Windows specific questions, problems.
TheInvoker

Post by TheInvoker »

I can't find where i can download the beta.
4 days ago they said "3.4.0beta is being prepped and will be released this weekend". Now it's monday so the beta is out but i don't know where i can download it
Deranox

Re: 3.4.0

Post by Deranox »

Sledge also said "The weekend isn't over yet". Well it's over now ... no beta. Though I saw a post that there's a memory leak with 1.1 lib so maybe they're trying to fix that first and then release it. We should have been kept up to date a bit though.
pesqb

Post by pesqb »

yeah, now it's monday already even in Baker Island!  :(
https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/usa/baker-island
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

But seriously, this is not Microsoft with some tight release schedule. (And even those vendors slip sometimes.) Just sit tight.
Michel_Olski

Post by Michel_Olski »

I think they were supposed to release the first beta last week xD
I don't complain. I would appreciate an information from devs about any delays and maybe a reason of them since they already decided to provide a time frame.
TheInvoker

Post by TheInvoker »

3 weeks ago they said "this weeked or next one"..and nothing happened
If tehy announce again "beta will be out this weeked" it's because they are sure they are going o do it,after what they said the 2 weeks before.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

If it slips another week, we will just switch to Valve time. :)
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

The beta is posted about an hour ago.
I would have posted yesterday, but I discovered that the 32bit version was crashing on Windows XP. One thing led to another, it was after midnight, the next morning was working time.
I had figured that libtorrent 1.1.x was at fault, but no time to do proper installers+uploading till one hour ago.
Michel_Olski

Post by Michel_Olski »

I noticed that downloading a Big torrent (35GB) the 3.4 uses more then 600MB of RAM while uTorrent 2.2.1 (I guess you hate hearing that name) uses around 45MB. The difference is huge and that's with only one torrent added. On other machine I have a session with hundreds of them. I'm scared to even try upgrading it. On the other hand it seems to be quite stable. Not a single crash so far. It's also well translated which is always nice.
pesqb

Post by pesqb »

Hooray! \o/
First goodies I noticed were the Tags and the system file type specific icons in contents tab, as I'm enjoying the beautiful UI new icons since Dayman's 3.3.11 releases.
Thanks, Sledge and all involved!
Last edited by pesqb on Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

[quote="Michel_Olski"]
I noticed that downloading a Big torrent (35GB) the 3.4 uses more then 600MB of RAM while uTorrent 2.2.1 (I guess you hate hearing that name) uses around 45MB. The difference is huge and that's with only one torrent added. On other machine I have a session with hundreds of them. I'm scared to even try upgrading it. On the other hand it seems to be quite stable. Not a single crash so far. It's also well translated which is always nice.
[/quote]

Well that must be file cache, not qBittorrent itself. Check your cache settings in both clients (IMO).
Michel_Olski

Post by Michel_Olski »

Actually that was being used by qBittorrent.exe itself. More then 600 MB of used RAM while OS Cache was Enabled. Disabling it didn't make any difference.
The 3.3.15 releases with the same torrent used around 50 MB of RAM, similar values to uTorrent 2.2.1
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

Not saying it cannot happen, just thinking what might have caused it.

- Did you check stats when uTorrent already had the file (so 0 dl) and was only seeding.
- Did you have a fast download speed with qBittorrent (hence, high ram use.)
- Did you have had a specific ram cache setup, I use 1GB on my PC, so that may be the issue.
- uTorrent may report usage differently (since it uses win32 api), but it shows "reality" in the bottom stat page.

(And of course, thank you for helping out with testing.)
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

[quote="Michel_Olski"]
[/quote]

I think there is a change on how libtorrent interprets "auto" for cache size between 1.0.x and 1.1.x versions. Go to advanced settings and set it to something really conservative, like 15MiB and see what happens.
Michel_Olski

Post by Michel_Olski »

[quote="sledgehammer_999"]
[quote="Michel_Olski"]
[/quote]

I think there is a change on how libtorrent interprets "auto" for cache size between 1.0.x and 1.1.x versions. Go to advanced settings and set it to something really conservative, like 15MiB and see what happens.
[/quote]

But the OS cache was enabled.
I thought that the "auto" setting works only when the OS cache is disabled and libtorrent handles that.