Downloads not restarting after internet reconnect

Windows specific questions, problems.
Sshaun_10

Downloads not restarting after internet reconnect

Post by Sshaun_10 »

I have qBittorrent and PIA, with the killswitch enabled and my qBittorrent linked to the VPN network interface, so whenever my VPN disconnects (which is usually 2-3 times per day) my qBittorrent stops downloading immediately.

However when the VPN reconnects, my downloads do not restart. They get stuck on "stalled" until I restart qBittorrent, after which everything has to "check" and then downloading usually resumes fine.

I can't find anything online about how to fix this, any one had this problem and found a way around it? I don't want to have to restart the client multiple times a day since the checking of the torrents usually takes ages
there

Re: Downloads not restarting after internet reconnect

Post by there »

Hi Sshaun_10

I am also with PIA, have the exact same problem as you. I have noticed that it mostly seems to happen when I torrent. I get about 15 mins between resets, and have my line often go down more than 5 time in an hour.  This is my last year with PIA.

I am here to find the same answer and fix as you. Sad but glad to find out that it is just not me with this issue. I also had this same issue with other ISPs too :(
there

Post by there »

Hi again Sshaun_10,

Are you using Avira?  If so Right click on Icon and untick Enable Real-time Protection. Now start you torrents again. I have just had a stable 3 hour stint which is unprecedented, or PIA have fixed stuff on their side?
coolio2013

Post by coolio2013 »

[quote="Sshaun_10"]
I have qBittorrent and PIA, with the killswitch enabled and my qBittorrent linked to the VPN network interface, so whenever my VPN disconnects (which is usually 2-3 times per day) my qBittorrent stops downloading immediately.

However when the VPN reconnects, my downloads do not restart. They get stuck on "stalled" until I restart qBittorrent, after which everything has to "check" and then downloading usually resumes fine.

I can't find anything online about how to fix this, any one had this problem and found a way around it? I don't want to have to restart the client multiple times a day since the checking of the torrents usually takes ages
[/quote]

If everything else is right, it could help to change the listening port for incoming connections. The green ball will change to yellow and should become green again, after reaching a certain amount of nodes. D/L should start, after most I/O jobs have been completed (View/Statistics, for me it starts around 100 usually). For some reason, qbt or libtorrent is checking torrents all the time and reading huge amounts of data, even paused torrents.

HTH.
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

[quote="coolio2013"]For some reason, qbt or libtorrent is checking torrents all the time and reading huge amounts of data, even paused torrents.[/quote]Sounds like qBT bugs honestly.

It doesn't sound exactly like some force recheck qBT bugs I've read about at github qBT issues...but it sounds similar.
Usually after a bad crash, qBT may recheck some/all torrents loaded in it. This can take a very long time with enough torrents on a slow, large HDD.

So the kill switch for the VPN may be glitching qBT up in some way, enough so qBT tries to recheck torrents?
coolio2013

Post by coolio2013 »

Switeck wrote:
coolio2013 wrote:For some reason, qbt or libtorrent is checking torrents all the time and reading huge amounts of data, even paused torrents.
Sounds like qBT bugs honestly.
Often very difficult to tell, except for arvidn or sledge and some others DEEP inside the sources.
It doesn't sound exactly like some force recheck qBT bugs I've read about at github qBT issues...but it sounds similar.
Usually after a bad crash, qBT may recheck some/all torrents loaded in it. This can take a very long time with enough torrents on a slow, large HDD.
Yes, but then the status is not 'Paused'. It will be checked (LOG: Fast resume data rejected...).
Several bugs have been opened on that. Seems it is a minor issue for devs, but it is a huge issue for me (due to slow network shares).
This is somewhat similar https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorrent/issues/4456, but my files exist.
This https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorrent/issues/6754 is by myself. I closed it when I came to the conclusion that it is a duplicate.
This https://github.com/arvidn/libtorrent/issues/1869 is a little weird and on Deluge.
So the kill switch for the VPN may be glitching qBT up in some way, enough so qBT tries to recheck torrents?
No, usually the killswitch just removes the IP from the interface or disable the interface, so qbt won't get any data.
I have no idea what causes qbt to start huge amounts of IO tasks after reconnect and changing the port.

Btw, the status doesn't change to 'Checking...', torrents remain on previous status in the GUI, but files are just hashed or at least existance is checked, see screenshot in my https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorrent/issues/6754.

Wondering if changing the port helps Sshaun_10?
Sshaun_10

Post by Sshaun_10 »

Changing the listening ports doesn't seemed to have helped. Tried turning off the VPN killswitch and that didn't work either. It's really frustrating because my PIA disconnects and reconnects multiple times a day. Maybe I should just change VPN providers? I really don't want to switch torrent clients since qbt has my favorite layout.
coolio2013

Post by coolio2013 »

[quote="Sshaun_10"]
Changing the listening ports doesn't seemed to have helped. Tried turning off the VPN killswitch and that didn't work either. It's really frustrating because my PIA disconnects and reconnects multiple times a day. Maybe I should just change VPN providers? I really don't want to switch torrent clients since qbt has my favorite layout.
[/quote]

Which version are you using? OS?
You'll have to try others, if nothing helps.
PIA is one of the more widely used.  I did have about 10 reconnects to my VPN in the last 2 days, not any issue with qbt 3.3.14 on Windows.
experimental

Post by experimental »

I had the same problem I use the script over here at https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/forum/discussion/23542/powershell-port-forwarding-for-utorrent-qbittorrent-other-for-new-api?new=1

It uses openvpn to connect, and the scripts check to make sure qbitorrent isn't stalled, and can request port forwarding.  It's written in powershell so you can follow and see what it does.