Waiting for qbittorrent, saving torrent progress upon reboot/shut down

Windows specific questions, problems.
h931

Waiting for qbittorrent, saving torrent progress upon reboot/shut down

Post by h931 »

I am on Win7x64 sp1, and have the latest qB. I have like 70-ish torrents with various size, all of which are only seeding now. Every time I attempt to reboot or shut down I get the 'waiting for qbittorrent saving torrent progress' (see attachment), which hangs my system for about 1 min or so and then it does reboot/shut down. Luckily I'm on a good SSD so the hang is not as long, I read that for others the hang takes quite forever. So, is it possible to do something to avoid this hang? I mean, I can always force close it when it prompts with the 'waiting for qbittorrent saving torrent progress' message, but I'd rather have it not display this prompt at all. This is just a general question, no criticism, so pls let me know if it can be fixed on the user side. I'm sure that on the dev side, the devs will do whatever is necessary, whenever they can, to address the issue.

EDIT: to clarify a bit more on the issue - it's as if qB is doing something like indexing, which is causing the hang. Have had this issue with previous version of qB as well, not only with the latest one. Ofc the issue never happens when I just right-click and exit qB. It only happens when qB is running and at that moment I hit restart or shut down. As I said I am only seeding torrents, nothing else for now, and yet the issue is still there. It even happens when nothing is being seeded, cos sometimes the net is bad and the uploads don't even run at all. And even then the issue is still there.
Attachments
Untitled.png
Last edited by h931 on Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
saywhat

Re: Waiting for qbittorrent, saving torrent progress upon reboot/shut down

Post by saywhat »

I don't know the answer h931 but I have the same problem. Sometimes it causes many of my torrents to be in the forced recheck state when I start qbittorrent the next time and I have to wait ages for the many large torrents to be rechecked before they restart...very annoying. I'm in the habit now of making sure qbittorrent has fully shut down using task manager before I shut down the computer. I'm on win7 64bit as well.
h931

Post by h931 »

Yes, your strategy is the right one. If you really wanna avoid the problem, make sure to turn off qB be4 shutting down/rebooting, because it is exactly the 'force closing' of qB (when the annoying prompt pops up) which causes the (let's call it) indexing to be interrupted and the result of that is that after the next system boot up, qB naturally recheck's all torrents cos it couldn't 'save torrent progress' (as the prompt calls it). If you r on an SSD then it's really not that big an annoyance, but still ... an odd issue.

Any one from the admins or the devs has some input on this? As I said - could sth be done for this on the user end or we just live with it and move on?
h931

Post by h931 »

Hm, 46 reads and no replies?? That's odd. I mean, if there's nothing that can be done on the user end you can just say so, so that users know not to post and ask about that any more. And if there's something that can be done about this on the dev end, then at least you guys are aware of the issue and u can figure out if/when you wanna address it. I just thing user feedback such as this thread is helpful for the development of a better qB.
stihia

Post by stihia »

I always exit qB with right-click - Exit. This is the way to avoid these forced shutdowns and rechecks.

Are you using OS cache? Try to disable it in Advanced section and see if the problem persists.
h931

Post by h931 »

[quote="stihia"]
I always exit qB with right-click - Exit. This is the way to avoid these forced shutdowns and rechecks.

Are you using OS cache? Try to disable it in Advanced section and see if the problem persists.
[/quote]

10x for the reply! OS cache? Could you elaborate on that? Are you talking about the page file under System properties / Advanced / Perf Options / Advanced / Virt. memory?
stihia

Post by stihia »

In qbittorrent Options -> Advanced -> uncheck Enable OS cache.
h931

Post by h931 »

[quote="stihia"]
In qbittorrent Options -> Advanced -> uncheck Enable OS cache.
[/quote]

10x for your input. Tried it. Didn't work ... any other ideas?
saywhat

Post by saywhat »

[quote="stihia"]
[/quote]

I use File/Exit and still get the problem.
h931

Post by h931 »

[quote="saywhat"]
[quote="stihia"]
[/quote]

I use File/Exit and still get the problem.
[/quote]

well, that is sorta weird. you hit exit and you get the prompt as seen in my OP? that's odd ... then i guess your system might be slow and the actual qB process is still active. you can check by hitting exit and then looking at your task manager to see if the qb process is still active.
saywhat

Post by saywhat »

No, what I meant was even if I use File/Exit to exit qbittorrent then sometimes when I start qbittorrent again I have the many files being force rechecked problem, even when I know qbittorrent was fully shut down. It seems that whatever qbittorrent does when it shuts down is sometimes getting corrupted somehow.
h931

Post by h931 »

ok, that's not the case for me. the op was just about the annoying prompt during the shutdown/reboot sequence. but sad to hear you have this extra issue too.
stihia

Post by stihia »

@h931 and saywhat

Maybe a lower half-open connections number could be helpful... I have mine set at 10.
You can try to disable DHT (at least temporarily).
And also ipfiltering, if you're using it.
It's a good idea to uncheck "exchange trackers with other peers" in advanced settings (not only for the problem you have now).
h931

Post by h931 »

[quote="stihia"]It's a good idea to uncheck "exchange trackers with other peers" in advanced settings (not only for the problem you have now).
[/quote]

Thanks for your input! "exchange trackers with other peers" is unchecked for me, which means that by default it is unchecked, cos I never ever touched this setting before. What does it do anyway and why is it good not only for the problem we have now with the reboot sequence?
stihia

Post by stihia »

You're welcome!

About this setting: index.php/topic,1783.0.html

In my last post I was trying to suggest to (temporarily) eliminate few of the causes of excessive connections that may have an influence on exit delays.