V4.04 ignoring upload speed limit

Windows specific questions, problems.
fatman

V4.04 ignoring upload speed limit

Post by fatman »

I have my upload limit set to 50KiB/s and this shows as the limit in the bottom bar, however it still uploads at a much higher rate saturating my Internet connection. It can show current active uploads up to 300KiB/s in the bottom bar

Is this a known issue or is there something I've messed up in the settings?
Last edited by fatman on Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Switeck

Re: V4.04 ignoring upload speed limit

Post by Switeck »

Known issues PLUS possible qBT settings can cause that.

uTP and local peers+seeds may be ignoring your upload limit because qBT is currently set to do that.
So check if they're set to ignore the limits or not.
coolio2013

Post by coolio2013 »

@Switeck:
To which settings are you referring to? Enabled protocols (in 'Connection')? Or Rate Limits Settings (in 'Speed')?

I had to go back to 4.0.3, because 4.0.4 was seeding at max speed (limit set, not obeyed), leaving not any bandwidth for dowloads. Your post sounds like qbt can't control speeds up/down, which can't be true - at least it isn't for 4.0.3.

Perhaps I'll try again with 4.0.4, after 4.03 has crashed again ... ;(
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

Under Options, Speed, Rate Limits Settings...
make sure these are checked:
Apply rate limit to uTP protocol
Apply rate limit to peers on LAN
...but not to apply rate limit to overheads (that can cause massive speed problems)

Intermittent problems can occur if these are not checked, so it may appear to work sometimes...or not at all. qBT v4.0.4 probably highly favors uTP which may not be rate-limited.

I've heard it may help to set individual torrent speeds, just to test...

Crashes can be caused by known qBT bugs concerning extremely long torrent lists (like 3000+ torrents loaded into qBT), torrents on NAS or symbolic link...or with long path+file names, large qBT cache size (on qBT 32bit version especially), and maybe even RSS feed handling...if not others. :(
coolio2013

Post by coolio2013 »

Thanks, Switeck.

Back on 4.0.4:
Turned off 'Apply rate limit to transport overhead', switched to 'uTP only', limited upload for some few torrents...
...and guess what: upload limit is respected.

Now I can't find which option caused maxing out the upload. Weird.
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

Intermittent bugs are the worst...you'll go crazy trying to reproduce them as a troubleshooter or avoid them if you just want to use qBT without problems.