Poor performance after upgrade to 4.0.1

Windows specific questions, problems.
Phydeaux

Poor performance after upgrade to 4.0.1

Post by Phydeaux »

After upgrading from 3.3.11 to 4.0.1 and changing no settings at all, I noted a low number of DHT nodes, but left it overnight and files seem to have downloaded OK and DNT nodes green, although smallish number. Several days on it's clearly not working well. DHT nodes always low (2-8 when normally around 400), slow download speeds (about a 10th of normal) and lots of downloads stuck at 0.0% but still listed as "Downloading" so therefore preventing items further down the list from even starting.

Installed 3.3.16 over top of 4.0.1 and items in the queue immediately took off, normal speeds and DHT nodes up at 380 at the moment. HUH?

Any ideas? I prefer the web UI in the latest version but not at the expense of core functionality.

FYI:  Windows 7 64-bit, originally qBittorent 3.3.11 32-bit, then 4.0.1 32-bit, now 3.3.15 64-bit. Using PIA VPN to recommended settings (no router port forwarding etc..), not using SOCKS proxy, qBittorent bound to VPN adapter, all ports.

Cheers,
Robert
Presidential

Re: Poor performance after upgrade to 4.0.1

Post by Presidential »

Agreed, but I'll go further ... my entire internet connection was bollixed! Couldn't browse in any of my browsers -- a complete shit-show! Reverted to 3.16, and all's well!
ranch

Re: *HORRIBLE performance after upgrade to 4.0.1

Post by ranch »

With 3.3.16 I was getting 8MB/sec on my current queue. After upgrading to 4.0.1, it dropped to maybe 30kb/sec at most. Reinstalled 3.3.16, speeds shot right back up to 8MB/sec. Kinda wonder if 4.0.1 was tested before release considering the massively crippled speeds.

Windows 7, 32bit.
Francesc

Post by Francesc »

Hello,

Same here, when I switched to 4.0.1 x64, download speed started flapping.
Since I reverted back to 3.3.16 x64 download speed is more consistent, like before.
Derock

Post by Derock »

Same problem with Windows 7 x64. Downloads spike to normal speed for 5 seconds then drop to a sustained 30 kiB/s. Also can't load a webpage. Thought it was my VPN... I'll try downgrading but I just noticed that there is a new version of qbittorrent 4.0.2 and maybe it will be fixed.
TonyTP

Post by TonyTP »

Same: I had 55-60MB/sec steady speed on private trackers on V3.3.16, on V4.0.0 & 4.0.1 I rarely get more than 20MB and speed goes up&down non-stop. It's strange this has not gotten more attention, this is a really nasty bug imo. I actually switched to QbitTorrent due to getting better speed than utorrent, now I am getting way worse speed than any utorrent client.

Has any of the developers commented on this bug? I saw there is a V4.0.2 when I logged in this morning although nothing happens when I try to run the x64 installer. Click to start several times but nothing runs :S
Phydeaux

Post by Phydeaux »

Just circling back on this issue. I've installed 4.0.2 64-bit and all is well. DHT nodes normal, downloads speeds back up to normal and stable rates.

I certainly understand that a next generation version (3.x -> 4.x) with a lot of changes can go through some teething pains, and the devs have been busy releasing to hotfixes in just over week which is commendable. But it would sure be nice if there was some feedback from the devs or representative on this forum. I get that bugs need to be reported at github, but some general status of the current version would be helpful here...

Cheers,
Robert
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

You could try out some things here:
https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorrent/issues/7954

As I have mentioned several times on different topics I had the same speed issue but disabling the OS cache and setting cache to 0 (disabled) solved my speed problems I had also:
https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorrent/issues/7741

I think that the cache settings is working differently with libtorrent 1.1.5 that is used with the newest releases (I think, not sure). Im following this issue carefully at the Github page for any updates about it.
Derock

Post by Derock »

Upgrade to 4.0.2 fixed this problem for me. Back to normal!
ranch

Post by ranch »

I gave 4.0.2 a shot and the horrible speeds seemed to be resolved. Although I still might go back to 3.3.16 because of the ugly icons in 4.x.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

Most of the performance issues are related to libtorrent 1.1.5, the back end where qBittorrent is build on. Some issues have been reported directly to libtorrent author.
As you maybe know, the "heart" of qBittorrent is libtorrent and it is responsible to all torrent-related activity. I think, the issue maybe in libtorrent itself, especially considering the fact with NO issue in 3.3.16. The difference between 3.3.x and 4.x versions is 3.3.x use libtorrent 1.0 and 4.x use libtorrent 1.1.
Last edited by Nemo on Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grr.la

Post by grr.la »

This happend to my setup after upgrading to 4.0.2 from the latest 3.x release. No new torrents have been added. The graph is a only representing qbittorrent.exe
I guess you can pinpoint at which date i did the upgrade... :-\

Hope this gets better very soon.
TonyTP

Post by TonyTP »

speed seems to be back to normal on 4.0.2, good job
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

[quote="grr.la"]The graph is a only representing qbittorrent.exe[/quote]I think the CPU % usage is also rather high, unless the Working Set (MByte) is the instantaneous speed...in which case 600 MB/sec is insane.
karserasl

Post by karserasl »

Well.. I changed form utorrent 2.2.1 that i used for 8 years to 4.0.2, just cause i wanted to go with a client that has active? development and be opensource.

Just check the image attached. First lines of the graph shows the qbittorent downloading a very! well seeded torrent from a private tracker, full of seedboxes. No more than 3-4 MB/s and very unstable.  Stopped it at 50% done.

Second lines is the same torrent, resumed from 50% on utorrent. Maxed my line, and going full stable till the end.

Sorry but im going back to my trusted old client.

Attachments
Capture1.PNG