"]
qBitTorrent displays its download and upload speeds in MegaBYTES/second.
So if you're getting 2 MB/sec download speed in qBT that's really about 17 megabits/second download speed from your ISP.
[/quote]

Heh, yeah, that's what I meant.  I never do get that right...  8)

Thanks to the rest of you too for your comments.  I spent a couple of hours after that happened researching VPNs, which is probably a good idea anyway, but the absolute TOP speed, MAYBE was about 40 M/sec and my service is rated at 100, so that cuts it down quite a bit anyway in the best case scenario.

Strangely, after a couple of hours I noticed my speed varying a LOT.  It would be around 1.6 M/sec or so and then in a couple of seconds bounce up to 40.  It's like they were messing around with it or something.  Well, I GUESS if they still allow me 20% of my top speed, it certainly could be a LOT worse.

And, YES, I am in the US, and YES I read that they recently killed the nice, net-neutrality law that Obama had put into place.

Good going guys...

Cheers!
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

[quote="latheofheaven"]the absolute TOP speed, MAYBE was about 40 M/sec and my service is rated at 100, so that cuts it down quite a bit anyway in the best case scenario.

Strangely, after a couple of hours I noticed my speed varying a LOT.  It would be around 1.6 M/sec or so and then in a couple of seconds bounce up to 40.  It's like they were messing around with it or something.[/quote]40 mbit/sec instead of 100 mbit/sec?
1.6 mbit/sec?

I've made a few posts about how badly messed up qBitTorrent's performance is. Mainly, it's uTP going crazy -- and that can cause random slowdowns and may fail to let qBT reach max speeds for the connection. Some qBT versions work better than others...and the problem is being looked into. uTP is too common and too important to do away with it, (beyond temporary tests) so I hope it's fixed soon.
latheofheaven

Post by latheofheaven »

Hmmm, it never evey crossed my mind that Qbittorrent itself was suddenly acting up...???  I suppose if the developers here find something that they need to address, I would guess that they will update the version.

I wonder what could have changed to affect it's DL speed all of the sudden?
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

How much and how fast is qBitTorrent uploading?
How fast is your connection's max sustainable upload? Some cable ISPs have a burst mode that can briefly exceed normal max, just long enough to "confuse" speed tests.

qBT may be suffering from lots of torrents running at once relative to your connection's ability. This can happen even without changing qBT's settings just by starting more-and-more torrents but not stopping very many if any.
latheofheaven

Post by latheofheaven »

I'm not DLing at the moment, but next time I do I will check on that.  Last night the overall speed seemed to be a lot better.  I'm pretty much sure that whatever was going on at that moment was just the provider screwing around with something, but I'm not getting the impression that it is permanent (I certainly hope not)

The primary thing that was concerning me at that particular moment, was that I was DLing torrents with plenty of seeders and the speed stayed around 2 MB/sec(I hope I have the notation right this time :) ) And, as per someone's suggestion, I tried DLing an Ubuntu torrent that had like 2000 seeders and the speed didn't change.  So, THAT was my first indication.  But, I THINK it's improved.  I will check tonight to see how it goes...

Thanks!
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

That's why I asked about upload -- limited too low and peers can refuse to upload to you automatically or manually.
Upload set too high can cause download speeds to fall immensely as well.

It has to be balanced for your connection -- many would say 80% of upload maximum, but that could be a little too high if you're downloading >5x that speed.

Do a speed test (I recommend DSL Reports one) during "bad" peak evening hours with little-to-nothing else going on. Your ISP may have reset your modem to a slower speed or just be overloaded/slow at those hours.
latheofheaven

Post by latheofheaven »

Ah, I see...  I think I set my QBT upload speed for about 1 MB/sec and I will check again, but I THINK my maximum upload speed is about 2 MB/sec.  And, my maximum DL speed SHOULD be about 10 MB/sec.  I am curious to check it again.  I've been using Time Warner's (now Spectrum's) speed test site, but I've heard some say that the provider's own site could be misleading. When I was experiencing the slower DL speeds, I don't THINK my UL speed was affected, but I'll check again if I can find some good stuff tonight...  :)

A REAL good test is a torrent site in Russia called HDClub because their stuff is usually very well seeded, especially newer torrents.  That is the only site where I've actually seen the maximum DL speeds, sometimes even exceeding it.  I'll also check the Ubuntu DL torrents too.
latheofheaven

Post by latheofheaven »

Okay, I THINK that it is maybe a false alarm after all; OR, they were just screwing around with the service the other night.

I'm running some torrents right now, and they all were, again, only at a combined DL speed of about 1.5 MB/sec.  So, I snagged the Ubuntu torrent and dropped that in there.  Immediately, my DL speed went up to about 9 MB/sec.  So, I think for now it probably is okay.  BUT... the other night, I could've SWORN that the overall DL speed test was like 10MB/sec, but QBT was only going at about 1.5-2, even when I added the Ubuntu torrent. Sooooo... I sure HOPE they are not playing around with throttling torrent clients.  I guess we'll see...

Appreciate all the input though, thanks!
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

You may not have imagined it.
Weird invisible speed ceilings can happen:
http://forum.deluge-torrent.org/viewtop ... =7&t=54353

...and I can only speculate that it's caused by uTP interactions with slow peers/seeds.
latheofheaven

Post by latheofheaven »

Hmmm, interesting...

Thanks Bro for all the help!