Which to use: 32-bit or 64-bit version?

Windows specific questions, problems.
zanadoo

Which to use: 32-bit or 64-bit version?

Post by zanadoo »

I'm running Windows 7 x64, and have been using the 32-bit version of qBitorrent to date. On the download page I see there is now an official 64-bit version too. But i saw the following notice:

64-bit NOTICE: The 64-bit version is only compatible with Windows Vista+.
Also you might experience increased memory usage compared to the 32-bit version.

Is there any reason for me to switch to the 64-bit version? What are the benefits? Will this memory usage issue be resolved, or is it a permanent feature of the 64-bit version?
Switeck

Re: Which to use: 32-bit or 64-bit version?

Post by Switeck »

qBT 64bit can consume considerably more RAM than qBT 32bit can:
index.php/topic,2042.msg26419.html#msg26419

qBT 32bit WILL crash if it consumes more than 2 GB RAM, qBT 64bit will not... but this should not happen if qBT's cache is set to less than 1000 MB size.
zanadoo

Post by zanadoo »

Thanks. So if I understand correctly, the memory issue is not a bug, just an expected feature of the 64-bit version?

Also, regarding qBT's cache settings, is it "Disk Write Cache Size" where I should set the size to 1000 MB?
Last edited by zanadoo on Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stihia

Post by stihia »

Just go with the x64 version, both (32 and 64) versions are buggy regarding the RAM consumption (at least for me), but x64 is superior in connectivity, speeds stability and few other things.
[quote="zanadoo"]
Also, regarding qBT's cache settings, I could only find "Enable OS Cache" [ON/OFF] in Settings|Advanced (qBT 3.3.16). Where can I set the size in MB?
[/quote]
Right there - Disk cache section
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

[quote="zanadoo"]So if I understand correctly, the memory issue is not a bug, just an expected feature of the 64-bit version?[/quote]The memory usage of the cache is high both for qBT 32bit and 64bit versions. It's about 25-35% larger than the cache size suggests when it probably should be more like 1-5% larger. At the upper limit, that means over a GB of extra ram is used. qBT 64bit can "tie up" directly about 5.5-6 GB of ram with a max-size full cache...and if the OS is caching torrent files as well, possibly over 16 GB.

stihia answered the cache's setting location. It's right next to the cache duration which defaults to 60 seconds...that probably needs to be raised to 600 seconds for dealing with slow peers and seeds. A 4 MB piece can easily take that long to upload/download when there's only 1 peer or seed on each end.