Poor performance after upgrade to 4.0.1

Windows specific questions, problems.
S.H.Bouwhuis

Re: Poor performance after upgrade to 4.0.1

Post by S.H.Bouwhuis »

Aha! I thought it was just me!
I still have trouble with v4.0.2. I'll revert to v3.3.16.

I hate the fact that I went from uTorrent to qBittorrent because uTorrent was constantly broken. Now, qBittorrent seems to go down the same path.
grr.la

Post by grr.la »

[quote="Switeck"]
[quote="grr.la"]The graph is a only representing qbittorrent.exe[/quote]I think the CPU % usage is also rather high, unless the Working Set (MByte) is the instantaneous speed...in which case 600 MB/sec is insane.
[/quote]
Sadly no  :), it's the amount of ram used which has also more than doubled since the upgrade.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

Makes me laugh a little inside that some already compare it with uTorrent or some sort. Atleast you get a changelog every new release compared to uTorrent ::).

- Latest libtorrent release that is being used at the moment was a request of various users so its done. Correct that it might not be working 100% for everyone but Arvid (libtorrent author, where qBittorrent is based on. All torrent activity is being handled from there) has already began with libtorrent 1.1.6. I experienced similiar issues with Halite that is also using libtorrent.
- Icons change was also a request from the community, I didn't care that much about it but most did (search yourself at the forum). Its also being worked on if you are following Github, most ain't I see.

Big changes brings risks with them and not everything can be tested as every user is using it differently. Thats normal as everyone can make mistakes but everything can be fixed at the end.

In short; Im sure its being worked on. If uTorrent works (at the moment maybe) better for you use it really, no need to mention it here. Thats your choice, qBittorrent v3.3.16 is still there to be downloaded too :).

[quote="grr.la"]
[quote="Switeck"]
[quote="grr.la"]The graph is a only representing qbittorrent.exe[/quote]I think the CPU % usage is also rather high, unless the Working Set (MByte) is the instantaneous speed...in which case 600 MB/sec is insane.
[/quote]
Sadly no  :), it's the amount of ram used which has also more than doubled since the upgrade.
[/quote]

That has a reason if you would follow the releases with libtorrent 1.1.5 (with default settings) and there are ways to lower it. Many have 16GB/32GB of ram anyway, while Chome or Firefox for example are using triple that much but its all fine.

The 3 clients I have installed at the moment:
- qBittorrent v4.0.2:
Not my main at the moment, waiting for v4.0.3 to see what changes it brings.

- Vuze 5.7.6.0:
My main client at the moment with the classic skin. Don't care about RAM usage (150MB/200MB) and works fine. Maxing my speed with default cache settings. There is also an adfree client named BiglyBT from the same authors.

- uTorrent 2.2.1 (build 25534):
My backup client. Didn't used for a while. Couldn't max my speed somehow, always stayed limited to a certain speed. Disk overload sometimes with big chunk size torrents. I was also experiencing client chocking connecting to only uTorrent users (or preferring them over other clients). And its outdated.. But works if you're really desperate to use something.

I want to use qBittorrent again as my main client but I will wait. I do some testing and trying to confirm various bugs to the devs though.
Last edited by Nemo on Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mik0

Post by mik0 »

I also have issue after upgrading to 4.0.x.
Not only the overall performance are worse than 3.3.16 but while qbittorrent is active all internet activity are hindered to the point I cannot even open a page in the browser even if I limited qbittorrent max bandwidth.
Reistalling 3.3.16 solved the issue.
To my understanding this issue was met only by some users (otherwise it wouldn't have passed QA) so I wonder if there is some option I could change to solve the issue on my part and use the new version of the program.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

I still think its all related to libtorrent 1.1.5. Wondering how it would work with the older libtorrent used with v3.3.16 but I think thats not possible.
mik0

Post by mik0 »

[quote="Nemo"]
I still think its all related to libtorrent 1.1.5. Wondering how it would work with the older libtorrent used with v3.3.16 but I think thats not possible.
[/quote]
I don't know.
It's a fact that 3.3.x didn't have this issue and many users reported it for 4.0.x. I believe you when you say that it could be related to the new libtorrent. My point is that if some users don't have this issue with 4.0.x, maybe it's something that can be fixed by changing some setting, otherwise it would mean that a not tested version was pushed as stable when it is not, which I don't think is the case.
I'll stick to 3.3.16 for now and I'll watch the changelogs of future versions to see if the problem is fixed.
s4nder

Post by s4nder »

4.0.2 got really bad for me, 4.0.1 was fine. 100% disk use for a while even after closing the program. Reverted to 4.0.1 and all is well.
mik0

Post by mik0 »

[quote="s4nder"]
4.0.2 got really bad for me, 4.0.1 was fine. 100% disk use for a while even after closing the program. Reverted to 4.0.1 and all is well.
[/quote]
Yeah, that too. Program stay active in memory for a couple of minute after being closed.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

I'll stick to 3.3.16 for now and I'll watch the changelogs of future versions to see if the problem is fixed.
I just did the same, will wait for the future releases and eventually compare them how they perform.
sonoro

Post by sonoro »

How does something written and functional with an update work much worse than before a change by adding a new feature? :o

This is the trick I do not understand in programming!  8)

It is only acceptable if the programmer tinkers with the parts of the code that acts on the upload and download lines.

How can you stop running a well written and functional line from one version to another if the programmer did not handle the upload and download?

It just featured a feature how can a bug come from?

I hope I have made myself understood, my native language is Portuguese will be easier to explain my reasoning in my language .

@Nemo I have my utorrent turbocharged, low with it the maximum speed of my fiber connection if the seeders are good upload speed.

I seebox seeds slower than my download speed and even lines on vpn with ridiculous speeds.

I used qbittorrent, but ignore the upload speed I configured, so I switched to utorrent 2.2.1!

I kept my mouth open when I set my utorrent high performance setting and hit the maximum speed achievable.

I also used tixati but it stopped being good for me not taking advantage of all my connection!
sonoro

Post by sonoro »

@SHBouwhuis

if you want I'll give you my utorrent configuration that he even flies!
peny911

Post by peny911 »

mik0 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:47 pm
s4nder wrote: 4.0.2 got really bad for me, 4.0.1 was fine. 100% disk use for a while even after closing the program. Reverted to 4.0.1 and all is well.
Yeah, that too. Program stay active in memory for a couple of minute after being closed.
now i have this problem again...